Matching ZR24W to ZR2440W and IPS glow

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in display hell again :D, decided to switch my secondary 2333HD monitor to ZR2440W to match my existing ZR24W and thats when the problems started, the ZR2440W colors and hue were way off and no amount of manual tweaking would fix that. Tried a spyder 4 pro to get them to look right but to no avail. Not having much luck with my current iDisplay pro either.

So I decided to temporarily ditch the ZR2440W and go to a single monitor setup and just calibrate my zr24w. While calibration was a mixed bag, what alarms me most now is that IPS glow now seems through the roof, where as previously the blacks on it were pure black.

Obviously, I have tried resetting all monitor settings to default, using my older stock profile and removing any profiler software to no avail.

I have also noticed that bios screen too has the glow now so it may be at the monitor hardware level: may be the calibrators permanently screwed up the monitor gamme/LUT ?

Not sure if this makes sense but this is what I saw...kind of wish I had left things as is...

Any experts advice will be much appreciated at this point.

Very certain of it, not quite sure what could have happened, screen looks fine except for blacks and if it were only in windows, I would think it was a driver setting tweaked by the calibration software i1profiler, but the bios screen Is independent of all that. I was also super careful with the meters and placed them ever so gently on the screen using the counterweight as suggested...I doubt placing them on he screen caused this....these devices r used for calibrating $1000 screens and I doubt they cause any damage....so far what was meant to be an exercise to get two great IPS screens for my home office has turned into an agony of mismatched colors and apparently made my original screen worse.

On a side note, I think he primary reason he zr2440w can't match the zr24w is he fact that it is 6 bit not because of Led vs ccfl, one good test is tech report.com, the home page is blue on my zr24w and iPhone 4s which are both native 8 bit but looks purple on my nexus 7, laptop and zr2440w. The iPhone , nexus , laptop and zr2440w r all led but only the iphone is true 8bit. So all hose reviews about 6-bit panels being as good r bogus IMHO.

Try (1) decrease the monitor's brightnes, then (2) increase the monitor's contrast.

Everything is at what it used to be , only the glow is much more now and it is glow an not bleed as It goes away when shifting from side to side.

Update: recalibrated my zr24w to a 7500k whitepoint since 6500k is too red for me and my ZR24W is now showing contracst ratios of >900+ , repositioning it a bit also helped with the glow issue. That, along with the lower latency have made me decide to use this as my primary display and the ZR2440 as secondary.

I almost like the fact that CCFL takes time to warm up vs LED, makes it easier for sleepy eyes in the morning, my ZR24W does have a very small dark subpixel somewhere on the upper right but I'm just being picky now, it is almost never noticeable and the zr2440w has a very slight temp gradient from left to right...

I'll try to keep honing the ZR2440W to match my ZR24W but I've given up on an exact color match: it's impossible as the 6-bit panel has quite inaccurate blues.

Anyone else care to chime in on this: visiting techreport.com is an easy test, the background should be blue and not purple: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18996

6-bit panels do show their weakness somewhere IPS or not!

Besides white point matching, which can be done to a reasonable degree, color matching is the other issue. Technically two screens calibrated to deltaE <2 should match, but in actuality , the 2440's blues are still way off.

Since I only really use the second screen for when I work from home, its not that big of a deal I guess.

I was mainly bothered by how different the blue win2k8 backgrounds looked in my RDP windows on the two screens.

Must accept this, getting another zr24w (hard to find now at good prices) is not worth it just for this.

For gaming, my single ZR24W is perfect.

Technically two screens calibrated to deltaE <2 should match, but in actuality , the 2440's blues are still way off.
When using a profile validation you must consider that the color distance presented here only refers to the displayed tonal value and the accordant transformation through the specific display profile itself. It's an actual-theoretical comparison of the display characterisation and current display state and says absolutely nothing about color matching of different devices.This is often misunderstood &#8211; even in reviews.

The CMM in color aware software which considers the participating profiles can't compensate for undercoverages regarding the source of course. Out of gamut colors are mapped to the gamut boundary.Without color aware software the tonal values are not transformed in any way (apart from LUT corrections). Differences in the color gamut of different devices will show up very clearly.

One example:

Profile validation of standard gamut screen

Profile validation of WCG screen

=> Both are showing low deviations because the screens behave linear enough so that the actual display state can be described by the simple matrix profile that was created.

Same screens but measurement against AdobeRGB under consideration of working color space and display profile:

standard gamut screen

WCG screen

Note that many of the highly saturated colors cannot be displayed perfectly with the standard gamut screen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed info there, just getting started with understanding how all this works from a technical perspective and that helps.

Any one else tried to match these two monitors or may be another CCFL LCD to LED care to share there experiences? Someone must have had tried this with a U2410 and U2412 too....

Back