Max memory for Laptops

NTJedi

Limp Gawd
What's the current maximum memory found in Laptops? (?8GBs, 12GBs, 16GBs?)
highest I've found is 6GBs

Where's the best quality/service for which to purchase this type of Laptop?

Thanks!

Depends on your chipset, and the amount of slots you have. There are laptops out there with 8 gigs of ram, dont know if i've seen any higher.

You will need a 64 bit OS for 4 gigs and higher of memory. As far as best quality goes, crucial, corsair, and micron are among mine (and i'm sure many others) top picks.

My M1530 has 8GB. But yeah, depends on chipset and mothherboard.

Seems Dell only offers 4GBs, Newegg has 6GBs and Alienware offers 8GBs.

Would be nice if someone had laptops which could hold more RAM.

Seems Dell only offers 4GBs, Newegg has 6GBs and Alienware offers 8GBs.

Would be nice if someone had laptops which could hold more RAM.

A jump from 4 -->6 or even 4-->8 gigs of memory won't really be that significant even for a hardcore gamer, you would likely be bogged down by the laptop's GPU, and the harddrive.

Only in more serious database applications would you get the benefit from 4+ gigs of ram, people are just stuffing their systems full of it, as a desktop 6 gig kit can be had for under 100 bucks.

Running 2 gigs of ram in my laptop(sig). And it does ok for what i throw at it.

Or if you wanted to create a RAMDisk...

For what though, not to be a dick, i'm just curious the best use of a RAMdisk, best i can think of would be for photoshop applications, but then you'd still be bogged down by CPU.

Or are there a lot more cooler applications of RAMDisk that i'm just ignorant of?

I have 8gb in mine, but I know this model can go up to 16gb. I have 4 dimm slots.

A jump from 4 -->6 or even 4-->8 gigs of memory won't really be that significant even for a hardcore gamer, you would likely be bogged down by the laptop's GPU, and the harddrive.

Only in more serious database applications would you get the benefit from 4+ gigs of ram, people are just stuffing their systems full of it, as a desktop 6 gig kit can be had for under 100 bucks.

Typically this is true for games, however Stardock is creating a game which will be able to utilize the extra memory available from 64-bit Operating Systems. This will allow for massively huge maps depending on the available memory.

So I'll give DELL a call and see what they can provide.

For what though, not to be a dick, i'm just curious the best use of a RAMdisk, best i can think of would be for photoshop applications, but then you'd still be bogged down by CPU.

Or are there a lot more cooler applications of RAMDisk that i'm just ignorant of?

For anything that's I/O bound using normal drive(s). I plan on using a RAMDisk on my home file server when I get an extra 4GB delivered next week. I'll be using it to store the spool data for binary newsgroups. Instead of taking ~180 secs to read from disk it should take a lot less to read from RAM.

Back