Mayweather-McGregor Fight Outages

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I didn’t get a chance to tune in until it was pretty much over, but it looks like UFC and Showtime PPV had technical issues from intense network load. Fans had to shell out $99.99 for the boxing match, so plenty of people were frustrated even before the fight began. McGregor ended up losing to Mayweather due to fatigue, despite having trained for a 12-round fight.

...those who had technical issues as fight time neared -- on whatever platform -- were fighting mad. The fight was delayed by about 10 minutes as broadcaster Showtime worked to fix the transmission. (Disclosure: Showtime is a subsidiary of CNET parent company CBS.) "Due to high demand, we have reports of scattered outages from various cable and satellite provides and the online offering," Showtime Sports said in a statement. "We will delay the start of the main event slightly to allow for systems to get on track. We do not expect a lengthy delay."

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans had to shell out $99.99 for the boxing match, so plenty of people were frustrated even before the fight began.
And non-fans had to get constantly bombarded with spam about the fight on Xfinity's menu system with every other page having some link to the fight. If DTV carried it I would imagine that as well.

McGregor ended up losing to Mayweather due to fatigue, despite having trained for a 12-round fight.
Yeah big shocker, a guy who's career at most does 5 rounds thinking he can suddenly "train" to do 240% that

5 rounds of 5 mins vs 12 rounds at 3. But ya not a surprise ending.

$100 for a PPV is just too much for me. Even the UFC events, I only watch the most exciting cards, rest I can wait for highlights. Triple G fight should be worth the money.

The Mayweather-McGregor streaming issue has been just about the biggest cluster I've seen online to date this year. People paid nearly $100 for a mediocre fight. What a waste of money.

The Mayweather-McGregor streaming issue has been just about the biggest cluster I've seen online to date this year. People paid nearly $100 for a mediocre fight. What a waste of money.

Doesn't matter, they got their cash...

The Tyson Spinks fight had 10 punches, 90 seconds long and people paid about the same counting for inflation ($50).

My advanced social studies teacher said Boxing is a stupid sport because he sat ring side and watched the blood just drip on ringside.

Doesn't matter, they got their cash...

The Tyson Spinks fight had 10 punches, 90 seconds long and people paid about the same counting for inflation ($50).

I really like Mike Tyson I still have his last book I never got past a few chapters cause it was so good the part on how wacked out Don King is hilarious.

My advanced social studies teacher said Boxing is a stupid sport because he sat ring side and watched the blood just drip on ringside.

As someone who covered boxing and MMA fights I can attest to this fact. Blood is pooled and spilt on the corners that the fighters sit on. Having been showered in the stuff (blood and sweat) during a corner brawl while sitting ringside is not an enjoyable feat, although my ex-wife was cheering like a coke-fiend showered in the stuff. Could've explained a ton of things about my marriage then...

The fight was a good fight, entertaining, and so glad that there was 20 of us to split the fight cost amongst.

My family all pitches in to pay for the fight so its not really that much money in the long run. I enjoyed the fight myself. It was fun. PPV events really seem to get people angry :p

Was a good fight. McGregor just didn't have the conditioning going into the 5th. Rounds 1-3 he won though. I believe Mayweather planned to make McGregor punch him self out, and it worked.

Yeah big shocker, a guy who's career at most does 5 rounds thinking he can suddenly "train" to do 240% that

Not to mention having all the wrong instincts for boxing while fighting a guy who has truly mastered the mechanics and rules of boxing. He really never had a great chance. Mayweather had to lose this one, McGregor couldn't wasn't going to take a win from him.

giving mcgregor props for lasting until the 10th. i thought he would have shot his wad after 4.

Was a good fight. McGregor just didn't have the conditioning going into the 5th. Rounds 1-3 he won though. I believe Mayweather planned to make McGregor punch him self out, and it worked.
That's like 90% of his fights.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I didn't buy the PPV but I don't understand the hate surrounding people who buy it. You don't see people bashing folks for buying WWE PPV's every year (a sport that is completely fake), but buying 1 boxing match that was hyped for over a year is too much.

