Maximus VI Formula & Astro A40/Wireless MixAmp (5.8?)...enough?

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi Guys,

I've got a Maximus VI Formula which I believe uses the RealTek ALC1150. I also have an Astro A40 headset with the wireless MixAmp (the MixAmp 5.8 I believe).

Now, my understanding is that the wireless MixAmp only supports Dolby Digital for surround sound. After doing some reading it seems that the onboard mobo sound does NOT output Dolby Digital, favouring DTS Connect instead for 5.1 audio.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case? By using my Astro setup via optical am I only getting 2-channel audio which the MixAmp is then up-mixing?

If that is not the case then could someone enlighten me as to how I should configure my system to get the best out of the onboard audio and the Astro A40s (with or without using the MixAmp)?

If that IS the case then I guess I need to get a discrete sound-card?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mixamp is basically pointless on a computer. You wont be able to get the mixamp to work without getting a soundcard with dolby digital live, and if you did get a soundcard with DDL, the mixamp would be basically useless because the soundcard you bought would probably have dolby headphone.

Cheapest option for you would be to plug the A40's into the soundcard directly , and not use the mixamp at all.

I figured that may be the case!

So am I better off just sticking with the on-board audio (RealTek ALC1150 I believe) in that case?

Any ideas on any configuration options I should check/uncheck?

TIA

sf.

Sorry to bump this but does anyone else have any further opinions?

Should I just plug my A40s plugged straight into my on-board audio (Asus SupremeFX == RealTek ALC1150) or would I be better off grabbing a sound-card for a better experience?

Back