Massive Water Cooling Setup Suggestions Welcomed

Why wouldn't the government want to use a currency they can't just print more of?

beacause btc is not backed on the govts say so and economy like the us dollar is.

Crypto currencies are backed by math very very complex math driven by demand and how many cycles are tossed behind them. Btw in a years time the op's setup there can generate about $100,000 usd and his power bill is up about 1400 per month he makes about 300 per day...

Hell, I should have taken out a loan and made a setup like this. I the mining rig would be more than enough to make the monthly payments...
till the bubble bursts and you left with 20k in computer hardware that has no resale value cause it was mined on and the demand has crashed.

Last edited:
OK guys, this is a cooling thread, not a debate on BTC/LTC or the governments involvement in either. Please keep it on topic and quit bringing up currency into the discussion

If my calculations are correct using a very conservative 290 hashrate of 850 and depending power costs, you're potentially generating $234/day after expenses (not including hardware).

Good lord man.

That is taking into account the current price if I sold. Price recently was as high as $45 each, and when I started it was valued at only $.003 each. So yeah I did really well.

You'd be looking at a couple hundred for each block.
I'd think your plan for this is making money, and while I fully understand the concept of spend money to make money, you don't need to throw it away either. Blocks are poor investments and will bring no return come end-game. Now if you think this setup is a five year plan sort of thing, by all means, but I think that is important information to consider when coming up with a solid solution. ie: If these cards will go up for sale in 6-12 months, it's not worth it.

I doubt that this setup will be relevant in 5 years for mining. It probably won't be more than break even after 2-3 years as difficulties ramp up, and the cost of electricity rises. Also there is no guarantee that litecoin will be worth anything in 5 years. It's a huge investment.

That said - to invest thousands more in a water cooling setup seems to be counter-productive to it's purpose - which is to make money. BIG AC....run it until it costs more than it makes.

My first question would be:

What are your "earnings" in terms of LTC/Day off your rig? That, right there, will help determine if the rig's earnings are good enough to justify the cash outlay.

Your rig is putting out about 55K BTU.
That's beyond most home AC units. Even if you're talking nominal capacity.

Heavy duty Window AC units top out at 28K BTU/h. Peak.

But you can't run an AC unit 24/7 at peak capacity. You'll burn it out in relatively short order.

Nominal's around 75/80%.

Goodman makes a 7.5 ton AC unit with a nominal output of 87K BTU/h.
Price: $2500-3000 plus shipping and installation.

On top of that, you're going to need to make sure that your electrical service can handle that kind of load. Hell you may even have zoning issues.

On top of that, even if you're able to get this sucker in, you're going to want to remodel the area where you have your farm.

1: Cut down on the area that your cooling unit has to cool. This means walling in the rig to a certain degree. You can either close it off with a conventional door, or, as someone pointed out, plastic strip-door like they use in refrigeration. Put a good, insulated door on the main room in any case. And insulate the room.

2: Think through your cooling solution. Don't just dump the air into the room and then assume everything gets cool.

Look at how data centers do it. A lot of them have some form of interstitial flooring (a raised floor so that AC and electrical service run in from underneath). You don't have to invest in a real interstitial setup, but think about raising the area where your rig sits. Then blowing the air in from the bottom. You then vent it out the top and, hopefully, out of the house.

Watercooling something like this is probably a no-go due to cost, complexity and lack of flexibility (should you want to increase the size of your rig. Plus, you still have to vent the heat someplace.

Also, even if these AC units tend to dehumidify the air, you may want to invest in a largish dehumidifier unit just in case, as any kind of water introduced to your rig could be horrendous.

Right now, with LTC sitting at about $17/LTC, you're probably looking at a break-even cost, including the rig (Which cost you what? About $35-40K?). Say the total project soaks you for $50K. At current LTC prices, you're looking at about 3000 LTC.

I don't know what the output of a single R290 is. But, if the rig is putting out 5 LTC a day, you're talking 20 months before break-even. And that's not including electricity.

So I ask again, what kind of output is your rig throwing out currently?

