Massive price cuts on the entire AMD lineup

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-nano-price-cuts/

Price cuts are live already

R9 Fury X: $649 down to $589 ($569 after rebate)
R9 Nano: $649 down to $569 ($549 after rebate)
R9 Fury: $549 down to $499
R9 390X: $429 down to $379 ($359 after rebate)
R9 390: $329 down to $279 ($259 after rebate)
R9 380X: Remains at $239 (oc models $259)
R9 380 4GB: $225 down to $179 ($159 after rebate)
R8 380 2GB: $199 down to $169 ($139 after rebate)

It's been mentioned elsewhere that the price cuts aren't officially from AMD... this is likely from the retailer side.

Good for AMD customers, but not so good for AMD bottom line.

depends.

if the process node is having better yields, they can afford the cuts.

Hm, NV also had a similar cut today!

Yeah, I don't think this was unplanned or a hurried response from either side. Both sides are just cutting prices on a 4-year old process node so they can clear inventory in expectation of new products in 3-6 months.

That way the parts released early next year will already have plenty of price separation.

Yes, this is definitely a clearance sale since the next gen products are going to be a lot better (at least I hope so) and its pointless to have a lot of goods in warehouses that are not likely to sell much after 14/16nm chips are out.

If anything, I`m surprised they waited this long.

I think you will start to see the basement for these cards in the near future as the X2 comes out soon. When the 290x came out, it was WAY overpriced because of the mining ops that folks had going on and retailers could sell them for a shiny penny.

Then 295x2's caemout for $1500. AMD wanted to push these cards to the masses after a while to move inventory and they allowed the retailers to chop the price to $600 in some cases. (I got my 295x2's from Newegg for $629 each.)

With the FurX2's soon to be released, it would not surprise me to see the same song being played over again. However, it also depends on how many X2's that AMD decides to make.

IMHO, the FuryX will bottom out around $499 in the next few months as they ready their 14/16nm releases next Spring/Summer.

That being said, I know I stated I was not looking to upgrade from my current setup...If I smell another deal like the ones we had last year with the 295x2's, I would bite at the FuryX2 in a Quad situation.

I got a Nano for about $430 on black friday. I have been holding back for a next gen card but I could not ignore that price. More importantly, I will not be updating various webpages each hour for the next 6-8 month waiting for next gen cards to go on sale.

Welp, that makes the 380x even less attractive. 390 is way too close a price for the extra performance it brings to bear.

Right.

The Gigabyte Fury is not dropping price, which is good, I'll wait for the 14nm cards.

I think you will start to see the basement for these cards in the near future as the X2 comes out soon. When the 290x came out, it was WAY overpriced because of the mining ops that folks had going on and retailers could sell them for a shiny penny.

Then 295x2's came out for $1500. AMD wanted to push these cards to the masses after a while to move inventory and they allowed the retailers to chop the price to $600 in some cases. (I got my 295x2's from Newegg for $629 each.)

With the FuryX2's soon to be released, it would not surprise me to see the same song being played over again. However, it also depends on how many X2's that AMD decides to make.

IMHO, the FuryX will bottom out around $499 in the next few months as they ready their 14/16nm releases next Spring/Summer.

That being said, I know I stated I was not looking to upgrade from my current setup...If I smell another deal like the ones we had last year with the 295x2's, I would bite at the FuryX2 in a Quad situation.

The mining craze was more the retailers jacking the prices than the manufacturer. It was everything; Motherboards, CPUs, Ram, GPUs, etc... Timing wise, I do agree with you though. I managed to snag 4x XFX 7990 for $654 each right after that was on the down trend in January of 2014.

Currently, the same thing is going on and perhaps even at better deals because there isn't a gigantic outside demand for the product. Newegg is currently selling Powercolor Devil 290x x2 for $629 with a $100 rebate. I want one, but it is hard to justify when the used 290x does everything I need it to do and then some. Graphics wise I don't have a need to upgrade now and am simply going to wait.

Back