Maxwell reviews starting to appear

Even after flashing a custom BIOS, my GTX 780 still throttles when running Furmark (and that's with the Power Target at 300% and the temps hovering at only 65c). There's simply no getting around it.

Like I said: "A more efficient card = less throttling = your overclock actually means something. You should be overjoyed at these power consumption figures if you're overclocking"

It still depends, if they only give it a tiny voltage headroom, you're still SOL.

Meh, Furmark is a terrible stress test anyway. It maxes out temps, but there's a ton of things more stressful.
Actually, Haven Valley generates hotter temps on my GTX 780 than Furmark (because Furmark causes the card to throttle back, but Valley doesn't)

It still depends, if they only give it a tiny voltage headroom, you're still SOL.
Considering the process size hasn't changed, we'll probably see somewhere around 1.21v as the maximum again, which was just fine for getting some very nice overclocks out of GK110.

After this comes through and if I was up for an upgrade, I wouldn't want to look at either 780 GTX Ti or the 290X.

Meh, Furmark is a terrible stress test anyway. It maxes out temps, but there's a ton of things more stressful.

As a Titan owner, he has a point that you can't fully use the card without throttling. The bios flash certainly solved throttling for gaming though.

Wait a minute...will two 980s run Crysis? I forgot to ask.

One gtx 780ti averages 19 fps with max AA, 2 cards average 31 fps.

One gtx 780ti averages 24fps with no AA, 2 cards average 38 fps.

Stock 980s look about 15 percent faster than 780ti in Crysis 3, so expect around 40-44 fps with no AA, if you turn down shadows and some lightning maybe even 50fps is possible with two 980s.

Late 2008 for me going to 1600p, and over 5 months ago for 4K IPS 60hz :).

The GTX 970 is extremely impressive. It's cheaper, better oc'ability, cooler by far, less heat output & power draw, and it has shadowplay, new downscaling features, + physx. Pretty much a no-brainer to go for a GTX 970 vs. a Radeon 290X right now... the performance difference at stock is negligible (2% faster) but that will widen oc-to-oc on air.

im not sure if that is a no brainer. from the few benchmarks ive seen the 970 falls off at 25x14 rez. at 4k i think you are going to need more mem band then a 970 will offer.

This memory bandwidth crap is tiring. Look at the new Tonga GPU from AMD and see how clever compression tweaks on the architecture have made less reliance on memory bandwidth. Heck it even competes with some of the 384 bit cards.

Maxwell's reliance on the memory interface is similar. Different architecture than the Tonga but similar gains. Both Tonga and Maxwell cannot be compared to Kepler and Hawaii / Tahiti.

If you are comparing, then please present some evidence instead of crap-shooting.

So why am I selling my two 780 Tis for about a $300 dollar loss in fees and shipping and buying two GTX 970s for $700?

all i hear is blah blah it uses less power so it will overclock well.
i swear some of you forgot what it was like to overclock before nvidias boost and power limits etc. you will still be limited by what nvidia wants you to have with there power limit doesn't matter how much or little power it uses. they have the card locked down.

i don't care about it using less power. i want it to be a beast out of box. this is a joke of a card.

this will be the first generation of nvidias cards i will skip. hope amd releases something to embarrass them but im not holding my breath on that one.

This memory bandwidth crap is tiring. Look at the new Tonga GPU from AMD and see how clever compression tweaks on the architecture have made less reliance on memory bandwidth. Heck it even competes with some of the 384 bit cards.

Maxwell's reliance on the memory interface is similar. Different architecture than the Tonga but similar gains. Both Tonga and Maxwell cannot be compared to Kepler and Hawaii / Tahiti.

If you are comparing, then please present some evidence instead of crap-shooting.

Look at the benchmarks on wccftech. Look at the advantage the 980 has at 19x10, then look at the advantage it has at 25x16. What do you expect will happen at 4k?

Look at the benchmarks on wccftech. Look at the advantage the 980 has at 19x10, then look at the advantage it has at 25x16. What do you expect will happen at 4k?

Again you are speculating. There are no official benchmarks yet and I would want to hold onto what [H] has to say.

How do you SLI on a mini ITX board with only one PCIe slot? I suppose some people are using SFX PSUs with uATX, but almost always those cases use full size ATX PSUs. SFX is generally used for mini-ITX, no?

Personally? Not since my GTX 295. I swore never again. Although it looks like it's gotten substantially better, the same main problems remain. Lower performance per dollar, more heat, higher power requirements, mediocre scaling in the best case and no scaling at the worst, doesn't work with miniITX, microstutter, can't use video outputs on secondary card, reduced PCIe bandwidth per card, takes up more physical PCIe slots (meaning SLI on uATX deprives you of any free slots for RAID/sound/wireless/PCIe SSD/etc cards), et al.

