Maximus V Formula...tri-sli plus soundcard in slot 1 possible?

Tol

Limp Gawd
Can anyone with more knowledge on how the slot sharing works verify that a new formula board should work fine with a tri-sli setup and my soundcard?

The manual on the asus webpage shows a shared IRQ between slots 1 & 2 but I don't think that should matter?

I got burned by the maximus iv when it disabled the port i wanted to use for my soundcard. I don't want that to happen again...

Thanks.

I just bought one so I guess I'll find out in a day or two...

Same here. I'm going to be installing 2 gtx680s and an X-Fi (in slot 1), so I'll find out shortly also. Mine arrives today and I'll be installing tonight. It's not Tri-SLI, but I don't even know if this board supports that...

I thought the Formula only supports 2 card SLI and Tri-Fire via a dual GPU card + single GPU card (e.g. 6990 + 6970).

I thought the Formula only supports 2 card SLI and Tri-Fire via a dual GPU card + single GPU card (e.g. 6990 + 6970).

Sadly, now that I have the board and have re-read the manual. It's 3-way CFX and 2-way SLI. I guess newegg will be getting this particular board back in stock and I'll either wait for the Extreme or more likely grab the Gigabyte Sniper board.

By the way, got the board and SLI + sound card in 4x PCIe top slot works great. I literally have no complaints about this board. It has everything I need for gaming and overclocking without a bunch of useless parts. BIOS is similar to the P8Z77-V boards with tons more voltage options.

The heatsinks on this thing weigh a ton, which is a good thing in my book.

I've run into heat issues with my Galaxy brand 680s and for now am running only 2 cards on the Gigabyte board. The game I'm playing the most right now is Rift and I'm able to turn everything up and still get a pretty solid framerate...if newegg hadn't offered to give me $25 off the restocking fee I might just stick with the Formula and 2 cards.

I feel I'm in too deep right now, though. I'm gonna trade my Galaxy cards for 3 Zotac cards and get some waterblocks. I think I'll also trade the Gigabyte board for the Maximus V Extreme since it came in stock about 2 hours after I ordered the Gigabyte board.

By the way, got the board and SLI + sound card in 4x PCIe top slot works great. I literally have no complaints about this board. It has everything I need for gaming and overclocking without a bunch of useless parts. BIOS is similar to the P8Z77-V boards with tons more voltage options.

The heatsinks on this thing weigh a ton, which is a good thing in my book.

Hey mate I just had a query on your setup. I see that u are using a MVF mobo & still use a X-Fi Titanium Pro. Is it way better than onboard socalled supremefx

The reason why i ask is because I just setup my PC based on the board and all I get is lame sound compared to my previous X-Fi Titanium PCIe card. The main reason I got this board was due to onboard audio solution!!!

I only used the Formula for a couple days but my biggest problem with it was the lack of the 3d headphone technology(whatever Creative calls theirs). I didn't use it long enough and I had other, bigger issues with my setup at the time to make a good judgement on just sound quality.

I ended up switching to a MVExtreme so that I could use the 3 videocards and the soundcard at the same time.

I only used the Formula for a couple days but my biggest problem with it was the lack of the 3d headphone technology(whatever Creative calls theirs). I didn't use it long enough and I had other, bigger issues with my setup at the time to make a good judgement on just sound quality.

I ended up switching to a MVExtreme so that I could use the 3 videocards and the soundcard at the same time.

hey mate can u tell me exactly in what slots on the xtreme ? i have 2 gtx680 and cant make sound card work as it disables me 1 VGA

but i have another gtx680 comming so i will be doing tri way sli + 1 sound card its possible ???

Thanks in advance
Sergio

The Extreme shouldn't be a problem. It supports 4-way SLI so you've got options. Here are a couple shots of my current setup with the 3 680s in slots 1,2,4 and the soundcard in 6. Photos (the numbering is from the manual but it's basically the only way you'd seat all the cards unless you put the soundcard nearest the cpu) EDIT: The soundcard is right below the third videocard in the photos...it's a little dark but the cards are almost touching.

From that I get x16 on the first card and x8 on the second and third. There were absolutely no issues with the soundcard.

My original post here was about the Maximus V Formula that I bought first. On that board, it wasn't possible to use the soundcard with 3 videocards even though there are enough slots to physically plug everything in. At the time, the Extreme wasn't out yet and I was just overzealous and didn't read the Formula's manual before purchasing. I think for NVidia cards, only 2-way SLI is officially support on the Formula...in that case, I would think that the soundcard would be ok.

Back