Max 24/7 vcore for sandy bridge?

2wiced

2[H]4U
Hey guys,I have seen many people run these in the 1.4-1.45 volts. Is that fully. Safe?

That's not even close to an official top voltage. That's just the MAXIMUM VID possible that the processor can automatically recognize using the VRM-12 spec. This is based on some binary mumbo-jumbo that you can google up if you want the specifics.

What's even more confusing is how on the core 2 quads, Max VID was 1.3625v, while absolute maximum was 1.45v. On core i7, absolute max was 1.55v. On i7 gulftown, ab max was 1.40v. And now on sandy bridge here...NO absolute maximum given....

But frankly, it's GOOD that the Intel rep quoted in another thread stated (through the support ticket) that 1.52v "Max Vid" was maximum "Vcore" allowed for 24/7 usage (even if it isn't). Because that means if the chip dies at 1.52v, it's fully warranted, and you can throw that chart right back at Intel for proof...

Last edited:
Ill find out in a few days if I will be ordering a sandy bridge processor. 1.52 just doesnt feel safe to me when teh stock is 1.1 lol. So I guess its gonna be between 1.35 - 1.42 as far as voltage goes. I will be using a corsair H50 with it to keep temps down.

I stick to the +10% voltage rule for 24/7 overclocks which helps greatly for managing heat, component stress and stability. Therefore my 2500k will never see greater than 1.35v.

Look, chances are, you're not going to own your 2500k or 2600k CPU 12 to 24 months down the road.

Race your CPU to win.

If you're some chicken shit that babies their cpu, then fine, whatever. A $1000 cpu, yeah, sure, maybe. But c'mon, a $300 cpu?

Also, lets NOT forget these cpus have not one, not two, but a fist full of built in protection against thermal damage.

Crank up the vcore and run your CPU to win.

I'm running at 1.42 on average under load, temps in the mid 70's with about the max being 85 and watch, I betcha my 4.8 and 4.9 overclocks will still be going strong a year from now.

I'm not trying to be an ass but honestly, don't be timid, shy or scared to eek out every drop of performance you can.

i have benched at 1.584 without issue. for 24/7 i would feel fine at 1.4-1.45. As long as you are cooling it well.

Bottom line is that nobody knows. Intel hasn't specified an "absolute" maximum voltage. Give it a year or so and people will have a better idea of what, if any, voltages cause long-term degradation. But for now, run it where you feel comfortable.

I increase my voltage/multi until I see flames. Then, I swap the board for an identical one and try again.

I'd say 1.4 from what I've see. over there degradation and death. keep pll low too though.

still dont have my SB its arriving...but same thing as ever

while temps dont go crazy you can go nice on volts, some batches will require more volts than others some will heat more than others at less volts

keep your chipset + cpu temps cool and its fine

I wanted to bump this thread. Any updates as far as what people are running for voltages 24/7?

What I'm finding is that overclocking is heavily motherboard dependent in general. It looks like some manufactures have turbo stepping tables up to 5.0G. This allows all the voltage saving capabilities offered from auto LLC, auto voltage etc.

My is a gen3 p67 and only goes to 4.8G turbo stepping. I can get 5.0G stable with a base voltage of 1.49 and load voltage of 1.52. At that I still have cooling headroom. Temps get up 70C max on prime. I'm noticing motherboards all have different oc capabilities as far as OC settings. With that said, I'm currently on the 4.8 t stepping.

And for all you guys stating low voltages for OC over the 4.5G mark, hope your checking your load voltages.

Last edited:
There was a huge thread posted buy an ASUS overclocking expert here a while back ago that really ought to be sticked or somthing. in that thread he stated that ASUS had binned literally thousands of sandy bridge cpu's as far as voltage and clocks go here is what cam out of that thread

1. anything in the 1.4- 1.47 (with 75%LLC) range is fine for 24/7 use.
2. anything up to 1.52 is probably fine as well however past the 1.47 point return in clock speed are basically negligible which leads to points three and four
3. if you can get it to boot at a specific multi at 1.5 volts or less you can probably get it stable if you want conversely if it wont make it to the desktop at 1.5 volts you have hit your chips multi wall and that's all the farther it will go period.
4. If it's not stable (or really close) at 1.47 or less the amount of voltage that you need to get it stable won't be safe for 24/7 use because 1 you may degrade your chip and 2 you probably won't be able to keep the heat in check.

Look, chances are, you're not going to own your 2500k or 2600k CPU 12 to 24 months down the road.

Race your CPU to win.

If you're some chicken shit that babies their cpu, then fine, whatever. A $1000 cpu, yeah, sure, maybe. But c'mon, a $300 cpu?

Also, lets NOT forget these cpus have not one, not two, but a fist full of built in protection against thermal damage.

Crank up the vcore and run your CPU to win.

I'm running at 1.42 on average under load, temps in the mid 70's with about the max being 85 and watch, I betcha my 4.8 and 4.9 overclocks will still be going strong a year from now.

I'm not trying to be an ass but honestly, don't be timid, shy or scared to eek out every drop of performance you can.

LOL! If I had a 2500/2600k I would start that sucker off at 1.4Volt :D

I would turn on speedstep and C1E so it's not 24/7 at such a high voltage.

For example, I have an older i7 930 and run it at 4.3GHz at 1.35v. I have speedstep and C1E on so as long as I'm not gaming or encoding, it usually drops down to 2.4GHz and 1.15v Which is for the majority of the time.

I really think this will help it's lifespan, not to mention heat and electricity :)

Just my preference.

FYI for SirMaster 2nd Gen i7 such as 2500k/2600k C1E does not drop Vcore down but does drop clock to 1.6Ghz - I am running from 1.6Ghz @ 1.485Vcore (1.495v in cpu-z)No Load / 5.0Ghz @ 1.485v (1.475v +/- cpu-z) Under Load. I was curious to see if anyone else is running these volts 24/7 - sometimes i do sometimes i dont also no degradation so far 3-4 months in - cpu-z has shown my chip hitting 1.685v when messing around with offseting voltages scary yes but didnt hurt it that i can see anyway! Tried like crazy to get offset volts stable and did for a night then upon boot the next night back to unstable so im running continuous vcore now at said vcore.Vcore offset is the only way to reduce Vcore at no load with C1E enabled and is a pain in the load line for my chip to run on as i have tried everything twice for days on end to no good end. Any thoughts from anyone??

HAF-X , Maximus IV Extreme B3 , 2600k @ 5Ghz - 1.485v in bios , Kingston HyperX 2000 @ 1866 8-8-8-18 , MSI GTX 580 XT 3Gb , HP ZR30w 2560x1600 , 2 C300 128Gb - RAID 0 , 2 WD Raptors 300Gb - RAID 0 , Antec TPQ PSU , Huge Custom Water Cooling through out case , Pics up soon!

My board is a little weird in that you cannot manually set vCore, not even with offsets, but you can play around with settings and get the max load vCore where you want it. Mine is around 1.41v, temps don't get over about 55c, so that seems safe to me. Chip was $180 at Microcenter - I'm not gonna sweat if I kill it in two years, but I also don't think 1.41v is bad for the chip at all as long as temps are good. ;)

According to some guy at Intel, above 1.375 is the line. This was discussed at overclockers.co.uk forums at the early days of SB. Above you are going on luck if your CPU can take it for long or not. But I really cant be sure if this is correct or not, as there are a lot of SB processors that were bought when they came into market and go over 1.4 and are still working.

Back