May be Time to Retire the Model M...

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So,

My big heavy microphone sits on top of my left speaker when not in use. It fell and cracked the case of my Unicomp Classic. The keyboard is still fully functional, just a bit ugly.

I have been thinking about replacing it for a while now though, as unlike my real IBM Model M's which just go on working and working and working, the Unicomps as they age seem to have problems with sticky control, Alt and shift keys. I've tried disassembling, cleaning, oiling, to no avail, so I don't think I want to go Unicomp again.

I absolutely love my buckling springs, but maybe it is time to try something more modern. I'm thinking a simple black design, with white backlighting. (I have no need or desire for RGB disco lighting, but it would be nice to be able to see the keyboard in the dark) I'm looking for a full 104 key board. None of this tenkeyless, or 60% stuff.

I like my switches heavy and clicky, so I'm thinking my best bet is Cherry MX Greens. I have a key tester, and while the green is tied for clickiest and heaviest switch, I still don't feel it is clicky or heavy enough, but I guess it's the best I'm going to get.

Some options I have been considering thus far:

Ducky One 2 Black with White Backlighting and MX Green Switches:

I recently got my Fiance a Ducky One 2 with MX Browns. I was very impressed with the build quality (not so much with the switches, but you can get them with a wide variety of switches, so that's not an issue). I looked at a black version of this keyboard, but I didn't quite like the white duo tone. I wish it were all black.

Ducky One Black with White Backlighting and MX Green Switches:

I like the looks of this keyboard better, without the racy duo tone case colors, but I don't know how the first gen One stacks up with the One 2, if I am going to be equally impressed with the build quality.

MK Night Typist

I really like the looks of this keyboard, and reviews seem to suggest it is nice to type on, but it is tough to tell without trying it yourself. Switch offerings are limited to only Blue, Brown and Silent Red though, which is a bummer. If this came with Greens or Whites I might order it.

Are there any other good ones I should be adding to my list? I'm open to any suggestions!

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Ducky or Deck, IMO. Ducky offers more style and switch choices, tho. My current KB is a Ducky One/2 tenkeyless with Silver switches and all white caps, frame and LEDs. The One/2 Midnight is really sharp, too. I'm hoping it comes in a tenkeyless Silver switch version, soon.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3484

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3731

Yeah, I got the white One Two with white LED's for my Fiance. Fantastic keyboard with surprisingly good build quality.

Back