mATX Mobo suggestion for 10900k, or alternatives

Choopyplz

Limp Gawd
Looking for options because I find myself in a bit of a spot right now. I had started a build into a Silverstone SG09 a few weeks ago based around the 10900k, and I was using an Asus Z490 G wifi mATX motherboard. I ended up having to RMA the board to Newegg because it wouldn't post no matter what I did, and apparently due to the 500 series boards launching, Newegg no longer carries the same motherboard and just refunded me as of a couple days ago. Now I'm not sure what to do, I can't find the same motherboard in stock anywhere and there is no z590 mATX or Z490 mATX in stock that carries all of the features of the previous board (closest would be the MSI one, but its also OOS). It looks like Asus may be putting out a B560 Strix mATX board sometime soon, so that is an option, but I can't find any indication for when that will be actually released, and I'd really prefer it be a Z series for the better OC flexibility. I'm also tempted to just sell the 10900k at a small loss and go for an AMD 5800X since performance is roughly the same (better in a lot of ways on the 5800X). What makes the most sense here? Where do boards go that are so recently discontinued? It was just a matter of a couple days and the Z490 board seems to have all but vanished from all retailers online.

Another option would be to get a standard ATX mobo and get a new case too, but I'd rather not -- I like this case a lot and have invested in it with better fans and an accommodating CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Funny, I was going to suggest the Asus Z490-G. I have one that works great.

MSI MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI is one of the best value MATX Z490. However, its in high demand, so it often sells for much higher than its roughly $200 regular price.

There should be a bunch of new 5 series boards releasing in the next week or two.

MSI MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI is one of the best value MATX Z490. However, its in high demand, so it often sells for much higher than its roughly $200 regular price.

There should be a bunch of new 5 series boards releasing in the next week or two.

I did end up just buying Kirby's Asus Z490 G (!!!) but the MSI was certainly the other one that I was shopping around for yesterday. I already have the 10900k, so some of the key features of the 500 series boards would be lost on me unless I got an 11th gen cpu as well.

Is the mATX form factor waning in popularity? I saw a Reddit post today with an Asus rep saying they weren't even intending to make a higher end Z590 mATX board. I've always really liked the form factor, especially for when running a single video card.

I did end up just buying Kirby's Asus Z490 G (!!!) but the MSI was certainly the other one that I was shopping around for yesterday. I already have the 10900k, so some of the key features of the 500 series boards would be lost on me unless I got an 11th gen cpu as well.

Is the mATX form factor waning in popularity? I saw a Reddit post today with an Asus rep saying they weren't even intending to make a higher end Z590 mATX board. I've always really liked the form factor, especially for when running a single video card.
Rather than waning....I think its being supported more than ever, by board partners. MSI has several 5 series MATX boards soon to release.

Rather than waning....I think its being supported more than ever, by board partners. MSI has several 5 series MATX boards soon to release.

It's almost the de facto size for generic OEM builds. Unfortunately that doesn't always transfer back into quality DIY boards.

It goes up and down. It's common for the OEMs to do it, and common for some generations - but it comes and goes. ITX is always popular, as is ATX - the big mommas (EATX/etc) and mid-sized (mATX) come and go from time to time it seems. When I bought my Z170 system, there were a lot to pick from - but not really any for Z490. Lots coming for Z590, and x570 had a bunch too...?

Back