MBP question

holybonkers

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a hub (I guess that's what it would be called?) that I could use to connect my MBP to my speakers and monitor. I've seen people on here using these things before and just having their laptops closed and to the side while they use another monitor, plus it would really help to hook up to my speaker system to get some decent sound without having to use headphones. If you guys could let me know if you know anything about this I'd appreciate it.

Actually I do not think you need anything like a hub or port replicator/docking station. You should have the available ports on your MBP to hook the items directly to it. There is probably a setting to switch the viewing to the secondary monitor and allow the top to be shut.

All you need is a mini-DVI or mini-VGA cable from Apple. The speakers can plug right in.

Thanks for the replies guys. I can see how I'd be able to plug the monitor right in, but I don't see the laptop having all the inputs needed for the speakers...

are you wanting to hook up stereo speakers or something like a 5.1 channel setup?

Just checked and it's true. Looks like a DVI to VGA cable comes in the box too.

my mbp included the DVI->VGA connector.

(using it today, have to do a presentation on a projector in an hour :( )

if you ever decide to go 5.1, you can either output an optical signal from your mbp to your decoder/speakers, or pick up this little box from griffin that will output an analog 5.1 signal

if you ever decide to go 5.1, you can either output an optical signal from your mbp to your decoder/speakers, or pick up this little box from griffin that will output an analog 5.1 signal

Alright thanks, I might just do that once I invest in some better speakers. I pretty much have everything set up now (surprised how easy it was). I'll take some pictures later tonight and put it up on setup thread. Thanks for the advice.

Back