Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones EDIT: SOLD OUT

doug_7506

2[H]4U
These sold for $199 last time and sold out very quickly. Rumors are they might come back at a higher price.

Their website says "Coming Soon" but on my phone, it says 4 days.

link

side deal. Massdrop Minimic (ModMic challenger) for 24.99.

Make you pretty much the best set of gaming headphones possible.

EDIT:
Here's some definitive info - the email that I received from Massdrop says they will be available on Monday, 6AM PT for $249.99 and will be limited to 7,500 units.

EDIT EDIT:
Price BACK to $199. 11,500 units available.

Last edited:
Here's some definitive info - the email that I received from Massdrop says they will be available on Monday, 6AM PT for $249.99 and will be limited to 7,500 units.

A disclaimer on these: Massdrop is saying they won't ship until Christmas.

Eh at $199 I wouldn't hesitate but $249 is an okay deal.

What a bummer. I've been waiting on these since last time. Unfortunately, that $50 makes a huge difference. Not sure they will make me replace my akg 7xx at that price.

@ 250 these are just not that good of deal. Id rather just spend the 280-300 to buy off amazon and have them 4 months sooner.

If you want these you better be up at 6AM sharp...

I wonder how well they'll sell.

I'm still on the fence. My headphone collections is already pretty good.
AKG 7xx my work phones
Crossfade 2 wireless gym/mobile
Sennheiser HD 598 with vmoda boom for gaming/listening.

At $199.99 like they were originally it was a banging deal. You can find HD 650's consistently for $300 and sometimes even less if your patient, @$250 and delivery not until christmas, I'd take my chances on finding a good deal on 650's.

This is not hot, it's not even a great gaming headphone. For music though, especially modded these are great.

@ 250 these are just not that good of deal. Id rather just spend the 280-300 to buy off amazon and have them 4 months sooner.
Surprise surprise. Massdrop has priced an item too high to make it worth it. I wouldn't be surprised to see shipping was another 5-7 bucks making this even less of a deal.

I stopped looking at Massdrop months ago. They started selling stuff at basically market value, then charging shipping, then taking months to ship out.

Make you pretty much the best set of gaming headphones possible.

As an owner of HD 558, 598, 600 (and temporarily the HD650), I can tell you that this is false. Compared to the 600 series, the 598s are superior for gaming when it comes to positional audio. Even though the 600s are my everyday set for music & video, I still occasionally go back to the 598s when I play superseriousFPS.

Yeah everything I've read about the 650 seems to say it's more of an in your head sound, which for positional audio is not what you want. But of course otherwise a stellar set of cans that everyone seems to want.

HE560 planars were on sale at Walmart for $399....and the 400i is usually on sale for $250. 400i was my favorite all around headphone until I got the 560.

Yeah posted it a few days ago. Not sure if it's still there. Legit deal, I got mine.

Almost 2.5 hours in and over 1/3 of them have sold out.

I agree that a lot of the drops in general are crappy but occasionally there are some decent deals to be found. I can't stand the ones where the product ends up being within $1-$5 of Amazon and you have to wait a month to get it, vs. 2 days.

It's from an uncertified third party seller

It is. I was hesitant until I saw people getting theirs. People on Reddit and at Head-Fi have gotten their orders and it arrived pretty quickly for free (although the tracking did not update). Looks like a totally online outfit that used to have a brick and mortar store in Brooklyn. They sell USB cables on Amazon now. (??)

Been using it now for a week pretty heavily, no complaints. Looks brand new, it is the updated version with the non-sucky 2.5mm connectors. Sounds excellent--better than my 400i--so I'm 99.9% sure it's not some fake knock off. I got the walmart extended warranty just in case.

Oh, and I also joined this drop... yeah I have problems.

yeah still only 3800 sold. Looks like the rate increase got them. However, i'm sure it'll still sell out in a few days.

If anyone wants a better deal I've got a minty pair of 400i for the first 6XX drop price :p

I just got an email that the price is now 199 again. Good deal? I already have 555's. Not sure if need...

yeah i got that email too. still, they aren't shipping until the end of the year,

Somehow I cant stand my HD598 being on my head anymore, it feels like its squeezing me. but i thought they were comfortable when i bought them a year or two ago, so im thinking about getting these...