Its almost like they are trying to justify to themselves why they didn't buy it and are convinced they are smarter than everyone else, so they have to let the world know. Sorta like vegans.

It's ironic that the illegal streamers did not have problems catching the fight but the legit buyers did.

The illegal streams were either all completely down due to bandwitdth limits by the time the main event started, or choppy and unwatchable due to lack of available bandwidth for all the queries. Out of 50 Swim viewed, the only one that was almost acceptable during the fight was a british showtime broadcast in SD (like the box television).

I don't know how it would compare with a game of thrones type broadcast since that can be downloaded at a later time and viewed, but for a single time streaming and viewing it would be up there with the super bowl for viewers.

That fight was so rigged. Too funny. Hope no way put money on the obvious fall guy. Knew it before the fight even happened.

That fight was so rigged. Too funny. Hope no way put money on the obvious fall guy. Knew it before the fight even happened.
Rigged? How so? Have you ever watched Mayweather fight?

He was cocky in the beginning, a little too much. He took some punches he shouldn't have but then straightened his shit up and started boxing his style. He figured out CM and started looking like a boxer. CM has a lot of quick burst energy and hes quick, although Mayweather is quicker even in his old age. I knew how the fight would go all along and I told that to everyone. Even won my bet of Mayweather and over 8 rounds (parlay, best odds for the best bet of about +250).

Everyone knew that CM would get beat, they just did not know if he would get tired enough to get KO'ed or last to a decision.

Mayweather can take a punch believe it or not and he knows how to defend. People may not like his style, but he is 50-0 so hate all you want.

I think Saturday night is going to be another night that hurt future boxing more than it helped. The last undercard fight the guy loses by illegal rabbit punch and the ref Russell Mora already has an incredibly checkered past so not sure why they would hire a guy like that on such a big night. Then you have, what i would consider, an early stoppage in the 10th on the main card. If I didn't know anything about boxing and I watch, I'm thinking "wow, boxing is totally rigged, I'll just stick to UFC".

As far as McGregor getting tired, I'm thinking it's less to do with going those extra rounds and more to do with punching with 8 ounce gloves vs 4 ounce gloves. Because if he's used to fighting 5, 5 minute rounds, that's 25 minutes of fighting with only 4 minutes of rest. By the 10th round that is 30 minutes of fighting but 9 minutes of rest. So on a ratio basis he's getting practically twice as much rest.

Rigged? How so? Have you ever watched Mayweather fight?

He was cocky in the beginning, a little too much. He took some punches he shouldn't have but then straightened his shit up and started boxing his style. He figured out CM and started looking like a boxer. CM has a lot of quick burst energy and hes quick, although Mayweather is quicker even in his old age. I knew how the fight would go all along and I told that to everyone. Even won my bet of Mayweather and over 8 rounds (parlay, best odds for the best bet of about +250).

Everyone knew that CM would get beat, they just did not know if he would get tired enough to get KO'ed or last to a decision.

Mayweather can take a punch believe it or not and he knows how to defend. People may not like his style, but he is 50-0 so hate all you want.

50-0 but Ortiz was beating his arse so he ko'ed him with sucker punch. And Pacquiao fight mayweather didn't control middle of ring once. Guy should be 48-2
Also forgot all his friggin elbows too, he swung one plain as day at mcgreggor even.

I'm amazed that this fight had so much advertising going for it - not sure if all of the advertising was even intentional. Like watching the Little-League World Series on a totally different network than what was broadcasting the fight, the little-league announcers were talking about the damn fight all the time.

$100 was stupid expensive, something I would have never paid for. Fortunately/unfortunately everyone decided to come over to my place since we have the best multimedia and couch setup, so it came down to less than $20 per person.

Looked like an easy win for McGregor at first, until he got tired.

There was only one reason that I wanted Mayweather to win. He is American. I would have bet on him even if he was expected to lose.

giving mcgregor props for lasting until the 10th. i thought he would have shot his wad after 4.

Well, he pretty much did. He used way too much energy in the first few rounds, and that cost him big time.

