MB and MBP Dual Link DVI Out

falconman

Limp Gawd
I have a 30 inch display im going to use with my MBP...but in order to run 2560x1600 you need dual link dvi. The mini display-port-->DL DVI is $99! ridiculous considering the display-port to regular dvi is like $30.

Anyone know of a cheeper solution?

Nope. Also you'd think that if it is $99 it should work reliably. NOPE. #1 reason I ditched my MacBook.

yea..i just upgraded from a powerbook to a mbp...only downside is theat $99 cable but i guess ill just eat it...

AFAIK, that MDP to DL DVI adapter isn't even out yet. Last time I checked on apple.com, it just said "shipping in 6 weeks" or something.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any 3rd party solutions, and I doubt any will surface before Apple's own adapter is released. If you're going to be an early adopter, expect to pay the full $100 for it.

EDIT: My bad, looks like it is out now.

its for sale on the apple store, but it has horrible reviews which sucks for anyone trying to run an external display with their mb/mbp....which is alot of people.

I was going to run it with a 30" Gateway HD3000...

Lol Apple isnt charging $99 because they are bored. DisplayPort can't be converted to Dual Link DVI with just an adapter. The Apple "cable" does some kind of active conversion which is why it needs USB power.

Lol Apple isnt charging $99 because they are bored. DisplayPort can't be converted to Dual Link DVI with just an adapter. The Apple "cable" does some kind of active conversion which is why it needs USB power.

A DL DVI out on the mac woulda been nice instead of displayport

Yup, if the new MBP has a dual link DVI I would be typing on one now instead of the older version.

Back