MBP refresh worth the hassle?

crankypsp

Limp Gawd
I purchased a baseline 13 inch mbp on the 26th of September. Now this morning apple has decided to bump their lineup by adding a .1ghz increase in cpu speed and going from a 320gb hdd to a 500hdd for the 13 inch model. Would apple even honor this trade? Its about 28 days or so from purchase but I've heard stories where they do so. And is it even worth the trouble?

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
No, it's not worth the trouble. But if you absolutely want the latest machine, then contact Apple and see if they'll do an exchange.

I wouldn't bother, personally.

I agree with Terpfan, not worth the headache, even in benchmarks, a 100mhz bump is going to be all but undetectable.

Apple will honor it I'm sure, but it's kind of a PITA for the employee, and your not going to see an advantage from it, so why bother?

lamboman

Gawd
Worth a try. If you get a system that is better for no more cash, why not? The extra space can't be a bad thing!

And PITA for the employee? Not really, and it's their job to provide a service to the customer.

Chibo

Gawd
I'd do it, if not just for the increased resale value when it comes time to upgrade.

And PITA for the employee? Not really, and it's their job to provide a service to the customer.

Says the guy who I'm guessing has never worked retail. Yeah, it's a PITA. Not a huge PITA, but a PITA, and sure, it's a PITA that's part of their job, but maybe I spent too many years working computer retail during college/grad school to justify the amount of PITA for what amounts to a basically non-existant speed bump.

But, I will freely admit it's completely a person thing. To each their own, ya know.

J W

[H]ard|Gawd
I wouldn't bother with it if I were you. 320 GB should be enough space for a day-to-day machine. If you're going to backup movies or music then you'd probably want something bigger than 500 GB anyways.

xx9e02

n00b
Best case: You come home with a new MBP 13".
Worst case: You come home with your 28 day old MBP 13".

Win-win either way for you, might as well give it a shot.

avddreamr

Gawd
Considering how painless the process will be if you have an externalhdd using time machine, I would give it a go.
Sadly when it comes to resale, people will pay more for that minor speed bump.

weipim

Limp Gawd
what are you thinking ? do it, it's a no brainer man.

even u don't feel the difference in real term, but the potential resale value is huge... u don't want ur laptop to depreciate after 28days by XXX amount....

khanable

[H]F Junkie
I bought mine from microcenter two days before the spec changes.. I don't think it's worth the hassle of taking it back

but to each his own lol

Fully [H]
I wouldn't bother. (I mean its nothing like the C2D -> i5 or the PPC -> Intel)

Andross182

Gawd
I was 6 days outside the window with my MBP...they did not let me exchange it :( Oh well I had the i7/500 gb model anyway