May Xbox Update Adds 120Hz Display Support

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Xbox One owners will be able to enjoy higher refresh rates in the coming weeks, as the console is getting support for 120Hz displays. The option will be available for both 1080p and 1400p resolutions.

In May, we’re adding support for additional panel refresh rates. Gamers with gaming monitors and televisions that support a 120Hz refresh rate can now turn on 120Hz support for 1080p and 1440p output resolutions. This high refresh rate option means you can now take full advantage of displays with 120Hz capabilities.

whattttttt. So it would be able to be hooked up to my 144hz monitor?! Oh wait........ The games can barely run at 30fps most of the time... Soooo, This does what?

Wow, great news. Next Zen based consoles definitely boarding the 120hz hype train.

Theres already a few games on PS4 and Xbox One that go over 60fps with Vsync off!

Capable of hitting those frame rates or or not I think this is a step forward for all of us. Freesync in AMD powered GPUs/APUs, Intel Radeon equipped CPUs, and now consoles. Take that, G-sync!

This and the FreeSync support is a neat feature to add.

It plays into Microsoft's new strategy to bridge console and PC gamers. They can probably see these new features being attractive to PC gamers that already have the high end monitors.

Not sure what the point is of adding 120hz support when the Xbox can barely hit 30fps at 1080p.

But isn't HDMI 2.0 limited to 60Hz? Unless there's a DL port, I don't see how there's a benefit to this.

But isn't HDMI 2.0 limited to 60Hz? Unless there's a DL port, I don't see how there's a benefit to this.

2.0b can do 1080p and 1440p at 120Hz. Just not 4K, so they are just giving the option to devs to have unlocked frame rates at lower resolutions to take advantage of the console's FreeSync capabilities.

Yep. Well, the limitations of consoles are very well known. So bitching when something is added is ridiculous.

I haven't had a console since my Playstation in 1995, and don't intend on getting one any time soon.

The Console Vs PC has run its course.

Let it go.

lol 120hz support on a console that can barely run 1080p 60fps

Progress to make consoles more powerful makes me smile, even though I still love my PC more. :p

All the "console haters" realize that the OneX is doing 4k@60fps right? That would lead me to believe it could do 1080@120fps. I welcome it as I have two TV's that can do both 4k@60 and 1080@120 since both do native 120hz.

No one expects the vanilla xboxone or the S to do 120fps.

it can do 4k 60fps IN SOME games but most are using upscaling and running at 30fps or 1080p with 60fps

Full advantage? Dafuq is the point when most games can barely hit 30FPS with stable performance? Few games target 60 and fewer hit it without issues. The X probably could hit 60FPS in a ton more games but developers won't for pedantic reasons like Desinty or simply to keep pursuing the status quo of must having the most advanced shading possible while pushing barely stable framerates.

Enjoy 4 times the judder from each frame being displayed 4 times instead of 2?

All the "console haters" realize that the OneX is doing 4k@60fps right? That would lead me to believe it could do 1080@120fps. I welcome it as I have two TV's that can do both 4k@60 and 1080@120 since both do native 120hz.

No one expects the vanilla xboxone or the S to do 120fps.

No current console equipped with Jaguar CPU cores will be able to do 120 fps unless the game is built from the ground up.

Full advantage? Dafuq is the point when most games can barely hit 30FPS with stable performance? Few games target 60 and fewer hit it without issues. The X probably could hit 60FPS in a ton more games but developers won't for pedantic reasons like Desinty or simply to keep pursuing the status quo of must having the most advanced shading possible while pushing barely stable framerates.

Enjoy 4 times the judder from each frame being displayed 4 times instead of 2?

Destiny 2 cannot do 60fps due to CPU limitations.

We already have PS4 and Xbox One games that can hit over 60 fps however. Disabling Vsync in game can cause some shooters to hit nearly 100 FPS. 120hz support is a wonderful feature that will carry forward.

We already know Microsoft wants to add NATIVE mouse and keyboard support. That with 120hz means it will feel more like a PC than a Console.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS allows Graphic Amplifiers to be used in the future.

Microsoft does want to offload physics and heavy CPU calculations to servers to alleviate the crappy Jaguar CPU.

Shadowed - you contradict yourself in the second quote you respond to. You also are looking at "jaguar cores" as if they are pc equivilant. If it can do 4k@60fps it can do 1080@120fps. It's silly to argue otherwise... and yes the game would need to be optimized as you state, but that's how they have always pushed the limits of console hardware. For decades.

Shadowed - you contradict yourself in the second quote you respond to. You also are looking at "jaguar cores" as if they are pc equivilant. If it can do 4k@60fps it can do 1080@120fps. It's silly to argue otherwise... and yes the game would need to be optimized as you state, but that's how they have always pushed the limits of console hardware. For decades.

Do you think 120hz support will go away with next gen consoles?

There are very few games that support vsync off and allow over 60fps on Console. The vast majority are locked at 30 or 60

These consoles are GPU limited at 4k60, but at 1080p120 it will be entirely CPU limited.

Again, no console running Jaguar has the CPU grunt to do 120hz. The closest game I can think of is Rainbow 6 Siege, which the Xbox One X and PS4 pro run over 80 fps.

Unfortunately as soon as AI is added to Rainbow 6, the CPU cannot maintain over 60fps, where on PC 200 is easy.

The Jaguar CPU is far too slow for 120hz unless the game is made from the ground up.

Destiny 2 is a good example. It is locked at 30 because of the CPU!

Gotta believe that enabling 120Hz and HDMI VRR on the Xbox is more to pressure TV makers to support the features than to actually benefit most current games, especially heavy AAA games.

I could however see developers targeting lighter games at these features for the sake of responsiveness- they'll look like Switch games, but they could still be fun, right?

Gotta believe that enabling 120Hz and HDMI VRR on the Xbox is more to pressure TV makers to support the features than to actually benefit most current games, especially heavy AAA games.

Hadn't thought of that and I totally agree. Kind of early stage strategy to get the t.v. industry ready for their next gen in a couple of years.

it can do 4k 60fps IN SOME games but most are using upscaling and running at 30fps or 1080p with 60fps
I'll also add that most games are using dynamic resolution to hit their target framerate.

Only XB1 games I can think of that hit 60 FPS at native 4K (no dynamic scaling or checkerboarding) are Forza 7 and Killer Instinct. Cuphead probably does, too, as it's a 2D game.

Back