Maybe making the heathen change to a pre-built, again, looking for brand suggestions

Konrad

Gawd
A few years ago I got a Velocity Micro, and decided to upgrade a few specific parts in January. Well 9 months later I've got what seems to be a dead motherboard, but they can't tell me for sure. With the back and forth of problems in the past few weeks I'm considering selling off the rest of my parts sans HDD's.

Leaning towards going back to Velocity Micro, but I haven't been paying attention to the market so I'm wondering if anything else would be worth looking at.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Suggestions for hardware? Or suggestions for another computer boutique?

If hardware, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" so that we can help you better.

I just bought one from Digital Storm Online, slick builds, good customer service, active forums, can't speak for any of the others as this is the first time I haven't built myself.

Suggestions for hardware? Or suggestions for another computer boutique?

If hardware, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" so that we can help you better.

My apologies, I should have noticed that.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I will be gaming and compiling code, though the code part is rarely intensive.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'm aiming for about $1,000.
3) Where do you live?
I live on a college campus in northern Vermont.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I'm buying a pre-built PC. Case, PSU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, 1HDD (~1TB), 1 DVD-R/RW (unless blu-ray drives are suddenly $30). Don't need a monitor, UPS, keyboard, mouse, anything like that. I have an ATi 3850 which is still OK but if I can get a good deal on a new GPU I'd go for that.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will be re-using some hard drives.
6) Will you be overclocking?
no.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I have a 20" wide and a 17" 4:3
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within two weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
At least one PCI-Express x1 slot for my TV tuner and at least 1 PCI-Express x16 slot for a GPU, at least 4 USB ports. Do not need SLI or crossfire, doesn't need to have fiber optic audio out, HDMI.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have a 64-bit copy of Windows 7 Premium.

Hey, Konrad:

I apologize for not responding more quickly. If you'd like to PM me, I can make a few suggestions for you and put you in touch with someone at Velocity Micro that can answer any questions you have. I do believe that I remember you, in fact, so I'd love to at least catch up and see how you are.

H.

Back