Maxed CPU usage after upgrading to Samsung SSD

VTX1800N1

n00b
Dell XPS laptop.

After upgrading to a Samsung SSD as my primary drive, my CPU usage maxes out for an hour or better every single time I boot my computer, completely negating any power savings I would otherwise see from moving from my old HDD as a primary drive. The cooling fan is constantly running on high now (never did before) and the Intel CPU monitor shows that it is pegged out at 3.0 GHz.

This started exactly when I made the upgrade and no other changes were made. I cannot find anything in Task Manager or Resource Monitor that would explain this. How can I figure out what is causing my CPU to max out? Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Did you perform a fresh install or recovery from Factory DVD's? Or did you just clone the old HDD?

I used Samsung software to make an exact duplicate of my old HDD. Even my internet passwords were saved.

After about an hour, it goes back to normal and the CPU drops back well below 2Ghz again when idle.

Have you checked task manager to identify the process that is using the CPU? Make sure to select "show processes from all users" in task manager.

Load up Process Explorer and take a look at DPC or Interrupts usage. It may indicate a hardware or driver issue. Look into firmware updates for both your ssd and motherboard. Can also solve random issues like this sometimes.

Process by CPU:

systemprocessbycpu.jpg

Looks like your Norton antivirus is causing your CPU spikes. Are you using the latest version (2013)? If so, try changing your scan schedule.

It's getting worse. Whatever it is is using tons of CPU power. It runs for hours now and sometimes slows the system down. It's not a virus, it's somehow connected to the new drive being installed.

What I don't get is that the overall CPU usage isn't that high, just the frequency. It's generating a lot of heat and chewing up the battery.

cpuusageu.jpg

Add a column in the manager to see "CPU Time" and not instantaneous CPU usage.

Look at your power scheme, too.

Either it's malfunctioning or it's a live backup that is of no use if you don't have another drive in the computer.

What model of Samsung SSD do you have? What date was it manufactured? Was this issue resolved already?

Aethsma is correct. Try installing ubuntu to the SSD drive and see if it works properly. That is the best way to start determining if you are having a hardware malfunction or a software issue.

Back