Maximum DP 1.2 cable length for use with a G-sync monitor.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
So I bought a 35 foot DP 1.2 cable and it "claims" it supports 1080p 120hz but my ASUS G-Sync upgraded monitor only allows a maximum of 85hz when connected via this method (G-sync works fine at 85hz as well by the way). If I go back to a shorter cable (3 meters) it works just fine at 120hz..

Are there any repeaters that could support the bandwidth of a G-sync monitor like that? Or am I doomed by length?

DP 1.2 cable technically are suppose to be 6 ft or less to be withen VESA standard. The longer the length you need lower AWG (more copper)... what is the AWG on the 35 foot DP cable? Maybe get one that is 2 or 4 numbers lower may help.

26 gauge cables , they are thicker than I've seen other DP cables so I don't think that's the issue. I think its just that at 35 feet its too long to deal with the signal. It needs to be repeated or it just can't be resolved at the moment at that length.

I know the new ASUS 1440p 144hz monitor has a VERY short DP cable and people have tried others without success so its entirely possible that until we get DP 1.3 there just isn't enough available bandwidth for that kind of run.

I've looked into repeaters and basically they are all very low bandwidth. So that rules out repeaters. Wish this monitor supported HDMI 2.0 and my GPU for that matter. It sucks that DP tech is the only kind that can do G-sync at the moment.

Back