Max Payne 3 -- When Rockstar 'pushes the envelope'

Guys, which AA settings are you using for MP3? I have AA maxed out ingame and also FXAA set to Very High, yet I am still seeing jaggies? Wtf?

I am at a loss of how to increase AA so that everything is smooth. I am running Cat 12.2 drivers and also do not have AA set in CP.

Guys, which AA settings are you using for MP3? I have AA maxed out ingame and also FXAA set to Very High, yet I am still seeing jaggies? Wtf?

I am at a loss of how to increase AA so that everything is smooth. I am running Cat 12.2 drivers and also do not have AA set in CP.

Higher ppi monitor.

I just used FXAA and have a hard time even finding any major source of jaggies in the pictures I took, let alone with 4x MSAA on top. :confused:

"it's fear that give men wings"... seriously this fucking achievement SUCKS on the PC. Consoles have it easy because YOU CAN LOCK ON, so it's really, really easy.

I really really really want to like this game but as soon as I installed it I can't join any games with my friends in a party, let alone half the time the invites sent through social or in game do not work.

So i said fuck it, i'll play single player...Well, the first hour was GREAT, and now my game crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME at the same exact moment in cinematic and I cannot progress, and this multiplayer thing still does not work for me. Joining by myself is fine, but making a party with a friend and trying to join a game together never fucking works.

:((

hope it gets better

Well, the first hour was GREAT, and now my game crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME at the same exact moment in cinematic and I cannot progress,

I'd be interested to know if you're using SLI or Crossfire setup. For some reason these, and especially Crossfire setups...it's practically a rite of passage when a new game comes out they're going to have problems in the early going.

I'm sure you've done all the usual: Verify file integrity, latest drivers, etc. etc.

The MP: Give it some time. I expect that community to grow.

Part of the problem is people like me: I suck. So I'll come in and play and quit after five minutes after some junkies kill me for the tenth time and I'm lucky if I've gotten two kills.

random question - but are there any physical copies that I can install and activate thru steam?

What I want is to install via disc, but have the game linked to my steam account so if I ever want to do the digital download route i'll be covered.

random question - but are there any physical copies that I can install and activate thru steam?

What I want is to install via disc, but have the game linked to my steam account so if I ever want to do the digital download route i'll be covered.

Nope.

well poo -- guess I'll go for the Steam version then. As I haven't bought a physical disc in ages and want to continue the streak.

Besides -- it's so much fun knowing I have all my games under one roof. Well there is that one exception, I'm looking at you Battlefield 3.

Just finished it.

One of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while. Its very focused, but its like playing "Die Hard". Amazing action game.

I wish I had taken advantage of the Steam pre-order where both previous games were bundled for free...does Max Payne 1 and 2 still hold up well today?...I never played them but am now interested after playing MP3

The MP: Give it some time. I expect that community to grow.

Part of the problem is people like me: I suck. So I'll come in and play and quit after five minutes after some junkies kill me for the tenth time and I'm lucky if I've gotten two kills.

I havn't touched MP yet but I hear good things about it...especially Payne Killer and Gang Wars mode

Finished the Story Mode. Been playing multiplayer for a couple of hours. It's cool how it starts you out with only the Deathmatch modes of play and makes you complete a few achievements before unlocking the harder modes of gameplay. For "beginner" players atleast, it's nice that they work you into it slowly. It's pretty fun so far, I can see myself playing a lot of "Gang Wars" mode, since it's objective based. Multiplayer, especially Deathmatch, can be pretty frustrating though. Never been a huge fan of Deathmatch modes in FPS games, a lot of games you'll respawn and die almost instantly but MP3 has pretty good spawn points so I always feel like I at least have a CHANCE of getting out of the spawn areas.

I wish I had taken advantage of the Steam pre-order where both previous games were bundled for free...does Max Payne 1 and 2 still hold up well today?...I never played them but am now interested after playing MP3

I'll tell you what...if you're not a graphics snob, the first two games hold up VERY well today purely due to their stories and presentation. The gameplay is very fun but someone else will have to chime in with how it compares to MP3. I remember some frustrating parts but I absolutely loved both games.

I tend to enjoy playing older games that were genuinely good and don't let the graphics get in the way. I can't fathom how some people say "I've tried to play Half-Life and I just can't get past the graphics." You are missing out on a SUPERB gaming experience!! System Shock 2, Thief, Deus Ex, the list goes on. Yes, I realize that MP1 was considered more impressive when it came out, but that doesn't make it a bad game today. Just realize going in that it's not going to look like a game from 2012 and enjoy the story/gameplay.

I'll tell you what...if you're not a graphics snob, the first two games hold up VERY well today purely due to their stories and presentation. The gameplay is very fun but someone else will have to chime in with how it compares to MP3. I remember some frustrating parts but I absolutely loved both games.

Agreed, although the squinched Christian Slater face of Max Payne in part 1 was never something I was fond of.

The games are excellent and have aged very well IMO.

I tend to enjoy playing older games that were genuinely good and don't let the graphics get in the way. I can't fathom how some people say "I've tried to play Half-Life and I just can't get past the graphics." You are missing out on a SUPERB gaming experience!! System Shock 2, Thief, Deus Ex, the list goes on. Yes, I realize that MP1 was considered more impressive when it came out, but that doesn't make it a bad game today. Just realize going in that it's not going to look like a game from 2012 and enjoy the story/gameplay.

