Maxtor 300GB/16MB - $149

I don't buy MAXTOR anymore, 1 year warranty .. screw that. Yeah .. only $150, but in 1 year 1 month, that drive is going to be trash.

That is the most ignorant thing ever. I have 4 250 SATA Maxtors in my rig and they are quiet, fast, and cheap. Havent had a single maxtor break yet.

And who would you buy? IBM? I definitely trust Maxtor more. WD? I trust them just as much as Maxtor.

killernoodle said:
That is the most ignorant thing ever. I have 4 250 SATA Maxtors in my rig and they are quiet, fast, and cheap. Havent had a single maxtor break yet.

And who would you buy? IBM? I definitely trust Maxtor more. WD? I trust them just as much as Maxtor.
Pretty sure he's comparing it to the Seagate 5 year warranty.

Northerner said:
how do you know its a maxtor drive?
the add doesnt show a maxtor box and it doesnt state the manufacturer??

Just run the items partnumber in google

It's a Maxtor Drive. That's all Office Depot carries in their stores.

Either way, it's a good deal for the size. But I'm not a fan of Maxtor and their quality. I like Seagate the most, then Western Digital, then Fujitsu/IBM, THEN Maxtor. Heck I like Quantum more then Maxtor, even though Quantum is Maxtor before they became Maxtorized.

killernoodle said:

SEAGATE.

I'm with the above, i dont like maxtor's either. I stick with WD or seagates. But that's my personal preferance.

I have had nothing but Maxtor's in my too numerous to count personally built PC's over the years. 1st and only drive failure I have had was in a Seagate Barracuda that came in my old Alienware, that just happened last month and drive was only 2 years old. I got Maxtor's running years longer than that.

WD and Maxtor are interchangeable for me, no IBM's, and Seagate I lost all confidence in years ago, and never looked back, and see no reason to try them again. They used to be the only show in town but those days are gone.

I've been buying drives for a looong time, shoot I remember when Seagate was ripping folks off on thier 30meg drives with RLL controller that they charged an arm and a leg for above the cost of the 20meg MFM drive. I found out after comparing the two that the drive and controller were identical, change one jumper setting and BAM! you got yourself a 30meg drive, only labelling and manual were different.

Yeah, but every company has had or is having their share of problems. Maxtors had the problem of not being able to handle NTFS formatting about 5 years ago. Whereas everyone elses drives were fine with them. But that's besides the point.

I've had a Quantum Bigfoot drive for 7 years now, it still runs like a champ. But I also have a Fujitsu HD for just as long that runs much faster and smoother as well as quieter then that Quantum. It's all about how you use it, and if it was borked from the start.

i have had 0 problems with maybe 10-12 maxtor drives over the years.

hell i have an 8gb maxtor drive in a p2 computer that hasn't had a single problem since it was brand new and state-of-the-art lol

i don't get why people bash maxtor, honestly i've had a ton of different drives with the score something like:

seagate: around 7 or 8, love them as they're quiet. (1 had problems with losing data)
maxtor: around 10 or 12, almost as quiet as seagate, at least the newer drives. 0 problems
ibm: had 2 drives, 0 problems but were very loud. dumped them after about 1 yr for noise
wd: around 4, 2 of which were raptors (1x36, 1x74). 1 non-raptor had to be rma'd, the rest have been great. the 74g raptor is damn quiet, on-par with maxtors

i used to upgrade a lot so i've had a ton of different drives. now though i stick with a raptor for boot/OS drive and maxtor for storage.

office depot will extend thye warranty for 1 year for $50.

i didnt buy one then :(

yep your right, looks like a maxtor.
im building a new rig just for gaming and i was going to only get about a 120 gb drive, but
for this price i might have to give it a try?

300gb spec sheet

Everyone has good and bad luck. I bought 3 Maxtor slimline drives about a week apart.. had I noticed they were 1 year warranty, I probably wouldn't have, but I was building computers for people. Almost 1 year and 2 months go by, and they all shit out within a week of each other. I read on a ton of forums that the firmware in those slimline drives has a huge problem and ultimately kills the controller, so your BIOS won't detect it. I called them and was basically told "Oh well, fuck off".. even spoke to a manager, and he wouldn't do shit because the drive was 1 or 2 months out of warranty.. Sorry, Maxtor drives might be cheaper and better now, but since that shit, they can fuck off and i'll never do business with them again.

