may have been shipped a 320mb 8800gts in disguise as a 640mb 8800gts?

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
So the box says 640mb, the hsf has part number and serial for the 640mb, but the ram underneath is only 320mb and is the hynix hy5as573225a...

The thread for this was lost in the transition but the trade continued outside of the forum, through aim and email and went well, was a solid deal for both sides, at least, for a 640mb card it was if for a 320mb card I got gipped...

Before I name the trader and such, is there anything else I can do to be sure this is the incorrect card?

I've sent a PM to the seller since making this discovery this evening as well, but haven't seen him on AIM since the day he should have received my package (and did according to UPS tracking).

well the information i have from the card itself is that the core says:
nVidia
L705C075 0721A2
S Taiwan
P25153.00
G80-100-K0-A2

VRAM says
HYNIX HY5AS573225A
FP-11 711A

back of the card reads (as it should for a 640mb version)
PNY Technologies, Inc.
VDCRD,8800,GTS 640MB PCIE
GH88GTSN1F61S-0T
and then the serial number (not going to list it here) checks out at PNY as a 640mb card, as if the sticker was traded with a 320mb part that the *real* 640mb part replaced on the sellers end.

Anything else that would be important?

I thought something was amiss when this card was running 70C idle, as if it had been reseated even though it was 'NIB', or rather, re-shrink-wrapped...

Well have you stuck it in a PC and seen what it reports as?

That's the thing, it was in my PC since it arrived on thursday (a week ago now), and I've just now noticed this, I generally trust people with 50+ heat when I have like... 6...

dxdiag and the nvidia system profiler say 320MB.

Box and serial number sticker on back of card both say 640MB

_____
This is what it seems like to me:

That the trader bought a 320mb card, wanted to upgrade and save some cash, so he got a 640mb card, then changed the warranty sticker and the heatsinks and sold it as 640mb, even went so far as to re-shrink wrap the box closed so he could sell the used 320MB card as 'new-in-box' in the 640mb box... which is what I'm now dealing with...

small update: it appears he's still active on the [H] so that's a little glimmer of hope i could get through to him, but the lack of an AIM presense really disheartens me...

i've got to go to bed though.

Here's what i would do:
Update the driver for the card.
And check the information in nvidia software like you did.
If it still shows 320MB then 95% the card is 320MB.

A quick google on the ram part number HYNIX HY5AS573225A shows its belongs to a 320MB card.

Depends on how you trust the seller, it's also possible that PNY messed up that box, but highly unlikely.

It's a sensitive matter. As of now, i trust you, but until the seller shows up and says something, your word is not credible enough.

If you choose to trust the seller, then you can claim with PNY about their mistake, but again, it's a painful process.

Here's what i would do:
Update the driver for the card.
And check the information in nvidia software like you did.
If it still shows 320MB then 95% the card is 320MB.

A quick google on the ram part number HYNIX HY5AS573225A shows its belongs to a 320MB card.

Depends on how you trust the seller, it's also possible that PNY messed up that box, but highly unlikely.

It's a sensitive matter. As of now, i trust you, but until the seller shows up and says something, your word is not credible enough.

If you choose to trust the seller, then you can claim with PNY about their mistake, but again, it's a painful process.

Yeah I see what you're going at, obviously a strange situation, but from my standpoint, that's how it looks, no AIM, no response that he even got my part, no exchange of heatware yet or even mentioning it.

Umm, I've got the card apart right now and have to go to bed, but I'll do some more testing tomorrow after work.

The hardest part is to show any PM's or Thread's that we shared because it was all set back to before this deal took place...

I have some emails though, but for now I'm just hoping PNY messed up, but 70C idle and mismatched sticker-to-pcb? iunno.

70C idle isn't necessarily a sign its a bad card. 8800's do idle at pretty high temps, and 70C idle isn't out of this world considering I idle at 63-64 with my 640 with lots of cooling but high ambient around here in Los Angeles.

By the way, do the stickers themselves look like they've been changed? Usually, if stickers are moved, they have some pretty noticeable changes and probably isn't as sticky as normal.

As far as the mix up, this has been known to occur to other companies such as EVGA, XFX, etc. even since physically, theres no way to tell the card is 320mb vs. 640mb and the sticker on the back and the box is slapped on by the reseller. If there was a mix-up, it might be an honest mistake. But if the seller has suddenly disappeared, then that is pretty shady.

By the way, do the stickers themselves look like they've been changed? Usually, if stickers are moved, they have some pretty noticeable changes and probably isn't as sticky as normal.

As far as the mix up, this has been known to occur to other companies such as EVGA, XFX, etc. even since physically, theres no way to tell the card is 320mb vs. 640mb and the sticker on the back and the box is slapped on by the reseller. If there was a mix-up, it might be an honest mistake. But if the seller has suddenly disappeared, then that is pretty shady.

Well, the deal for a 640MB new in box card, was very even, and it was wrapped up and stuff, stickers don't look moved, so if this has happened to another person before, then I'd fault PNY, whom would be easier to deal with I'm sure.

