mATX mobo for i5-33 issue

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by GustavoWoltmann016, Jan 5, 2017.

1. GustavoWoltmann016

GustavoWoltmann016 n00bie

I have an i5-33 that needs a new mATX mobo, 4 dimm sockets and the usual features. ASUS, GA, MSI or asrock is prefered. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Gutavo Woltmann

2. mda

mda Gawd

What is the exact CPU model? You seem to be missing 2 digits from the exact model number...

i5-33**

Reason I am asking is because we want to make sure there aren't any typos aside from the omitted info.

Also, what are 'the usual' features?

3. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Limp Gawd

i5-3xxx should indicate Ivy Bridge era. Given that, there's not much selection for this generation board out there, so you're best off buying used. You'll be looking for a mATX board with the H77, Z75 or Z77 chipset. Additionally, depending on the board you could possibly use a Sandy Bridge generation board running something like the H67, P67 or Z68, but their support would likely be dependent on a BIOS update to support the third generation CPU. If you don't have a 2nd gen CPU hanging around (Sandy Bridge, i3 or i5-2xxx) then you might not have a CPU to stick in the board to perform the BIOS update with.

Either way, the selection of New boards for this generation CPU is essentially gone. And with you shopping used, well, you'll be limited by what you can find, not by what feature set you're looking for. eBay may offer more options here, but be wary since the CPU pins are extremely delicate and I trust the average [H] user from the forums far more than the average eBay seller.