I have had drives from ever manufacturer go bad... but just for reference, I still have a Seagate 110MB hard drive from 12 years ago running strong in my 486 (used for telnet terminal)

kleptophobiac said:
I have had drives from ever manufacturer go bad... but just for reference, I still have a Seagate 110MB hard drive from 12 years ago running strong in my 486 (used for telnet terminal)
Same with me. My most recent drive failure was my girlfriend's parents computer, which was a dell. It died 3 days ago. I check the waranty and it was 2 months expired. Figures.

I have a 13GB Seagate drive, a 20 GB Western Digital drive, and a 40GB Maxtor drive that are all past their waranty's though. On the other hand, I've had 2 seagate drives, 3 Maxtor (1 Quantum), and 1 Western Digital die on me in the past few years. I was able to get 1 seagate drive back on waranty though.

I picked up this 300GB Maxtor drive and have no complaints. Just adding to my Dell File Server.

i've had several maxtors die on me but not a single wd or seagate.. i still got sum 1gb wd drives that work flawlessly

no maxtors died on me yet. i got a 20gb and a 30gb from way back when which i still use. ive had a WD die though and one of my friend's segate died recently.

all hard drives die. my complaint about maxtors is that they are usually loud. other than that, they are good.

See...
One: I NEED silent drives, for my need
Two: I don't care about what anybody says, I had a string of bad luck with 3 maxtor drives in a row...

First impressions kill ya...I won't be buying maxtor drives.

Woot! Got my two in the mail today. I figured it would be safer than checking every day at the local OD's.

Just shy of 2 1/2 TB now...

2-half-tb.png

Went into a local OD today and picked up 2 of them. I've never been a fan of Maxtor, but I decided to take a chance with these. Hopefully I won't regret it.

got mine too, 1.5 business days lol

should be a good replacement for the dual 250gb drives that i had before the post office got ahold of my shuttle.

killernoodle said:

Um .. every fricking MAXTOR drive I have ever used died within 1 year, so piss off.

gamer1drew said:
Hey, heres the same drive at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-154&depa=0
Its higher but they claim 3 year warranty. Anyone know why? Or are these slighlty different drives as the seek time is also different?
OEM drives get 3 year warranties. Retail drives get 1 year. This is a new thing with just about everybody now -- it used to be the reverse (OEM got 1 yr and Retail 3 yr). The drives are identical. OEM's are cheaper and come with better warranty now, so unless you find a good B&M deal like this one and don't mind the reduced warranty, there's not much sense in buying retail boxed drives.

Ocean said:
office depot will extend thye warranty for 1 year for $50.

i didnt buy one then :(

well if you were to buy the drive from newegg and the warrant information is correct, its only $44 more but extends the warranty 2 years more than the standard one year. Whats the deal with this anyways? the warranty on an OEM drive is really more than a retail one?

anyone know what the executive suitcase and executive tote are like

I've used dozens of Maxtor drives over the past few years, and although I would hardly call them all garbage, they do have a higher rate of failure out-of-box and within the first year than other companies. But to their credit, they have excellent customer service, and will take care of whatever problem you have as long as it's within the warranty period.

Lately I've been using Samsung drives, and I have to say I'm really impressed with the 120GB SATA ones.

Samsung is about the only brand I haven't tried. I do hear good things about them, they just aren't very pervasive and don't offer a wide selection of drives to choose from. I didn't even know they had SATA drives out yet.

killernoodle said:

No, it's not ignorant trash. He's 100% Correct

I bought 5 maxtor 160 p-ata drives for my PERSONAL computer.

4 of them have been replaced already.

And as someone who has purchased, in the past year, about 1,000 hard drives, I can tell you that maxtor has the highest rate of return (that's failures)

I am looking towards seagate (and samsung for economy systems) as 5 year and 3 year warranties are nothing to sneeze at.

Other than IBM's GXP's that failed, all manufacturers have their good and bad drives - the majority lasting plenty of time. I've had a Maxtor die after a year, a WD die after 2 months, and a Seagate catch on fire. I trust them all equal as should everyone else. Typically, if a drive doesn't die soon after put to use, it will last for many years. Currently have 2 WD's and 2 Maxtors running in this house and they've all been solid (well after one of each were rma'd) - 160GB, 45GB, 40GB, 10GB.

there's always exceptions

Great price on the drive - no rebates

Back