Mayweather-McGregor Fight Outages

Neither fighter landed any significant damage and that's probably due to the 8 oz gloves. I wonder if the fight would have turned out much different had they agreed to use 4 oz gloves? I suspect Mayweather would have been dazed by the increased force and possibly knocked out. Mcgregor even said post interview that Mayweather doesn't punch hard and then Mayweather himself said his hands are brittle.

This was a huge payday fight that seemed rigged to viewers because it was stopped on a TKO when it should have been allowed to go on. Rewind back to old Mike Tyson matches and you will see him knock people to the ground but in this fight the referee stopped it right when things got interesting. So yeah boxing is boring and hasn't interested me since I was a kid and Mike Tyson, Holyfield etc were a thing. These days UFC is far more interesting to watch.

But do you know whats really laughable?

When you're trying to make fun of others by acting like you know what you're talking about; then you call Mayweather a heavyweight.
The only boxers I can name off the top of my head are Ali and Tyson (Tyson is actually pretty impressive to watch) and not a single mma fighter other than McGregor (thanks to this fight). I know jack shit about boxing and mma, yet even I knew an mma fighter had a snowball's chance in hell of beating a boxer at boxing. How anyone who knows anything about either sport could have thought otherwise is a mystery to me.

Pick two superficially similar sports (say F1 and Nascar) and the results would be the same. I'm betting the top Nascar driver would school Lewis Hamilton at a Nascar race, despite Hamilton being a great driver.
I'll even go so far as to say McGregor would wipe the floor with Mayweather if the rematch is an mma fight. Different games, different rules, different skills. There's some crossover (unlike McGregor I'm sure I'd end up hospitalized within 30 seconds of entering either ring) but not enough to impact the outcome.

i agree tyson in his prime was the most dominating fighter the world has ever seen. he would have destroyed ali, frazier, foreman etc had they all been in the same generation.

Yup I'm glad I got to watch him fight when I was young, it was amazing. These guys like Mayweather, mcgregor etc just don't bring the kind of brutal force Tyson had:

It's ironic that the illegal streamers did not have problems catching the fight but the legit buyers did.
The biggest torrent had been spiked with 'fake thunderstorm' satellite artefacting every minute or so. Others did'nt have this issue though.

The only ones who won that fight were Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor.

Floyd = $100 million USD + est. $200 million PPV/gate cut = $300 million (supposedly, he owes $25 million to the IRS)
Conor = $30 million USD + est. $70 million PPV/gate cut = $100 million (benefits from Irish tax rate)

The losers? Anyone who paid to watch the fight. Pure hype to line Floyd/Conor's pockets, nothing else. They might as well have done a fishing competition.

I have boxing journalist friends, and that's what they told me.

Yup I'm glad I got to watch him fight when I was young, it was amazing. These guys like Mayweather, mcgregor etc just don't bring the kind of brutal force Tyson had:

Maaaan I miss those days. Was always a blast to watch Tyson fight even if there were short bouts,

Floyd = $100 million USD + est. $200 million PPV/gate cut = $300 million (supposedly, he owes $25 million to the IRS)
Conor = $30 million USD + est. $70 million PPV/gate cut = $100 million (benefits from Irish tax rate)

The losers? Anyone who paid to watch the fight. Pure hype to line Floyd/Conor's pockets, nothing else. They might as well have done a fishing competition.

Pretty sure MG is getting taxed in the states also since it was on US soil. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if MG walked away with only 20mil after everything. Which won't last him for shit with the life style he lives. How does Floyd owe IRS $25 mil lol. He suppose be worth like $400 mil and can't pay his tax bill?

Pretty sure MG is getting taxed in the states also since it was on US soil. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if MG walked away with only 20mil after everything. Which won't last him for shit with the life style he lives. How does Floyd owe IRS $25 mil lol. He suppose be worth like $400 mil and can't pay his tax bill?

No, Conor has very good financial advisors and they will make sure that "MG the company", as opposed to "MG the foreign individual fighting in the US" will pay what few taxes there are, and besides, Conor isn't incorporated in the US, so he avoids the high corp. tax rate. The "Mad Irishman" will get to keep the vast majority of his earnings.

Mayweather's spending habits make McGregor look like a miserly, penny-pinching tightwad playing with Hot Wheels instead of real cars. This is very well known within the dedicated boxing community -- word is that Floyd has almost depleted his entire "war chest" of $300 million USD from the Pacquiao fight (a mere 2 years ago) and, while he has considerable assets, they are very difficult to convert into capital (especially massive amounts of capital on short notice) -- and it happens that capital is what Floyd needs badly (in terms of taking care of the IRS, and other, lesser, creditors). Mayweather is, quite possibly, the best paid boxer of all time (with a cash flow far surpassing Tyson at his prime), and yet, manages to make Tyson look like a downright cheapskate, given how quickly Floyd tosses his capital away.