Now, I'm currently seeing articles on how, with LiteCoin, you could break even on just a GPU in about a month. If this is so (and on this cryptocurrency stuff, I'm ALWAYS going to be a non-participating pessimist), you could probably, even with a few difficulty shifts, break even on the whole project in 2-5 months if the exchange price doesn't bottom out.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a commercial foodservice grade walk in cooler. Just keep the rig in there.

LOL, that would be awesome if I had a 200 card farm. Unfortunately at my location power would be a huge issue, not to mention possible local ordinances. The power of a setup for just those gpus would be 250 amps at 240v. I'd definitely need another 200 amp panel.

At the moment I think ducting with high flow ventilation system with the room walled off so the air could be cycled in under a minute will probably be the best bet. Come spring when it isn't cool I may have to look into getting a 6 ton a/c unit.

Keep the ideas coming.

16kw = 55k BTU... just get a home AC unit for that one room. one with a 80-100kw/hr rating should give you enough power to play with. thats going to be the most cost effective.

no need to look into walkin fridge/freezers, going below the dewpoint, and having to deal with all that condensation on thousands of $ worth of hardware. 60-70 degrees is fine, you just have to move a lot of energy.

Good idea, it's safer too. watering cooling would be a massive undertaking with some many points of failure something could go horribly wrong.

Wouldn't some sort of oil immersion work for this? Seems like it would be less maintenance too.

That would be a great idea. With the amount of heat he is putting off he might as well earn some extra income by contracting out to the local McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken to cook their food. :p

I see your 53 cards and raise you 55, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=361992.msg3881993#msg3881993.

You guys are nuts! ;)

Yeah, I've seen that bitcointalk post. Pretty impressive indeed. I'd like to go much bigger but the problem is power and stability with current mining software with R9 290 drivers. Hopefully in the next week or two I get these units dialed in and are rock solid stable. I have no plans on overclocking these units. I'd rather add more cards than overclock as overlocking decreases the performance to watt ratio. I was happy getting these cards at $399 each through Newegg with BF4 copies :)

It's possible but even if you used triple rads you would still need 18 triple rads in which you could stack. You would have 1800 dollars in radiators alone! You would have to do more groups in order to make it effective. You cant hook all of them up in serial, the required pump to push through all of those waterblocks would be ridiculous.

You would probably have to hook up 9 cards in series with 2 D5 pumps with 3 triple rads. That is how I would try to do it at first.

If you want, just bring it all up here to the great white north and i'll let you put it in my backyard, it's been between -2 and 0 F. lol Just clear out the snow for me. haha

You should consider a through-wall air conditioner (ie: condenser outside) that can do about 100k BTU (this will give you room to grow, and it will be more efficient at 50% duty cycle than a 50K BTU at 100% duty cycle).

a 100K BTU through-wall air conditioner setup will run you about $3500 installed, including the electrical. Add ~3.5KW onto your elecricity consumption.

I hope you're mining dogecoin, you should be earning about $650/day after electricity expenses.

Here's a cost breakdown for anybody thinking about it (not that you can get 50 R9 290's anyway).

53 R9 290: $399 (if you're lucky) = $21147
13 motherboards, cpu + ram, ~ $280 ea = $3640
13 1200W+ PSU's, ~$240 ea = $3120
53 pci-e risers: $12 ea (if ordered from china): $636
2 50A 240V pdu's (used): $250 ea: $500
Shelving and accessories: ~$200
Control system (kvm/head computer/network): $800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All around $30,043.

Mining potential:

45MH/s scrypt.

Electricity costs: $28-$56/day (at 0.08c-0.16c/kw)
Mining profit per day: ~$700 (if mining dogecoin and trading for btc at market rate).

Net profit of $650-680 per day.

ROI: 44 days.

Good work OP, smart investment.

I'd consider the 8 ton air conditioner (100,000 BTU) as it will cost you ~$15-20 per day to run and will prolong the life of your cards significantly. http://www.amazon.com/Goodman-Comme...2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387857121&sr=1-2 Here is one for $2700, You can just run it on a thermostat in the room with a few tubes through the wall and an evaporator in the room with a fan on it, very cheap install.

The water-cooling route doesn't make much sense financially.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
these setups make me sick to my stomach. everyone wants something for nothing. if something seems to good to be true then it "always" is! i cant wait until this nonsense gets shut down!