Absolutely.

That face was modeled after Sam Lake from Remedy. :D

He makes a cameo appearance in MP3 :p

10e0n4p.png

Was getting annoying nvwgf2um.dll crashes to desktop.

Disabled adaptive vsync and all is well again.

Strange.

Beat it last night on Medium, and it was very awesome. Easily one of the best stories in the past few years.

Beat it last night on Medium, and it was very awesome. Easily one of the best stories in the past few years.

I'll say it: This is one of the top games I've played in the last few years. Easily the best "pure action" game I've seen in quite a while.

Sweet game so far. PLaying on hard and it gets a bit tough sometimes, but not too bad.

Tried playing multiplayer but it just hung up on the loading map screen. Will try again tonight.

Hmmm, I came into this thread late as hell. Has Derangel and the rest of the nay-sayers eaten their words yet?

I was going to install it over the weekend, but I got caught up with that FIFA crack again. After my tournament I was going to try this game out.

Hmmm, I came into this thread late as hell. Has Derangel and the rest of the nay-sayers eaten their words yet?

I was going to install it over the weekend, but I got caught up with that FIFA crack again. After my tournament I was going to try this game out.

Dunno about anyone else but yes I have. In fact quite a few pages back I talked about watching a let's play of the 360 version when it released and thinking the game looked really fun even if the story isn't as good as the first two games.

Bought this game to play when taking a "rage" break from Diablo 3 inferno.

This game is amazing. Graphics are great, gameplay is solid and seamless. Lots of cutscenes, but they just add to the depth of the story and the transition from cutscene to gameplay is great.

I have had zero problems running this game. Playing on 2 GTX570's with the latest drivers and an overclocked I7-980.

I highly recommend this game to everyone. I played MP1 and MP2 also.

I have not tried multiplayer yet but I will as soon as I finish the campaign. To tell you the truth, this game is so fun that I will actually replay the story mode again on a higher difficulty setting. Currently playing it on medium.

I'm planning on starting up the campaign again on the next difficulty level after Medium tonight. I'm already giddy and excited, the same amount of excitement I had before I even played the game, it's ridiculous. No other game has made me feel like this haha.

May try multiplayer tonight as well, been looking forward to that after I beat the campaign (beat it way late last night so didn't get a chance to try it).

Also, while the first two games had great stories, this one is EASILY as good if not better. I'd lean towards better. Just overall well done.

Dunno about anyone else but yes I have. In fact quite a few pages back I talked about watching a let's play of the 360 version when it released and thinking the game looked really fun even if the story isn't as good as the first two games.

Respect, it takes a bigger man to acknowledge things like that. :cool:

I had doubts but I knew I was going to play it anyway. But every new glowing sentiment from these [H]'ers is making it hard to wait. Heh.

Plus, many of those games have HD texture updates and widescreen/high-res fixes that make them pretty serviceable graphics-wise.

Re: Half-Life; hopefully we'll see Black Mesa Source one day...

I can't find a physical copy of the game anywhere. Every BB near me is sold out and only had a few copies to begin with. Of course GameStop was a waste of time as well.

I am trying not to download 30gb over Steam but that is looking likely. Anyone else had any luck finding an actual copy at an actual store?

Went to Super Target Saturday night for groceries and they had five copies. I think it was $59.99.

Got it on Gamefly finally for Xbox. I will say this game is fucking awesome.

Probably the best writing in a video game I have seen in quite some time. Even though Deus Ex: HR was well written there was a number of different cheesy moments concerning the boss characters.

Got it on Gamefly finally for Xbox. I will say this game is fucking awesome.

Probably the best writing in a video game I have seen in quite some time. Even though Deus Ex: HR was well written there was a number of different cheesy moments concerning the boss characters.

Speaking of cheesy moments, anyone remember Marcello's dancing in the beginning of MP3? I spit my drink out when I saw it. Then chocked on it for the next half hour because it went into my nose.

I put a few hours into multiplayer yesterday. Very fun. You have to play some Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch to unlock the other modes, which are much more fun IMO. Gang Wars and Payne Killer are pretty sweet. One weird thing I noticed though, at one point I finished a game, came back to the MP screen, and quit out. When I came back later I noticed that I had lost the achievements/money from my most recently played game. For some reason it hadn't saved even though I fully finished the round. Hope this isn't something I can expect to happen often. Otherwise, the gameplay in multiplayer is a blast.

This game is so much fun! I got used to the pacing pretty quickly and performance wise it's been running really well maxed out with 4xAA and HDAO. My only gripes right now are with the jungle level, where it turns into a playable slideshow in certain areas. Also, there were two occasions where clearing a room really fast and wandering off the path to search led to a broken sequence where I couldn't progress any further. I had to reload the checkpoint, clear the area of all baddies and then head straight for the next objective. The music is REALLY good in this game. I'm very impressed.

I'm playing this on my HTPC [Phenom x4 3.0Ghz - 4GB - SSDs - ATI 7970 stock @ 1080p].

Back