The sad part is, if Mayweather continues his spendthrift ways, one could easily see a 50 year old (or so) Floyd doing clown boxing acts for ever-decreasing amounts of money that will only stave off his creditors, not satisfy them. And responsibility lies at the feet of Floyd, not anyone else. Apparently, Mayweather believes himself to be an extremely generous, shrewd, and canny businessman (as many athletes delude themselves into thinking). Warren Buffett this guy is not!

To use an example from another athlete in another sport, Roger Federer (male pro tennis player) happens to have the best and most reliable agent in all of sports, Tony Godsick, and Tony has put together the most complete, comprehensive, diverse, and long-lasting sponsorship package of any athlete around right now. That will take care of Mr. Federer long after he retires from tennis, which is something that cannot be said of practically any other current athlete (Federer has the most diverse and long-lasting set of "multiple streams of income" thanks to Godsick).

Roger will never have to worry about revenue difficulties or a cash-flow break. The same can't be said of Floyd Jr., despite earning approx. 2x more on average than Federer (pro-rated per year).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
To use an example from another athlete in another sport, Roger Federer (male pro tennis player) happens to have the best and most reliable agent in all of sports, Tony Godsick, and Tony has put together the most complete, comprehensive, diverse, and long-lasting sponsorship package of any athlete around right now. That will take care of Mr. Federer long after he retires from tennis, which is something that cannot be said of practically any other current athlete (Federer has the most diverse and long-lasting set of "multiple streams of income" thanks to Godsick).

Roger will never have to worry about revenue difficulties or a cash-flow break. The same can't be said of Floyd Jr., despite earning approx. 2x more on average than Federer (pro-rated per year).

Didn't have to go to Roger, look at Jordan. His NBA career earnings was only $90m, was the top paid NBA athlete only two times. Yet he is worth 1.3 billion now.

Even tho that McGreggor lost he still took home a very nice payday. 30 million good paydays if you ask me.

Didn't have to go to Roger, look at Jordan. His NBA career earnings was only $90m, was the top paid NBA athlete only two times. Yet he is worth 1.3 billion now.

For sure -- I just wanted to use another big and active athlete, not the (retired) Jordan.

Your "friends" told you that because 90% of boxing fans were crying like little babies the entire time saying "this is disrespecting the sport of boxing", lol. Get the hell over it, it was fun leading up to the fight and the fight was fun. I gave my friend $30 since he bought it and I think I got my $30 worth, no doubt.

Another thing that made me lol was Oscar Dela Hoya. He was only crying because his boy Canelo wasn't in the fight. If Canelo was the one fighting Conor, I would literally bet my house that Oscar would be saying the complete opposite of what he tweeted earlier last week.

Bunch of cry babies.

Your "friends" told you that because 90% of boxing fans were crying like little babies the entire time saying "this is disrespecting the sport of boxing", lol. Get the hell over it, it was fun leading up to the fight and the fight was fun. I gave my friend $30 since he bought it and I think I got my $30 worth, no doubt.

Another thing that made me lol was Oscar Dela Hoya. He was only crying because his boy Canelo wasn't in the fight. If Canelo was the one fighting Conor, I would literally bet my house that Oscar would be saying the complete opposite of what he tweeted earlier last week.

Bunch of cry babies.
Oscar has been butt-hurt since Mayweather beat him in '07. He never has anything good to say about Floyd.

He also knows he has a chance to lose his best asset in Golden Boy Promotions if (when) Canelo gets beat and beat badly by Golovkin.

Oscar has been butt-hurt since Mayweather beat him in '07. He never has anything good to say about Floyd.

He also knows he has a chance to lose his best asset in Golden Boy Promotions if (when) Canelo gets beat and beat badly by Golovkin.
You think GGG is going to beat Canelo, badly? Hmmm, I think Canelo wins a decision.

5 rounds of 5 mins vs 12 rounds at 3. But ya not a surprise ending.

$100 for a PPV is just too much for me. Even the UFC events, I only watch the most exciting cards, rest I can wait for highlights. Triple G fight should be worth the money.

It's more than just the time difference though. Boxing you have to stand up the whole time and MMA you spend 75% of it lying on the ground rubbing your dilz on the other guy.

i agree tyson in his prime was the most dominating fighter the world has ever seen. he would have destroyed ali, frazier, foreman etc had they all been in the same generation.

Earnie shavers and Julian Jackson were harder punchers in their respective weight classes.

At one point Julian Jackson was 46-1 with 43 KOs, his finishing record wasn't as good, but he kept fighting well past when he should have retired.

Back