mATX with 970,990X or 990FX?

runs2far

Gawd
Hi there

This is probably a stupid question, but are there no micro-ATX motherboards with 970,990X or 990FX chipset?

I have been pondering an upgrade for a some time now, and I thought that I would give Bulldozer a shot, but it seems that there are only ATX boards with the new chipsets from AMD.

I don't think there is... The thing is, mATX usually have integrated video. BUT, currently AMD has decided that 9xx boards won't have onboard video. Instead, if you want onboard video and low TDP, you are supposed to buy Llano CPU with FM1 socket.

So, if you want Bulldozer + mATX, you have to fall back to 880 chipset.

I don't like this strategy they follow either, but that's how it is...

OK, thanks.

I suspected there would not be any mATX 9xx motherboards, but maybe i had missed one by some lesser known manufacturer.

Was hoping to build a small OC capable rig with a good amount of cores all virtualization features, single GPU + a sound card.

Would fit in a mATX botherboard, if Intel did not remove VT-d from K models or someone made a AMD 9xx chipset on mATX.

Guess I will have to decide if I want mATX (Intel Z77) or all virtualization features (AMD 9xx).

OK, thanks.

I suspected there would not be any mATX 9xx motherboards, but maybe i had missed one by some lesser known manufacturer.

Was hoping to build a small OC capable rig with a good amount of cores all virtualization features, single GPU + a sound card.

Would fit in a mATX botherboard, if Intel did not remove VT-d from K models or someone made a AMD 9xx chipset on mATX.

Guess I will have to decide if I want mATX (Intel Z77) or all virtualization features (AMD 9xx).

FYI the Xeons like E3-1230 ( basically a 2600 non-K) keep VT-d and VT-X

FYI the Xeons like E3-1230 ( basically a 2600 non-K) keep VT-d and VT-X

And like all the other non K processors, they don't OC.

I guess I am in the lucky "classic" situation that i want 3 features and I can get 2.

Actually I found one option earlier today, socket 2011, there are mATX boards and C2 stepping has VT-d.

Guess that gives me the following options:
Buy Bulldozer and forget about mATX
Buy i5(K model) and loose VT-d
buy i5 and loose OC
Buy 2011 and pay the premium

Intel added an ugly wrinkle with Ivy. I live semi-close to a Microcenter, and the Ivy Bridge i5 3450 is just $149 there. I was thinking of getting it, but noticed a problem.
As you said, with the previous Sandy Bridge line, the i5 and up cpus without the K had VT-d. You would think that the i5 3450 would also have VT-d since it's an i5 non-K cpu, but that is not correct. The 3450 does not have VT-d. No idea why, but be careful with Ivy. The i5 2400 is probably still available though and does have it. Of course then you can't overclock much.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65511/Intel-Core-i5-3450-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz)

@pgaster

Yeah, but the i5-3550 does have Vt-d, classic Intel feature mix.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65516/Intel-Core-i5-3550-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz)

Why are you trying to overclock on mATX?

mATX takes up less space, allows a pair of add-in cards and why would I not OC?

This tread started with a question if any people knew a mATX with 9xx chipset.
Seems like there are no 9xx mATX motherboards and I have to decide what I want, as per my previous reply.

I don't think there is... The thing is, mATX usually have integrated video. BUT, currently AMD has decided that 9xx boards won't have onboard video. Instead, if you want onboard video and low TDP, you are supposed to buy Llano CPU with FM1 socket.

So, if you want Bulldozer + mATX, you have to fall back to 880 chipset.

I don't like this strategy they follow either, but that's how it is...

Aren't the only differences between the AM3+ socketted 800 and 900-series chipsets faster DDR-3 support and SLI?

I've been thinking about replacing an ATX with a mATX and using an FX-8120.

Last edited:
EDIT: Quoted old post

I don't think any board manufacturer sees a point in anything other than G/GX-based AMD MicroATX boards. A 970 MATX board would have a higher chance than a 990X/FX MATX.

Until Vishera (Piledriver) launches, most board makers are going to push their AMD boards to more of a mid/mid-high position.

Last edited:
And like all the other non K processors, they don't OC.

I guess I am in the lucky "classic" situation that i want 3 features and I can get 2.

Actually I found one option earlier today, socket 2011, there are mATX boards and C2 stepping has VT-d.

Guess that gives me the following options:
Buy Bulldozer and forget about mATX
Buy i5(K model) and loose VT-d
buy i5 and loose OC
Buy 2011 and pay the premium

If you live near a microcenter you could get a i7 3820 and the asrock extreme4-m you might also be able to convince the manager about giving you the combo deal.

Aren't the only differences between the AM3+ socketted 800 and 900-series chipsets faster DDR-3 support and SLI?

I've been thinking about replacing an ATX with a mATX and using an FX-8120.

The 900 series have IOMMU for virtual machines. Intel has the same feature on some of their models, but you have to search through their spec sheet to be sure that a certain model has it.

If you live near a microcenter you could get a i7 3820 and the asrock extreme4-m you might also be able to convince the manager about giving you the combo deal.

I live in Europe :-/

I overclock on a 760g mATX board :eek:

goes 3.8 stable my 955BE.

Nice, but I am sure you can hit 4.0 GHz ;)

Back