Quick question, I read that there are devices you can buy which are specifically designed for mining bitcoins. They were 10X better at mining than consumer GPUs. I am surprised to hear that people are using consumer GPUs for this still. Are my facts incorrect?

^ Yup. There's a reason data centers aren't watercooled. If you're still set on that, you can buy an industrial chiller to handle the cooling part - plumbing and blocks are up to you.

A commercial evaporative cooler may be a more cost-effective alternative to A/C.

The NSA data center in Utah is watercooled

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/25978926?mobile_direct=y

Hopefully not for much longer though

Great start, OP.

So many people underestimate the dedication and time it takes to run a farm and maintain it.

Everyone instantly shunning waterblocking the whole setup hasn't had 50+ cards before.
Everyone instantly saying use A/C hasn't had 50 cards before.

If you wanna talk to some people that have real experience running farms, and not just theorycrafting on their favorite computer forum, hop on into #coinhuntr chat on irc.freenode.net and send me a message. I can provide a hand as well as give you names of others at the top of the business of scrypt mining. (CoinHuntr is a litecoin mining pool ran by an [H] member since April 2013, that I have been a part of and have personally found around 100 blocks for the pool since then).

Regardless of whether you end up contacting me, good luck and have fun!

that would be an idea. all cards on a rack the way you have it, have each rack a separate "duct" AC air or even passive liquid to extract some of the heat faster form each "duct" air goes into the ducts to feed cooler air to the rack of cards, the back end of cards has its own ducts, so exterior air of some kind(does not need to be directly cooled, I have seen studies that IBM did that was WAY more energy efficient to warm water cool, the force cool, as in keep room at 40c or so instead of 20c)

anyways so something like this
-----------------exhaust duct--------outside
| | | | | gpu rack
------------------intake air duct
this way here you can just feed the cards filtered standard temperature air, it will be easier on the cards, and provided you supply enough airflow to the ducts it will be able to supply enough air to each separate duct and make it easier to increase cooling etc as needed.

I am not that great at math so I will not try and figure out all the critical numbers but I do know they make more professional type ac and even ducted fans if you can feed a duct from say a 4 duct ac to each rack it may be sufficient enough without stressing the cards or having to have a massive unit to cool the entire room, though the fridge used in kitchens and fridges I am sure could work very well f you reduced the size of the fridge in question i.e instead of a 50 cubic foot fridge, you keep the same cooling potential but instead duct that cooling air to each intake duct, very cold, very high flow :)

you reference ASICS, they do not make ASICS for scrypt style mining(yet) as they need memory to do this, bitcoin mining does not, so as it stands, GPU are the ones that do litecoin type mining(alt coins better know as scrypt type) where bitcoin can use ASICS and FPGA as they have access to local small amounts of cache and are done through a specialized SHA256 type hash, part of the reason why Radeons are exceptional at doing BTC type mining then Nvidia cards.

Nvidia may have a lot of performance when it comes to gaming type loads, but when it comes to crunching, they don't hold a candle to Radeons and proper coding.

If anyone want's to know what this guy is making, here you go -

At current difficulty of 2,919.597, your expected LTC earnings for 53 x R9 290 are: 14.61 [$251.31] per day, 102.25 [$1758.81] per week, and 438.22 [$7537.87] per Month. Dollar Values Based Off Current LTC Value of $17.2011

He has aprox $23,500 invested in the video cards alone.

It's possible but even if you used triple rads you would still need 18 triple rads in which you could stack. You would have 1800 dollars in radiators alone! You would have to do more groups in order to make it effective. You cant hook all of them up in serial, the required pump to push through all of those waterblocks would be ridiculous.

You would probably have to hook up 9 cards in series with 2 D5 pumps with 3 triple rads. That is how I would try to do it at first.

If you want, just bring it all up here to the great white north and i'll let you put it in my backyard, it's been between -2 and 0 F. lol Just clear out the snow for me. haha

Other then water blocks, all "normal" water cooling components are inadequate, he would need a single heavy duty pump and radiator from a heavy duty vehicle.

LOL, that would be awesome if I had a 200 card farm. Unfortunately at my location power would be a huge issue, not to mention possible local ordinances. The power of a setup for just those gpus would be 250 amps at 240v. I'd definitely need another 200 amp panel.