Don't mistake my meaning. SLI is the best (and only) solution for those that need the absolute maximum graphics performance possible. If that's you, do it. But for the vast majority of people, even on [H], it just doesn't outweigh the drawbacks in my mind. It's also disingenuous to claim multiple cheap cards being much faster than last gen's single card at a similar price as a dramatic improvement. Compare top end single card speeds/prices, that's much more fair.

I had CFX 6870's and I could see the microstutter, I now have SLI GTX760's (got one for free), and I see no microstutter at all. Even with my Qnix 27" at 96hz everything maxed out in all games at 1440p. While single card will give you the most stable results, SLI will give you the best results. The microstutter issue is basically non existant now, as far as SLI support, that will be a thing of the past completely here soon.

Hmm, if these reviews are accurate, I may be selling my 780 classified and picking up two 970s.

Anyone with a 290/780 or higher that buys these cards has more money than sense. Especially 290/290x owners. The amount of money you'd lose on selling the cards isn't worth it. If anything they should be looking at adding a second or third card from the for sale forums. I expect used 290's to fall to $200.

I know it's IGN but a review none the less.

Didn't see a street price in the article but sounds like $549 USD is correct.

I'm calling a Gold award from [H] for the 970, & at least a silver award for the 980. Price not withstanding.

Anyone with a 290/780 or higher that buys these cards has more money than sense. Especially 290/290x owners.

I really agree with that but hey, sometimes it's nice to [H]ave too much $. I'm hoping I'll see enough of a jump from SLi'd 660s to a 970, as imo 980 @ 549 is just too much. Hell I see Nvidia upping the $329 MSRP on 970 to make room for a 960 Ti...

I expect used 290's to fall to $200.

My gf's rig could use an upgrade...One can only hope they go that low. I'll hold you to that :D

Last edited:
Anyone with a 290/780 or higher that buys these cards has more money than sense. Especially 290/290x owners. The amount of money you'd lose on selling the cards isn't worth it. If anything they should be looking at adding a second or third card from the for sale forums. I expect used 290's to fall to $200.

Depends. Since the 780 and 970 are pretty close performance wise, people will still be able to unload their used 780s and probably offset the vast majority of the cost of a 970. If they want to do SLI, I'd bet they could probably do 2 970s for $400 factoring in selling the old card. Sure, it's probably about the same price to just get a used 780 off FS/FT, but you're also losing out on the extra GB of VRAM as well as the power efficiency.

I'll wait two months after it releases for a GTX980Ti or the GTX TITAN even Blacker edition

Any one who wants a less hotter room in this extreme summer should opt for the Maxwell.. I am surely selling my 290Xs crossfire for two 980 GTXs. My current rig consumes 850W and produces some serious heat and I absolutely hate that.

Any one who wants a less hotter room in this extreme summer should opt for the Maxwell.. I am surely selling my 290Xs crossfire for two 980 GTXs. My current rig consumes 850W and produces some serious heat and I absolutely hate that.

I thought the [H]ard thing to do is to just not worry about power consumption/heat output at all and sit on a bag of ice during the summer. Or add another block to one's cooling loop and sit on that. With the A/C at full blast.

So why am I selling my two 780 Tis for about a $300 dollar loss in fees and shipping and buying two GTX 970s for $700?

If you are, then you must play 24 hours a day, and in hell. Do you have a game that needs 3.5 gb or something? That or you're getting about $250 out of the semi-side-grade.

I thought the [H]ard thing to do is to just not worry about power consumption/heat output at all and sit on a bag of ice during the summer. Or add another block to one's cooling loop and sit on that. With the A/C at full blast.

People are crazy when they say they are not bothered by the heat 290X crossfires produce. Either they live in Alaska or they have some serious water cooling.

I on the other hand have ASUS 290X Direct CU IIs (default voltage) and 20 min into the game I get gushes of hot air in my face coming from the rig under my table. 780 GTX Ti's arent that bad but still produce a lot of heat once overclocked @ 1.2V and I have already tried them too.

I'm unconvinced that two 970s will be slower than one 980... so I bought two 970s from Amazon. Hopefully that was the correct move. :)

Whether the card is water cooled or not it still produces the same amount of heat. The card cooling may lower the temperature of the card but it does not reduce the amount of heat it gives off. The room the computer is in will heat up the same if the card is air or water cooled.

Point noted!

The 970GTX looks interesting to me and I will think about as I don't care for Nvidia anymore but the product looks good if the price is $329.. I have owned the 290 before and it seems to be a good replacement.

I'm unconvinced that two 970s will be slower than one 980... so I bought two 970s from Amazon. Hopefully that was the correct move. :)

Two 970's will crush a 980. If I had an SLI-capable system that'd be a no-brainer for me.

Back