May have a problem.

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I have had this motherboard (Biostar TPower X58) since January, and for the most part it has given me no issues, except for when I tried to do SLI on it.

I have two XFX GTX260s and one turned out to be defective. The computer would blue screen or refuse to boot (depending on the OS), until I removed the one card from the equation.

I returned that card and got another one, and for a couple months there was no problem. Now, it seems like it is doing the same thing again. I would like to think that my video card is not the problem (again) and I actually don't think that's the case. I tried taking one card out, taking the other card out, and swapping PCI-e slots, all combinations failed the same way (blue screen in Win XP). The interesting thing is that in VGA mode the computer will not crash. However, when I removed the nVidia drivers and tried to boot like normal, it blue screens still.

Can anyone make sense of any of this?

Since I tried all the combinations possible with the two cards (including just one installed on either slot), I am not so sure if it is the video cards that are flailing. Althouh the fact that it works fine in VGA mode seems to indicate otherwise...

Oh by the way I have had issues in Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora I have tried) and Windows XP.

You should test the both cards on other computer, but I think this is mainboard problem.

Yeah I'll have to find another computer to test them on. I guess I can go get my brother's desktop and stick it in there. His old Athlon 64 3000 would be a shame for the video card but I guess it would prove it works...

I suppose I'll be going through the RMA process for Biostar. I hope it's not a huge hassle. To be honest I want to just get another one instead. i7 is pricey though lol.

Another update - it is now blue screening in VGA mode too, so I guess I probably can rule out the video card. I'm trying Ubuntu again now that I took one card out to make as few failure points as possible, and I'll see how that goes.

Well I'm not holding out much hope because earlier in Ubuntu (granted I had both cards in so maybe it'll be better) it wouldn't boot into X with the nVidia drivers installed. It always dumped me into the command line, so I tried to manually start X and it gave me the error

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jun 20 12:55:41 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I'm thinking it could be the same problem, because that just means there's nothing that could run X on my system without problems. I guess Windows doesn't really do a check like that, instead just blue screens. I could be wrong though.

Update - I got Linux working with one of the GTX260s.

Pretty poor timing for this to die, I am getting a monitor on Tuesday that is 1920x1080 and I was hoping to maybe put my SLI setup to more use.

Both video cards work. I tried them out individually. I don't know someone who has an SLI capable motherboard so I can't test out SLI on them outside of my own computer. Since it was working for so long I am assuming that the power supply is not at fault here.

Last edited:
Back