At the moment I think ducting with high flow ventilation system with the room walled off so the air could be cycled in under a minute will probably be the best bet. Come spring when it isn't cool I may have to look into getting a 6 ton a/c unit.

Keep the ideas coming.

Then I say my idea of using a continuous duty cycle pump and truck radiator would be awesome, you should try it just to see what happens:D

It has already been explained a couple times why a in-wall unit wont even come close to providing enough cooling power.

Edit: I have another idea, build a plywood enclosure, have split the cards up so that there are 5 levels and the cards are single depth, use an industrial blower type fan with shroud to blow air into the enclosure and vent to the outside. You could probably even use a couple large box fans.

Last edited:
Quick question, I read that there are devices you can buy which are specifically designed for mining bitcoins. They were 10X better at mining than consumer GPUs. I am surprised to hear that people are using consumer GPUs for this still. Are my facts incorrect?

This is not for bitcoin mining, but for litecoin/scrypt mining which is more resistant to those type of devices (as such, none are available yet). Nobody mines bitcoins on gpu's any more.

I think I'd try your high airflow solution and see if that works. If not, I'd try to increase the airflow and optimize the ducting further. Maybe it will work... Try to make sure that the exhaust air is not recycled into the intake.

You could also apply new thermal paste on all of the GPU heatsinks (to try to keep those GPU fan speeds down a bit). That may help just a bit.

If you're worried about warmer weather, I suppose the mineral oil idea is not a bad one.

Several power efficient pumps + some well thought-out tube-routing to ensure good oil circulation + a few gigantic automotive radiators outside = not much power added.

The fans continue to spin in the mineral oil, but I'm guessing that you'll need to purchase several pumps to create a flow-path. Inside the reservoir you can probably use some smaller pumps... not sure what to do.

Depending on the mineral oil used, you may need to keep an eye on your rubber wire insulation: http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

It has already been explained a couple times why a in-wall unit wont even come close to providing enough cooling power.

This is flat out wrong. an 8 ton will adequately cool the 55000btu this farm is producing. read: through-wall not in-wall.

Did OP mention what he's paying for electricity costs?

The water cooling setup would eventually cost less, but it would have to be close to a year depending on OP's elecricity costs and you can resell an AC unit but reselling 50 waterblocks is a bit difficult.

Wouldn't some sort of oil immersion work for this? Seems like it would be less maintenance too.

Uhm. No.

You still have all the problems of "where do I get rid of the damn heat?", plus it isn't exactly all THAT low maintenance unless you're dealing with a sealed vessel (which can be a bitch if something goes out).

No. You're correct.

There's special, purpose-built ASIC devices out there that are so dialed in that they'll mine bitcoin faster than any GPU is capable of. And there's guys running entire data centers full of them...

Crazy shit.

Great start, OP.

So many people underestimate the dedication and time it takes to run a farm and maintain it.

Everyone instantly shunning waterblocking the whole setup hasn't had 50+ cards before.

Waterblocking in a setup like his has drawbacks. And it still doesn't deal with "where do you dump the waste heat?".

The heat's already coming off the cards. Where's it going? Into the ambient air of the room.
If he waterblocks the whole setup? Where's the waste heat going? Same place. Out into ambient.

If he starts with some sort of AC/evap cooling unit that removes the heat from the area, he can choose to stay on ambient (if he can get his thermal flow worked out) or go with a waterblock setup.

Everyone instantly saying use A/C hasn't had 50 cards before.

Have you worked with a 2000 node blade farm before? Have you had to plan for cooling one?

But hey. You just want to chuck rocks at people.

^ (1) A guy potentially watercooling 50 R9 290's is not going to radiate the heat into the room he is mining in, he's going to plumb it outside. That should be obvious. It's one of the main benefits of going to water for his household setup, other than being able to compact the entire operation. It makes the heat transfer and control way easier to put it where he wants.

(2) Data centers were originally A/C'd because the rated temperatures of the server equipment was a relatively small window. If you look at the temperature that data centers are maintained at, it has been rising over the past few years as equipment is being rated for operational use at higher temps. For GPU mining, you just need room air changes, not outright temperature control. A/C is a waste for large scale mining.

