Matrix Online, Eve Online or that pirates game Online questions...

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Is people still playing Matrix Online? I played it for 12 or 15 levels and then stopped...was wondering if its worth checking it again.

How about Eve online...seems interesting and from what I read you can level up when not playing....thats good since I got very limited playing time.

I wanted to play that pirates online game too but it seems not too be very good...

any thoughts on this?
Any recommendations?
Thanks

ARE people still playing Matrix Online? I played it for 12 or 15 levels and then stopped... I was wondering if it's worth checking OUT again.

How about Eve online...seems interesting and from what I read you can level up when not playing....that's good since I HAVE very limited playing time.

I wanted to play that pirates online game too but it seems TO not be very good...

any thoughts on this?
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Fixes in bold, Legible Sentence Nazi will go away now.

Carry on.

edit:
Matrix Online: Now that it is run by SOE I'd stay away from it like the plague.
EVE : If you have a large amount of time to learn the interface and devote to it then knock yourself out.
Pirates: From all the reviews I have read, it's very simple and can get boring quickly.

mmm so any easy to jump in involving games that you can recommend...similar to the ones I asked about?
I think my lack of time is going to be a problem with any MMO don't you agree?

Yes, but I hear Eve online is easy in casuals because you can basically earn levels and skills even while you are offline. Eve is very popular.

Matrix I got when it came out, it wasn't very good. I don't think anyone plays it any more.

And the pirates game, do you mean PoTBS? I hear it's a bit worse than so-so

Yeah thats the pirate game.
A shame cause I love the whole pirates thing (I guess from my many nights playing the C64 pirates).
How about Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?
It seems if you dont jump in when the games are just coming out...its pretty hard to join later on.

Agreed. It's really hard to get into a game thats been out for 2-3 years. I am a huge hater of anything SOE run so Star Wars is out with the exception of the KOTOR one if/when it comes out.

I don't agree at all about being behind the power curve by joining late.

It doesn't make a difference in WoW or CoH or many others I can think of.

Eve Online, however, may be a different story because with that game, it's actual real time you are investing (from what I have read). Is there a way to power level in that game? It doesn't seem to lend itself to that.

And it's not even about being power leveled. It's not like the people who are at a capped level in games like WoW can get any further ahead of you. They can outgear you but you if you l2play your char-toon, you can get in good guilds and then gearing is dependent upon your schedule.

As has been said, Matrix Online wasn't that good to begin with and now that it's run by SOE, I would follow the advice given by 222...stay away.

There are some threads in here about Eve Online...I would search them out for more info.

Never heard of the pirates one.

The Matrix Online is as good as dead. There are still a few players running around but the population has decreased a lot since they lost their one and only full time developer Rarebit. If you didnt enjoy it before then I cant imagine you would enjoy it now.

Thats a shame cause the game had potential and the whole "feeling" to it was nice. oh well....

You can train skills while you aren't playing in EVE...I'm not sure how it is now but when I played you needed a good 6-8 months before you could be effective in PvP if that's your thing. The drawback of not having to play to train is that they make training take a very long time and there's not a ton you can do to speed it up, especially as a new player.

That said, best MMO I've ever played.

You can train skills while you aren't playing in EVE...I'm not sure how it is now but when I played you needed a good 6-8 months before you could be effective in PvP if that's your thing.
What?
You can fly an effective tackler in a week or less, a useful Blackbird within a month, and by three, depending on what you aim for, you should be able to fly a decent Scorpion, interceptor or t1-gunned BS among other things. If you were talking about solo PvP, I could see that, but trying to solo in EVE is pointless.

[edit] ^ QFT - You can fly a frigate on day 1 and they're cheap, fast and useful in many scenarios. Fleet battles = no, but those are another beast entirely (and you can be a 6 year vet in a completely pimped out battleship and get popped rapidly if you are designated as a primary target.)

New players in EVE have train twice as fast, up to 1.6 million skill points, and you do not need to be online to train as long as you have enough skills in your training queue.

The big time investment at the beginning of the game is learning the game mechanics and the interface, and there's a lot to learn.

Yeah thats the pirate game.
A shame cause I love the whole pirates thing (I guess from my many nights playing the C64 pirates).
How about Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?
It seems if you dont jump in when the games are just coming out...its pretty hard to join later on.

Lord of the Rings Online is pretty awesome. The population is great and the game is fun. You have the ability to play it casually, however, you might miss out on some fun stuff. If you ever make it to 60, there are fun instances that really do not take too long.

I played Matrix Online when it was in beta, was alot of people then. I'm sure its about dead by now.

Yeah, I still think my limited time is my major problem.
I am thinking on doing some trials and see which one I can get into quicker.

Yeah, I still think my limited time is my major problem.
I am thinking on doing some trials and see which one I can get into quicker.

Have you considered Warhammer Online? If you like PvP it may give you your MMO fix as well. It is pretty easy to level casually, at least early on. You can level purely through PvP, both instanced and open world. And every 10 levels there are new maps used for the instanced PvP. Which, if you like the earlier maps, you end up with multiple toons so you can play the maps you like.

there are some people giving away trial keys in another thread if PvP is your thing.

Back