Maxtor 300GB/16MB - $149

yeah, i don tlike maxtors, high fail rate.

i bought this maxtor , then i went to frys becuase i was bored, and to my surprised, they had their 300gb models on sale.

id definatly wait for a 40 dllar rebate and get a 5 year warrenty to risk with a maxtor with only 1 year.

but.. i already opened it and installed the maxtor, stpuid me.

o well

go for the seagate guys! lower seektime!

i have had 2 maxtors die in the last few months, and guess what, one died less than 1 month after warranty expired, and the other 3 months, i bought them almost exclusively before ,about 20 in total and about 6 died, but just the 2 were out of warranty, i will never buy another one

I've had both of my 40gb Maxtor's die after about a year's usage in a RAID 0 array. I've had all of my Seagates die on more then 1 occasion*. So far out of my 3 WD drives (1 of which is nearly 3 years old) none have died. My 2 year old IBM 15k rpm Deskstar is still running as well.

*Note: This was based on their Barracuda I/II and III line of ATA 33/66 drives, their quality might have gone up since then. I have not bought a Seagate drive since 2000.

vbrtrmn said:
Um .. every fricking MAXTOR drive I have ever used died within 1 year, so piss off.

So? People have had problems with EVERY maker of HD's. Just because you have had problems, doesnt mean the next guy has. The same goes with IBM, Segate, etc.

Way to act mature though. :(

I had a seagate once... not for very long.................

I dont care if it's a 10 year warranty it's not worth the loss of data :eek:

[/annoyed side]

yea well I'd buy one but I would be cautious at least.

Everyone's worried about reliability...why not go for the higher end of scsi lines then? In my experience the failure rate is a bit lower and there's less cpu overhead. You gotta make a choice - price or performance/reliability. Can't have both (although you can luck out with reliability).

Its pointless to debate in this thread. Everyone has had failed devices from manufacturers, it doesn't mean one's necessarily better than another. $0.50/GB WITHOUT a rebate is good in my book. Hot deal - simple as that :D

It's only a hot deal if you can get it. OD is notorious for their bait and switch tactics. I can't get one.

Back