MasterCard Making A Credit Card With A Fingerprint Sensor

HardOCP News

[H] News
MasterCard has just announced the world’s first biometric contactless payment card with integrated fingerprint sensor.

The Zwipe MasterCard payment card is the world’s first fingerprint authenticated contactless payment card. It includes an integrated biometric sensor and the Zwipe secure biometric authentication technology that holds the cardholder’s biometric data. It contains an EMV certified secure element and MasterCard’s contactless application.

Something like this is what we should switch to instead of just the 20 year old chip and pin system.

What happens when your fingerprint data is stolen? You get new fingers?

Damn straight! :D

mib_fingerprint.png

This is not a bad idea, if it actually works. I see somewhere between a 5% and 20% failure rate for fingerprint biometrics at my job, depending on the person's age, the moisture in their skin, and the climate. Dry and cold places are skewed more towards the higher failure percentages, and people over 60 tend to have more difficulty due to dry skin. It would suck to have your card denied just because you live in Milwaukee and need to put on some hand lotion :D

This is not a bad idea, if it actually works. I see somewhere between a 5% and 20% failure rate for fingerprint biometrics at my job, depending on the person's age, the moisture in their skin, and the climate. Dry and cold places are skewed more towards the higher failure percentages, and people over 60 tend to have more difficulty due to dry skin. It would suck to have your card denied just because you live in Milwaukee and need to put on some hand lotion :D

It puts the lotion on it's skin!

My hands get pretty dry from time to time. The few times I've had to get fingerprinted for work, the fingerprint scanner person had to moisturize my fingers and take multiple scans. I could see the biometric scan causing problems for some people.

What about wet, pruney fingers?

How thick is that card? It was hard to tell from the pictures on the site, but it looked like it would make quite a bulge in someone's wallet.
Also, being that thick, I wonder how well it would hold up to bending while being carried in the back pocket? Will it hold up to sweat from being stored in the ass pocket?
You know, for people who actually do manual labor outside when it is hot? I want more information than was provided in that teaser article.

Anyone ever been to Disneyworld? Summabitches can't remember which finger they use half the time and as a result hold up the entire line getting into the park. Yeah this will work great!

So does this mean everyone that uses one of these will have their fingerprints sold and stored in multiple national/international databases ?

Not sure that is going to help when you buy stuff online, or when they store all your CC info at any retail store.

Not sure that is going to help when you buy stuff online, or when they store all your CC info at any retail store.
It could be just an excuse to collect everybody's fingerprints to begin with. These things were easily being hacked ten years ago and since you can't change your fingerprints if compromised, proved useless. Unless, you just want the fingerprints themselves and needed a reason to ask for them.

[tin foil hat theories]

I should have added, I like Google Wallet CC, everything comes to my phone real time, so I can stop purchases in seconds.

It could be just an excuse to collect everybody's fingerprints to begin with. These things were easily being hacked ten years ago and since you can't change your fingerprints if compromised, proved useless. Unless, you just want the fingerprints themselves and needed a reason to ask for them.

[tin foil hat theories]

Agreed! A few years ago, the school wanted to fingerprint my kid (8) so he didn't have to remember his id number. I stopped that real fast, asked what kind of firewall and security they had setup, and how long would they guarantee it was secure, and if they were ready to be sued for loosing that information. They sent me a waiver so he didn't have to get finger printed. 2 years later it was gone, not sure what happened to all the kids fingerprint data that their parents didn't mind. That is what I was worried about.

My kid was never finger printed, and he never forget if 4 pin id either. Go Figure.

[tin foil hat theories]

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. Biometric readers don't take a photo of your fingerprint. A vast majority of them are just capacitive readers (like a specialized capacitive touch screen) which pick up a few data points on your thumbprint. There are precious few systems that get enough data points to reconstruct even a small part of your fingerprint, let alone the whole thing. A biometric reader on a card like this is going to be a verification-only device, which gets enough data points to rule out a majority of the population. It will only have a vague description of the major features of your fingerprint.

There are advanced biometric readers which can be used for accurate identification which can resolve fine details, but the reader requires enough hardware that you're not going to see it reduced to the size of a credit card anytime in the next 20-30 years. Also, most biometric readers that I've dealt with have encryption built into the hardware, so the only way to get any usable data would be to wire up something to the reader itself and bypass the encryption.

Biometric readers just aren't as complicated as most people think they are.

Oh, I see, so it's just to get people use to using consumer grade versions so that when the high tech versions finally become mainstream that can swipe everyone's entire fingerprints very accurately there won't be any uproar about it. It'll be the norm, got it. However I know humans have evolved to react badly to quick dangerous movements, not slower yet equally dangerous ones. Just like a herd of gazelles or any other group of animals being hunted. Yeah, that doesn't help me feel better guy. It's the road we're going down that worries me, not where we are on that specific road at this time. That's irrelevant.

Something like this is what we should switch to instead of just the 20 year old chip and pin system.

Chip and pin isn't even the standard in the US yet. Our pro-identity theft banks are still issuing credit cards with the easy steal magnetic strips.

So does this mean everyone that uses one of these will have their fingerprints sold and stored in multiple national/international databases ?

Pretty much. So now, whether you have broken the law or not, your fingerprints are now out there. And im betting so is your DNA depending upon where and how you have to first set your prints for the bank. And goodluck now that DNA can be patented and more shit thats your is made money off of.

So yea.... i cant wait to see this shit come out, i bet they are able to solve a lot of cold cases nationwide, but that would be great huh? No invasion of privacy here, nope, no real police work or anything, just point click and match, and you are now arrested for lighting poop on fire 30 years ago on your neighbors porch. Them old guys save everything, just like the banks.

No one is going to want to carry a credit card by the time this releases. The future is going to be completely virtual, paypal, and stuff like that. You can now pay with paypal just using a phone number and a pin. You can change your pin or phone number any time you feel insecure. Seems like a perfectly fine system, stop trying to make stupid cards.

The fingerprint sensor on the card is coming from a Swedish company called Fingerprint Cards.
www.fingerprints.com. (fing b). This deal is about hundreds of millions of sensors that needs to be deliveredin 2015 and forward.
Fingerprint Cards (FPC) has recently also won two new separate design wins (DW) with FPC’s touch fingerprint sensors FPC1150 and FPC1021. The first is regarding FPC’s touch fingerprint sensor FPC1150, which will be used as a home button by a Global Tier 1 OEM customer in a flagship model with a target launch date in Q1 2015.
The exellent sensor in the Huawei Mate 7 phone is coming from this company.

I and most of the 1940-50-60-70 and 80 generation will never only depend on the phone when leaving home!

No one is going to want to carry a credit card by the time this releases. The future is going to be completely virtual, paypal, and stuff like that. You can now pay with paypal just using a phone number and a pin. You can change your pin or phone number any time you feel insecure. Seems like a perfectly fine system, stop trying to make stupid cards.
not happening.
I am not going to tie up my money to some other shitty company, let alone my cellphone, let alone paypal... SCREW THAT SHIT.
Now if bank of America becomes PayPal, then that is their problem, I will use whatever they give me.
I am fairly tech savvy, and I ain't using shit but my plastic from my bank.
To me apple pay, and any other crap is fad that will soon die.

Back