Massive Music Piracy Plunge Fails to Halt Decline in Sales

Here in the US, Best Buy put music stores out of business.
Now Best Buy offers a fraction of the musical content they once did.
Walmart is a joke if you're looking for a cd.
If I want a cd, I have to ORDER IT ONLINE!
Why bother when I can just go to Google Play and get it for a fraction of the cost and listen on my tablets, phones and pcs?

Been said already, but the music industry in the US flat out sucks. We get cookie cutter band after cookie cutter band after cookie cutter band. There is no more main stream way of promoting bands like MTV and MTV2 which show nothing but reruns of reality TV programs instead of music videos.
So we turn to Youtube because there is NO OPTION to see music videos on standard cable anymore.
This evens out the playing field because the little guys can promote just as easily as the big guys on Youtube, plus people can green/ blue screen their vids and the tools are there so some amateurs can do almost as good a job as a big company filming their video.
Artists don't need the big companies to promote them anymore, they're now promoting themselves via the internet, and the big companies are bitching because they refused to adapt and now they're dying.

P.S.
Last music I paid for was off of the Play store, the Lindsey Stirling album, made by a girl America's Got Talent said was no place for her in the industry.
Grant it, Dub Step/ Violin music is REALLY different, but its something I can enjoy that's completely new the industry wouldn't have touched with a 10' pole.
Thank you Youtube for opening the floodgate for EVERY TYPE of music so we can find something we like instead of having the same old shit pushed on us.

The "industry" has been hanging its hat on tweens for the last ten years.

Newsflash: Tweens. Don't. Have. Money.

Despite all of the idiots in the media screaming about how wealthy tweens are, they aren't. Do tweens have $20K entertainment systems in their media rooms? Nope. All the music made for we gen Xers and the baby boomers is either indy or small label these days (I hate the term indy). Suck it big record labels, your bullshit is about as valid as the opinions and incomes of the tweens you thought were going to save you from your own idiocy.

^Best post in here.

Lot's of good stuff out there, you just won't hear it on "top 10" radio stations.

I really can't think of anything being produced nowadays that's worth a crap.Sugar-pop BS?
Rap?
They're not even making music anymore.
Sure ain't no Parliament Funkadelics nowadays.

In before (insert decade)'s music is so much better than today's music!1!111

Oh wait

Music quality is plunging too along with music downloading and purchase. At least the mainstream ones that we hear on radio, with those electronically synthesized music (I don't know the real term for the technique they use to create those dubstep stuff).

The last album I bought couple months ago was an indie artist. I'm sure there are more good stuff out there that I'll love, but its hard to find as they are no on the radio and I stumble upon them by chance.

Music quality is plunging too along with music downloading and purchase. At least the mainstream ones that we hear on radio, with those electronically synthesized music (I don't know the real term for the technique they use to create those dubstep stuff).

The last album I bought couple months ago was an indie artist. I'm sure there are more good stuff out there that I'll love, but its hard to find as they are no on the radio and I stumble upon them by chance.

Yeah, indie artists are hard to find.

For example, one of my favorite bands when they still made music, The Jealous Sound, was never heard on the radio at all. I found them just by happenstance in a record store selling their CDs. I've been a fan (and still am) of the group, but it's unfortunate that their music isn't heard from by a good majority of listeners.

Nowadays, I find most of the indie artists through Youtube, Bandcamp, and Soundcloud. In the past, it used to be Myspace. Y'all remember that, right?

Right, guys? *hears crickets*

Yeah, back when Myspace was more about music than trying to be a precursor to Facebook.

Just keep going through Youtube music, and I usually find them when looking for acoustic guitar performances or acoustic vocal performances-- solo and not. Like channels on a TV, I just go from one video to the next.

A lot of indie talents have very good music and it's, to me, seems like they have more freedom at singing what they want to sing when not tied or pressured by a big music label.

The "industry" has been hanging its hat on tweens for the last ten years.

Newsflash: Tweens. Don't. Have. Money.

Despite all of the idiots in the media screaming about how wealthy tweens are, they aren't. Do tweens have $20K entertainment systems in their media rooms? Nope. All the music made for we gen Xers and the baby boomers is either indy or small label these days (I hate the term indy). Suck it big record labels, your bullshit is about as valid as the opinions and incomes of the tweens you thought were going to save you from your own idiocy.

It's sort of funny perception of us older folk. Though if you look back objectively you will find each generation is a bit different but very much the same... Back when you were "into" music it was all good because you were brought up in it, your parents said pretty much the same thing you are saying now. Your kids will say the same thing to their kids as you are right now. etc etc

The Music industry for the most part has always catered to this group. Though I guess you could say the group has gotten a bit younger but its the same thing.

The Beatles... Boy band very early on. Look at any video and see the young screaming teens going nutz. Presley same thing.

I will say that the industry has gotten hyper focused on the cash... but that happens in any industry as it matures.

I buy a couple of CD's a month. I like to collect them, I ether get them from The Last Stop CD Shop or online at Amazon. Amazon's autorip is pretty sweet... buy the CD for $10 and get 220kbps MP3's instantly.

Yeah, indie artists are hard to find.

For example, one of my favorite bands when they still made music, The Jealous Sound, was never heard on the radio at all. I found them just by happenstance in a record store selling their CDs. I've been a fan (and still am) of the group, but it's unfortunate that their music isn't heard from by a good majority of listeners.

Nowadays, I find most of the indie artists through Youtube, Bandcamp, and Soundcloud. In the past, it used to be Myspace. Y'all remember that, right?

Right, guys? *hears crickets*

Yeah, back when Myspace was more about music than trying to be a precursor to Facebook.

Just keep going through Youtube music, and I usually find them when looking for acoustic guitar performances or acoustic vocal performances-- solo and not. Like channels on a TV, I just go from one video to the next.

A lot of indie talents have very good music and it's, to me, seems like they have more freedom at singing what they want to sing when not tied or pressured by a big music label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AS6AA6Pe2lo#t=55

Back