It registered to them as a 640MB card, and I know the only difference is the VRAM density.

So I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can't do anything.

Here's this now though, temps are even higher since reseating the HSF... ugh...

320mbge8.jpg

I pulled the sticker out myself before. Was very easy, just need a needle and about 3 mins.
Then i reapplied it in another location where it does not hinder the HSF screw. Looks like new, even sticks better than original.

I pulled the sticker out myself before. Was very easy, just need a needle and about 3 mins.
Then i reapplied it in another location where it does not hinder the HSF screw. Looks like new, even sticks better than original.

so the sticker should be on a spot where it keeps me from removing the HSF without ripping it? Because this one definitely was not.

Technically it should be where they can scan the barcode from the little hole outside the box. It happens that there's a tiny little screw there (very smart, NVIDIA). But no, not absolutely always like that: evga allows use to use after market cooling without voiding warranty, so it makes little sense to for the sticker cover the screw. That's my reasoning. Yet that's not the case with my evga card as mention earlier.

Technically it should be where they can scan the barcode from the little hole outside the box. It happens that there's a tiny little screw there (very smart, NVIDIA). But no, not absolutely always like that: evga allows use to use after market cooling without voiding warranty, so it makes little sense to for the sticker cover the screw. That's my reasoning. Yet that's not the case with my evga card as mention earlier.

Ah, well, this box doesn't have a spot for the barcode to show on the outside, so that could explain the placement, it seems more and more like it's PNY's fault and not the seller's fault, but still has me a little worried that I've not been contacted by him...

If you did not received the item as the seller described, return it for a refund.

If you did not received the item as the seller described, return it for a refund.

It was a trade and I'm fine with figuring this out, he is not at fault as far as I am concerned as this is an issue BFG and EVGA have even had before, so I gave PNY a call today and left a message with them.

I talked to the seller/trader in question and he's provided any info he could regarding the item including the original place of purchase, but the card is registered to me at PNY as a 640MB 8800GTS, so they think it's a 640MB card, and I've actually got a 320MB one, new from their box, so it's my part now to take this up with them.

This issue can be considered closed/resolved, thanks everyone for listening, you understand my alarm in such a strange situation, I'll report back when PNY returns my call from leaving them a message and I'll continue to try and fix this on my own, otherwise the seller/trader and I can work something out but that leaves him short on something that wasn't his fault and I don't want to do that.

I hope you have a bill of sale. PNY will not RMA any card for any reason without the original invoice from the place of purchase.

I hope you have a bill of sale. PNY will not RMA any card for any reason without the original invoice from the place of purchase.

If that is the case then the trader and I will have to work something out, pretty easy considering the price he paid for the card and the price of the hardware I traded him. He is not unreasonable, and if that's true of PNY, that's incredibly lame and this is why I did not purchase this product first hand.

If that is the case then the trader and I will have to work something out, pretty easy considering the price he paid for the card and the price of the hardware I traded him. He is not unreasonable, and if that's true of PNY, that's incredibly lame and this is why I did not purchase this product first hand.

Yep, read the warranty info in your documentation. They also consider the "lifetime warranty" to apply to the life cycle of the card (it's warrantied as long as that card is in production but ends when the availability of new cards ends) so it doesn't mean the life of the card which is what other video card MFG's mean.

Yep, read the warranty info in your documentation. They also consider the "lifetime warranty" to apply to the life cycle of the card (it's warrantied as long as that card is in production but ends when the availability of new cards ends) so it doesn't mean the life of the card which is what other video card MFG's mean.

That is pretty much the most useless warranty ever...

They have yet to give me a call back, and I've left them two messages, of course it's the weekend, but I'm never going to buy a PNY product ever again if I get shafted around like this by them.

It's like I'm a burden for owning something they sell, what's with that? They should be happy somebody ended up with something of theirs if their policies are so bad.

i'd send it back to the seller, get your items back.. and let him deal with it.

i'd send it back to the seller, get your items back.. and let him deal with it.

QFT. He bought the card after all. The seller, if he was truly being honest, should at the very least deal with the problem and get you your card with the proper 640MB as advertised. If he refuses, more than likely he's trying to scam you.

seems like he switched stickers and box. most likely he bought one of each switch stickers and sold ya his 320mb one to gain a profit on it. don't return it as he'll likely keep it. make him refund ya the difference or the whole thing before sending it back

seems like he switched stickers and box. most likely he bought one of each switch stickers and sold ya his 320mb one to gain a profit on it. don't return it as he'll likely keep it. make him refund ya the difference or the whole thing before sending it back

He's refunding the difference to me, already shipped, he's a legit nice guy here on the [H] and he's really sorry this all happened.

I actually just got done slapping on an HR-03 on the 8800GTS in question and it's just awesome :D

that's great news. lemme reword it:

don't return it as he'll likely keep it. make him refund ya the difference or the whole thing first if ya gonna be sending it back.

enjoy a pwnage card regardless of ram

Back