Price drop is pretty effin great. I have a brand new HE560 that I am happy to play with exclusively until these arrive in December so the wait is meaningless to me...

Ships in six months, but charges now??? - no thanks.

You'll see deals for close to that several times over on slickdeals for maybe $50 more and delivery in a few days.

That's some BS. Massdrop and Sennheiser have six months to play with 1.5 million dollars in the investment vehicles of their choice.

Well they somehow added 4,000 more to their 7,500 to be 11,500 too, and extended it from ending in a few hours to two more days.

I'm thinking about trying to fix my old headphones (Ath AD-900x, ath-ad700) with soldering but ive never soldered before (can only hear out of one cup). or/and putting foam on my HD598 so it isnt uncomfortable AF. still, $200 is a pretty good deal on these i guess..... decisions decisions.

Yup bought it.. and I am going to try to forget about it.. until santas fat ass drops it off... :D

Currently using ATH-AD700 at home and ATH-A900x at work; just bought this to replace the AD700s.

The shipping is a little ridiculous, but I don't mind waiting all that much.

Luckily I already have the Xonar Essence STX to drive it.

Currently using ATH-AD700 at home and ATH-A900x at work; just bought this to replace the AD700s.

The shipping is a little ridiculous, but I don't mind waiting all that much.

Luckily I already have the Xonar Essence STX to drive it.

I wouldn't mind waiting if they didn't bill six months before they ship. That's rubbish. Sennheiser knows they can sell these (probably quadrouple the count.) Why should the consumer float the manufactorers account for six months.

Rubbish I tell you.

I mentioned this to my brother, he laughed and said he might be dead in six months.

Reactions: Knuit
like this
You guys would really hate the process of buying a firearm suppressor. Imagine dropping a grand and waiting a year in limbo, since you're not even guaranteed to get it (you submit an application to the government which can be approved or denied). I'm still waiting on mine from last July. I should buy these headphones and see which I get first :p

I've bought from Massdrop before but this seems shady. Originally they claimed only 7,500 units were being made/sold, now with the price drop suddenly it's 11,500. I guess the 6 month lead time is because they have to actually manufacture them? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was half joking about that last part but apparently that is actually true. o_O

Do they actually charge your card when the drop ends? Or is it charged when they ship out?

At $199.99 like they were originally it was a banging deal. You can find HD 650's consistently for $300 and sometimes even less if your patient, @$250 and delivery not until christmas, I'd take my chances on finding a good deal on 650's.

So they dropped the price back to $199.

We’re adding another drop point at 5,000 orders, at which point the drop will revert to match the pricing of the first drop back in November. This means that the drop will be $199.99 with free shipping to the US and $15 shipping per unit internationally. We’ll be sending an email update to members who have already joined the drop. All existing drop participants will be charged the new price of $199.99 and not $249.99.
I know I’ve said in prior posts that there won’t be a price change, so I owe everyone the story of what we’ve been working on behind the scenes. From the start of the drop, the team here and I have been collecting the feedback from the community, seen through both the comments in the discussion and, more importantly, the performance of the drop. Not all feedback is vocal and the choice to participate (or not) in any drop provides crucial information both to us and to collaborators like Sennheiser. At the end of the first day, we collected all the performance metrics and community comments from the drop and sent them to Sennheiser.
Since then, we’ve been on multiple calls with our partners at Sennheiser, who have been very gracious and are blown away by the passion of the community. To show their appreciation for the support, they’ve chosen to forgo their margin requirements on this product and will offer it at the original launch pricing once the drop reaches 5,000 units. Additionally, they’ve taken the feedback about limits per person into account and have agreed to increase it. Each member can now purchase up to three (3) HD 6XXs.

Dammit. Now I am tempted again....

Current setup:
Gaming/home listening: HD598s with v-moda mod mic
GYM/Travel: V-moda Crossfade 2 wireless
Office: AKG 7XX

I'm thinking about using these for home listening, but I feel like I'm getting carried away with headphones.. lol

I bought at 199

I've had 598, 600, and 650. Liked them all, might as well try these

I'm in aswell . Have the SoundBlaster X7 to pair with these. Can't wait.

Back