Maximus VI Hero won't start after power loss

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
Lately I've been having this issue where, after there is a power loss, the MB refuses to start even if the power and reset buttons are lit up. I push the power-on button on the case or the one on the MB, and nothing. After I shut down the PSU itself from its own switch (Seasonic X1050), then start it again and push the power on button on the case, there are times when the fans start up, the MB does some checks up to code 00, then shuts down again and doesn't do anything. The problem is, at this point (after a power loss) it used to draw power once more and POST, which it doesn't do anymore. After fiddling with the PSU on-off switch for some 5 minutes, I can eventually get it to start up again for the time being.

The problem doesn't manifest itself when there is no loss of power to the board. I can shut down and start up normally as long as I don't flip the switch of the power supply. Could the board itself be the issue, or is it the PSU?

What happens if you reset CMOS and run at defaults? Would do that and report back.

It could be switch-bounce from the PSU (I have had this issue before as well, and the best solution is a new PSU). In my case it involved turning the PSU on and off and sometimes holding the reset or power button for the motherboard while doing so helped. Does sound like PSU issue to me but very hard to say. When I had the problem Enermax blamed the MB, and the MB manufacturer blamed the PSU. Once the computer was running it was fine though.

What happens if you reset CMOS and run at defaults? Would do that and report back.

One of the first things I did was to reset to optimized defaults (to exclude any kind of weird overclocking issue), but the problem persisted for the time being.

However, I just did another shut down using the PSU switch, and the MB started normally this time. I hope it stays that way.

I also strongly suspect that there were some power surges in my local electric grid earlier in the day, although I didn't get any power surge warning from the MB.

If you can get hold of a "good" spare PSU, I would see if that changes anything.

I have the same issue with an ASRock Z97 Extreme4. After shutting off the PSU/unplugging it, it does not power back on for awhile. Have to wait like a couple hours or something for some reason. After the first power up, it has no issues turning back on until you disconnect the power. My PSU is 750W Corsair, about 4 yrs old.

Back