Not chucking rocks, just saying there is a lot of misinformation scattered around this thread.

ASIC for bitcoin, not litecoin type currently. I have 2 of them at 7.4 and 7.6GH/s which is ~12 gpu worth of performance per at a fraction of the power use.

it maybe making x LTC or other alt-coins per day, but the power use and of course heat output which he now want to get rid of need to be part of that equation.

Yeh the bitcoin farms are astounding in scope, considering they have custom cases full of thousands of blades pumping out 100s of GH per "rack"

There is a reason why the asic companies are quite wealthy now, not to mention the actual pools, they maybe paying out x amt per share, but because they are the pool, they keep on average 92% of the payout.

with this amount of power, you would be better to solo mine, and declock the cards to massively reduce their heat output.

I know for me, if I take my 7870 and declock it almost as low as it goes, and reduce voltage even below lowest voltage the card does on auto, it will mine at 250KH/s and never hit 34c 43% fan, if I leave it stock it does about 320KH/s 45c 62% fan, if I tune it 380KH/s 53c 75% fan, if I max speed 64c 78% fan voltages .825v, 1.118v, 1.050v, 1.175v respectively.

I couldn't even comprehend the sheer amount of power this must suck back, but I suppose when you got $ you get to play.

as far as the asic efficiency, to give an idea, most gpu will get ~300MH/s at 150w the smallest asic plugs into usb and can do 350+MH/s at 2.5w the ones I have are supposed to be 5GH/s at 35w or so, the ones I got do 7.3-7.8 depending on how I set the config file and on average use 28w of power. The biggest single unit I believe at this point was 600GH/s+ per unit ~600w. so yeh ASIC dwarf GPU hands down in regards to hashing power, cost to performance, raw heat output etc.

Like an F1 car purpose built to do what they do VERY well, but, they are a one trick pony.

if he does liquid cool it, depending on the pump and such, he can put the rad wherever he wants, like a water tank or 2 outside buried in the ground a couple feet. Air is just easier less that can go wrong, just a matter of having enough air coming in, and going out, or not even coming in, provided there is a grill on the bottom of the closet, the exhaust just has to be ample enough.

My advice would be to create a barrier using plastic sheeting around the rack and duct outside air at the bottom of the rack and hot air at the top of the rack directed to the outside.

I design data centers for a living and that's the most cost effective way to cool any IT equipment.

I've also worked in a data center, and I think rack-mounting your gear would be the best solution. Venting air in one direction is more efficient that having everything in the open.

-- I'm sure others who work in data centers can add/modify my recommendations. --
-----------------------------------
- Get a nice enclosed server rack, or two, and build a room around the backside of the rack making it as airtight as you can. Build a way to exhaust the hot air outside, a door built into the enclosure will give you access to the back for any wiring. Insulate the interior walls to help with noise and heat escaping into the cool room. Most server cases are loud.
- Choose a nice rackmount server case to put your hardware into, Supermicro makes good cases, Chenbro as well. Probably a 3U/4U case, unless you get a new motherboard, Supermicro makes 2U cases that can hold up to 6 GPU's. IstarUSA makes cases that use standard power supplies, but IMO are not as good for the money.
- Fill any unused space in the rack with blank's so proper airflow is maintained.
- Install a AC unit in the room facing the front of the rack, won't need to be a big one if you have the backside separate and vented.

Why do this?
- Server cases are specifically designed to move air from front to back, and they are very good at it.
- If properly built this will ensure all the components are properly cooled. Motherboards have hot spots, and issues can develop if no air is moving over them to cool them down.
- A good rackmount case has great serviceability and can handle many upgrades. (Make sure your case has the proper motherboard mounts.)
- No water-blocks to deal with, plus avoiding a possible disaster if you have a leak.
- A setup like this will overall save space and give you room to grow in the future.
- This is how the pro's/companies do it, and it works well if done right.

Question, is that your basement? Doesnt look like a normal living room. If that is a basement (I see pipes) why do you care about noise/heat?

