Maximus XII Formula M.2 bandwidth help... PIC inside

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm getting ready to assemble this 10900K / Asus Maximus Formula combo and am having a question on which m.2 slot to use for my nvme drive, and which slot to use for my m.2 sata based drive. For the nvme m.2 obviously I do not want to take any bandwidth away from the pcie 16 slot for my gpu, so im confused as to which slot to use according to the manual. The diagram is hard for me to understand. Can someone please take a sec and see if they understand which m.2 slot to use for the nvme drive so it wont take lanes away from my gpu, and which slot to use for my sata based m.2 where it wont effect my gpu either??!! I dont care at all about the onboard sata ports...... Really appreciate someones time on this matter!

m.2 config.jpg
m.2 config2.png

Attachments

• m.2 config3.png
    m.2 config3.png
    318.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The only thing that takes lanes away from your GPU would be a 2nd GPU. The M.2 slot's only affect the smaller PCIe connectors and the 3rd PCIe x16 slot which is less then ideal for a GPU as it only runs at x4 anyways.and/or the amount of usable sata ports.

You'll use the 2 on the front, M2_1 supports SATA so that's the one you'd put your SATA one in, the other 2 only support NVMe.

In this configuration SATA6G_2 and SATA6G_5/6 will be disabled.

Edit: NVM...I'm not sure what I'd use. It looks like the SATA M.2 would have to go in a lower slot though.

Back