MBP 17" I5 keyboard spilled on, everything works but...

Nicker2009

Limp Gawd
One of my clients brought this MBP with water damage into my shop, The Macbook itself works great every component works flawlessly.

My Issue: the keyboard doesn't work. it did a little bit for a few days, after i cleaned the keyboard it stopped completely. I have a Bluetooth apple keyboard paired up right now and it works fine, and so does everything else. complete normal behavior from this almost brand new MBP

Logicboard: no visible water damage.
Keyboard: visible water damage!
All other components: no visible water damage.

My Question: Everything points to keyboard right? Im thinking so but i never know with a Mac.

I have ordered the keyboard it was freaking $97.00 so I hope logic prevails in the situation.

Thoughts anyone?

Yep, sounds like the keyboard. Mac stuff is always expensive. Let us know how the installation was. What is easy to do on a pc laptop has a ton more steps for a mac.

If you can toss in a new keyboard for $97 and be back to normal that's not bad at all for water damage. Did you order from iFixit? They have pretty good installation guides from what I've heard.

for the macs i'm freaking scared off my pants to even unscrew one thing that i don't need on mac, i would surely screw up something no matter how well the instruction is (but it's just me) but with PC it's piece of cake,

good luck and hope you fix it, considering your i5 MBP i would say $100 is cheap fix. got my self i5 15inch now looking for i7 17inch.

don't worry man, just follow a guide and take pictures as you go for reassurance in putting it back together.

it's really not that different under there. Just a logic board with a bunch of components plugged in. If you can handle other laptop repairs, the MBP shouldn't be a problem. Make sure to check ifixit for the tools you will need, as that always helps.

I have no issue with replacing the keyboard. its very odd actually. Apple claims you have to purchase the whole top assembly...aluminum , trackpad, and keyboard. Although I found the part just fine, the only catch is this....... the keyboard itself has 50 screws into the unibody top case. the screws are ipod size screws as well..... good thing i run a shop and have the precision tools available to do this... Does anyone want me to document the process with pics for future ref, on account of no decent guide being available anywhere?

please ignore my sig by the way. I haven't been on hard forum since the good old days haha.

bump

I replaced the keyboard (guide to follow) and it works just great! thanks everyone!

yay! i knew you could do it, good job! I'm looking forward to seeing your guide.

Awesome! Now use the proceeds that you obtained from that job and rent a Lamborghini for a day!

Like a BOSS!

Back