I saw this post over on reddit and figured I might chime in, I dabble around in mining a little but in real life I own a machine ship and build drag racing engines for a living. In doing this I own a piece of equipment called a dynamometer that uses a water brake(water powered turbine) to measure an engines horsepower and torque. In doing so we use alot of water, some people build big heat exchangers and invest many thousands of dollars that they don't need to because they don't understand that you will pay less to simply flush the water than to use all the complicated equipment. What you would do is just plumb up the incoming water there by eliminating the need for a pump by using the city water pressure, then pass it through your blocks and then plumb it straight into the drainage. This way you will have a constant supply of cold water at a very low cost. For this amount of cards you should probably just design your own block in cad,or have someone do it for you and contract it out to somebody with a cnc. You should have no problem finding someplace to build them for you for 10 bucks a piece in a 100 lot,and that way you have extra if you want to expand or sell some. Leaks are almost always due to poor connection and connectors and because alot of the stuff offered is junk, test before you power on and you should have no problem.People drive cars and trucks that have thousands of p.s.i. and don't have fuel leaks so neither should you. I have built several one off blocks on my Bridgeport and have never had a leak. I prefer to use clear PVC tubing(buy at home depot) so that you can see the water flow, and banjo clamps. If you do decide to go with a closed circuit system why don't you consider using something actually designed for cooling like freon.For liquid, maybe glycol? I know when I was big into ham radio some guys use to use it on high output ceramic tubes. Could even have some fun with dry ice. Meziere makes good pumps but they are not designed to run 24/7. Think more along the lines of an electric fuel pump, pool pump, or even a sump pump. Maybe think abut Thermoelectric cooling also.

Last edited:
I saw this post over on reddit and figured I might chime in, I dabble around in mining a little but in real life I own a machine ship and build drag racing engines for a living. In doing this I own a piece of equipment called a dynamometer that uses a water brake(water powered turbine) to measure an engines horsepower and torque. In doing so we use alot of water, some people build big heat exchangers and invest many thousands of dollars that they don't need to because they don't understand that you will pay less to simply flush the water than to use all the complicated equipment. What you would do is just plumb up the incoming water there by eliminating the need for a pump by using the city water pressure, then pass it through your blocks and then plumb it straight into the drainage. This way you will have a constant supply of cold water at a very low cost. For this amount of cards you should probably just design your own block in cad,or have someone do it for you and contract it out to somebody with a cnc. You should have no problem finding someplace to build them for you for 10 bucks a piece in a 100 lot,and that way you have extra if you want to expand or sell some. Leaks are almost always due to poor connection and connectors and because alot of the stuff offered is junk, test before you power on and you should have no problem.People drive cars and trucks that have thousands of p.s.i. and don't have fuel leaks so neither should you. I have built several one off blocks on my Bridgeport and have never had a leak. I prefer to use clear PVC tubing(buy at home depot) so that you can see the water flow, and banjo clamps. If you do decide to go with a closed circuit system why don't you consider using something actually designed for cooling like freon.For liquid, maybe glycol? I know when I was big into ham radio some guys use to use it on high output ceramic tubes. Could even have some fun with dry ice. Meziere makes good pumps but they are not designed to run 24/7. Think more along the lines of an electric fuel pump, pool pump, or even a sump pump. Maybe think abut Thermoelectric cooling also.

This is not a good idea for PC watercooling. It is fine for what you are doing. The reason it is bad for PC watercooling comes down to the design of the waterblocks that are doing the cooling. In order to properly cool the cores, they rely upon small structures of fins to increase the cooling right on the core. Using the city water supply you will quickly clog up these structures with all of the small contaminants in that water supply, not to mention intentional contaminants like chlorine which is a corrosive. There is a reason why people use distilled water and not tap water for cooling, this is just one of them.

Thermoelectric cooling will only exacerbate his main problem, and that is the amount of heat being generated that needs to leave the room. Thermoelectric cooling will generate *more* heat than simply air cooling, you don't get something for nothing with the laws of thermodynamics!

Using glycol for coolant is a bad idea, it isn't as good at heat transfer (about 20% worse) as just water and it has a higher viscosity which lowers your flow rate and might put undue stress on your coolant pump. However, mixing in some glycol isn't a bad idea if you need it for the corrosion inhibiting and biocide. You are used to cars, they use glycol because it doesn't freeze not because it is better at heat transfer.

Back