50-0 but Ortiz was beating his arse so he ko'ed him with sucker punch. And Pacquiao fight mayweather didn't control middle of ring once. Guy should be 48-2
Also forgot all his friggin elbows too, he swung one plain as day at mcgreggor even.
Ortiz wasn't close to beating him. In all actuality, Mayweather had him so frustrated that Ortiz tried the desperate head-butt and then kissed him.

In regards to the Pacquiao fight, Mayweather outlanded him 148-81 (34% connect rate to 19%), landed more power shots at 81-63 (48% to 27%), and basically dictated the fight from beginning to end. He made Pacquiao look completely ordinary. Manny only landed 9% (!!!!) of his jabs.

So...we're just going to overlook McGregor's blatant hammer fists to the back of the head?

Ortiz wasn't close to beating him. In all actuality, Mayweather had him so frustrated that Ortiz tried the desperate head-butt and then kissed him.

In regards to the Pacquiao fight, Mayweather outlanded him 148-81 (34% connect rate to 19%), landed more power shots at 81-63 (48% to 27%), and basically dictated the fight from beginning to end. He made Pacquiao look completely ordinary. Manny only landed 9% (!!!!) of his jabs.

Flomo? Got IV? Got fake ass TUE? Pay 150K for personal testing? Oh yea, got clauses buried in fight contract to not have to follow WADA protocols, because oh yea you paid 150K to USADA already? That 150k must buy a lot of privileges? Hello, corrupt scoring? Blocked arm punches do not count as a scoring blow.

Flomo? Got IV? Got fake ass TUE? Pay 150K for personal testing? Oh yea, got clauses buried in fight contract to not have to follow WADA protocols, because oh yea you paid 150K to USADA already? That 150k must buy a lot of privileges? Hello, corrupt scoring? Blocked arm punches do not count as a scoring blow.
I have no idea what you are saying here.

What about all those downward backhand strikes McGreggor did?

100% not rigged. There were WAY too many eyes on this fight for it to be "rigged". They wouldn't have chanced that.

I don't think it's hate when I legitimately think his style is boring as fuck. Do I think he sucks? Of course not, he's 50-0. He's one of the p4p greatest of all time, I know that.

Do I think his fighting style is boring as fuck? Hell yes I do.

This was the most exciting we've seen him since..... I don't even remember the last time he's been in an exciting fight.

I don't think it's hate when I legitimately think his style is boring as fuck. Do I think he sucks? Of course not, he's 50-0. He's one of the p4p greatest of all time, I know that.

Do I think his fighting style is boring as fuck? Hell yes I do.

This was the most exciting we've seen him since..... I don't even remember the last time he's been in an exciting fight.
I think everyone feels this way...... He is still 50-0 so there has to be come respect.

The illegal streams were either all completely down due to bandwitdth limits by the time the main event started, or choppy and unwatchable due to lack of available bandwidth for all the queries. Out of 50 Swim viewed, the only one that was almost acceptable during the fight was a british showtime broadcast in SD (like the box television).

I don't know how it would compare with a game of thrones type broadcast since that can be downloaded at a later time and viewed, but for a single time streaming and viewing it would be up there with the super bowl for viewers.

I watched it in HD with 0 buffering on a stream posted on Reddit. There were probably hundreds of streams for this fight.

Lol people in this thread thinking McGregor even stood a chance. Kid was being toyed with the entire match
I still can't believe anyone thought there was even a remote possibility of McGregor winning when this fight was announced. The idea of an MMA fighter taking on one of the best heavyweight boxers of all time — at his own game — is laughable.

I still can't believe anyone thought there was even a remote possibility of McGregor winning when this fight was announced. The idea of an MMA fighter taking on one of the best heavyweight boxers of all time — at his own game — is laughable.
But do you know whats really laughable?

When you're trying to make fun of others by acting like you know what you're talking about; then you call Mayweather a heavyweight.

Haha! And my bookie thought I was crazy when I said "no no $500 on Mayweather taking out THE INTERNET by the third round!"

Really, I don't even follow boxing but I knew if it went more than like five rounds, McGregor's chances would plummet fast. Mayweather is trained and designed to go 15 rounds. McGregor, not so much.

Back