Maxtor 300GB SATAII 16MB $59 Shipped

Got mine yesterday morning! It irks me however, the way they packed it allowed too much freedom of movement. The HD box was able to shift around 2 inches or so in the box. The space could have easily be filled with a few peanuts. I've yet to install it, and I'm pretty sure it'll work, it just leaves a bad taste

Umm interesting observation, i bought 2 of them and they were packed in the big box with air plastic bags, no peanuts at all. It would have been nice to fill up the box with peanuts, instead of air bags.

But they are running fine, upto now.

mine came in a box just a tad larger then the accual box. Seemed fine and the drive is well packed inside it's own box too.

Well i have 2 of them in RAID 0, in the BIOS it says 640GB in RAID 0, and in Windows VISTA it is coming up as a 596GB where is my 44GB :confused: and did is even before installing windows.

Damn.

Well i have 2 of them in RAID 0, in the BIOS it says 640GB in RAID 0, and in Windows VISTA it is coming up as a 596GB where is my 44GB :confused: and did is even before installing windows.

Damn.

What.........................:rolleyes: you should know why this happens..

I know why, but man 44GB for that purpose. I think it is too much for that purpose. :confused:

640gb in hard drive manufacturer's terms... which is same as 640,000 mb, 640,000,000kb, 640,000,000,000 bytes.

So... binary... 2^10 = 1024

so.... (640,000,000,000 bytes) x (1 kb / 1024 bytes) x (1mb / 1024 kb) x (1gb / 1024mb) = 596.046 gb

There you go... you didn't lose anything. :) Just basic math.

Ordered drive on Sunday, arrived today (Tues)

It is in fact a 7200.10 ........

6hcjc0m.jpg

my box also said "new 3 year warranty!!" so no need to worry about the 1-year only maxtor warranty

Umm interesting observation, i bought 2 of them and they were packed in the big box with air plastic bags, no peanuts at all. It would have been nice to fill up the box with peanuts, instead of air bags.

But they are running fine, upto now.

Mine was in a box about 6 inches to big with 1 air bag on top...

I got my two today even though it said it should be here by friday... I am thinking of running raid-0 too and using my 250 as a storage drive... LoL. What should I do with my 74gb raptor? Sell it? Hmm... It's the old 8mb version and it's a rma replacement which means it's refurbished... Doubt I would get much for it anyways... maybe i'll just keep it as my primary and then just add these to drives as more for media junk.

Things that make you go hmm....

On Sunday I placed my order for two hard drives and this morning I get an email saying. . .

Please note that the item(s) listed below have been removed from
your order per your request to Customer Service, or because the
item is no longer available.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION QTY
PRICE REASON
____________________ ______________________________ ___
___________ ____________________
4987891 MXT L01F300 300GB SATA SATA 2

Please note, some online sales are subject to prior sale and may
not be available. Merchandise offered on our email advertisement
is good "while supplies last".

Order request confirmations received from our web site do
not guarantee delivery of the items ordered.

Frys.com apologizes for any inconvenience this may
have caused you. For further assistance, please call
1-(877)688-7678.

On Sunday I placed my order for two hard drives and this morning I get an email saying. . .

Please note that the item(s) listed below have been removed from
your order per your request to Customer Service, or because the
item is no longer available.

ITEM # DESCRIPTION QTY
PRICE REASON
____________________ ______________________________ ___
___________ ____________________
4987891 MXT L01F300 300GB SATA SATA 2

Please note, some online sales are subject to prior sale and may
not be available. Merchandise offered on our email advertisement
is good "while supplies last".

Order request confirmations received from our web site do
not guarantee delivery of the items ordered.

Frys.com apologizes for any inconvenience this may
have caused you. For further assistance, please call
1-(877)688-7678.

me too, dude... except i had an order of 2 sunday night, and an order of one early yesterday morning b/c i wanted to matrix raid0 and raid5. :(

I got my two today even though it said it should be here by friday... I am thinking of running raid-0 too and using my 250 as a storage drive... LoL. What should I do with my 74gb raptor? Sell it? Hmm... It's the old 8mb version and it's a rma replacement which means it's refurbished... Doubt I would get much for it anyways... maybe i'll just keep it as my primary and then just add these to drives as more for media junk.

Things that make you go hmm....

Funny you should mention that. I too have an original Raptor and I am using it as the main drive in my Vista system. I also have a 500gb WD and a 500gb Seagate.

According to Vista’s performance program the Raptor is the slowest thing in my entire system. 5.9 for everything else 5.6 for the raptor.

I really hate to invest in another Raptor at the moment because even the new one is fast becoming out dated. Not to mention I really hate my OS on a really huge drive.

The drive I have my eye on at the moment is a WD unit:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101208-13

Faster then a speeding Raptor, industrial strength and half the price. If you want to raid these they were designed from the ground up for just that purpose although they will run singly.

As a rule I support NewEgg all the way, however when it comes to shipping OEM drives ZZF uses boxes designed for the purpose. $63.00 shipped isn’t half bad for a drive built like this, at least not to me.;)

Funny you should mention that. I too have an original Raptor and I am using it as the main drive in my Vista system. I also have a 500gb WD and a 500gb Seagate.

According to Vista’s performance program the Raptor is the slowest thing in my entire system. 5.9 for everything else 5.6 for the raptor.

I really hate to invest in another Raptor at the moment because even the new one is fast becoming out dated. Not to mention I really hate my OS on a really huge drive.

The drive I have my eye on at the moment is a WD unit:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101208-13

Faster then a speeding Raptor, industrial strength and half the price. If you want to raid these they were designed from the ground up for just that purpose although they will run singly.

As a rule I support NewEgg all the way, however when it comes to shipping OEM drives ZZF uses boxes designed for the purpose. $63.00 shipped isn’t half bad for a drive built like this, at least not to me.;)

WOW!! Thank you so much Bill. That is a steal of a deal for a new OS drive.

These Drives are Supper Fast, i had 160GB SATAII 8mb seagate before in Raid 0. I see big difference in performace. Windows installed in 15 minutes.

Now i have 640GB RAID 0
Plus 160GB SATAII as a backup.

Got my two drives in the other day, they're both Seagate 7200.10's according to the label :). THANKS OP!

Damn it. I would have bought these if I had known they were seagates. Now deal is dead.

7200.10s here to also got mine in 2 days. I didn't think I would see a speed difference but man was I wrong. These puppies are fast.

Ive been using a couple of these Maxtors (rebaged Seagates .10) for a couple of months now and love the performance. I got in on a $69 deal through Frys and thought that was a great price. $59 is smokin!

Enjoy ! :cool:

I hope mine are 7200.10.
I have 4 more coming.
They will serve nicely on my 2ndary system. :D

maxtorrb3.jpg

I got the IDE version of the 7200.10 on accidentally. I wonder how much difference it will make.

Back