Mass Ripping Movies - Advice Needed

FireBean

Gawd
Hello All!

I just got done setting up my new OpenELEC HTPC to a 4K TV :D and a new NAS Box. I'm going to now start the long tedious process of ripping all my DVDs and Blurays. I cannot seem the find the right software to do this though so I'm looking for your help. I got 4x BR Drives (borrowed from 4 different friends :p) hooked up and ready to go.

Requirements:

1. Quality is Paramount - I would like to use MKV Containers encoded with x265(For Size) and FLAC for Audio
  2. Has to be Wife Friendly. Just pop the disc and and it goes to work. Ejects when done to let her (or me) know when it is hungry for another.
  3. I have to be able to save to a CIFS/SMB Share automaticly. If needed, we can save to an onboard HDD, then use a program to move the data to the share afterwards
  4. Distributed Computing. I have a server that sits with my NAS. It's a e3-1225v1. Would like to be able to use Quick-Sync if Possible.

I already own a License to anyDVD HD and purchasing more software is totally acceptable.

So I really need the community's help here. My WAF is sitting pretty slow and I would like to redeem myself with something cool like this. She loves her movies!

and for Legal's Sake... THIS IS FOR PERSONAL USE.

is x265 mature yet, from the past reviews it is about the same as x264 right now with little gains.

I would roll with x264 for now..
subbed for..I did it once,wasted 5 disks..and can't remember how it works :)
actually was just copying a concert dvd/cd..it was really fail :(
The colors were all over-saturated.

Firstly, it is still illegal in the United States to rip movies you own, even for personal use, if the ripping requires circumventing and DRM (and it almost always does).

Second, if quality is paramount then you should just rip to the 1:1 ISO.... This means zero quality degradation.

Or AnyDVDHD. Then use Handbrake, but this is not an automated process. You have to select quality, etc (you can make presets though) and then name the file, select audio/video/sub streams to put into it, etc. And you will absolutely want as much CPU horsepower as you can. No Quicksync, while it will process faster, you will rape quality.

dvd drecrypter

worked the best for me.

then ran it through handbrake.

That is what I did recently. I was only doing 6 DVD's and I was glad when I was done.
too monotonous. A totally automated process like the OP wants would be nice.

dvd-ripping-encoding.jpg

That is what I did recently. I was only doing 6 DVD's and I was glad when I was done.
too monotonous. A totally automated process like the OP wants would be nice.

http://transamws6.com/pics/pc/2010/dvd-ripping-encoding.jpg

Only six? A cakewalk. I had over a hundred to do (quite a few of which were Blu-ray, multiply process time tenfold each), and then a friend of mine wanted me to rip his collection, over 250, luckily all DVD. I bought an i7-970 (six core) and overclocked it to 4.2GHz, could rip a normal 90-minute DVD in around 7 minutes, file size around a gigabyte to 1.5.

Surely you've heard of makemkv?

This program best for bluray backups . Will let you rip what you want of this disk with out losing any quality at all. I just grab the video and best sound track. Usally takes a 41g movie down to 22ish gigs. Just taking the extra crap off.

This program best for bluray backups . Will let you rip what you want of this disk with out losing any quality at all. I just grab the video and best sound track. Usally takes a 41g movie down to 22ish gigs. Just taking the extra crap off.

Fantastic piece of software. Like you say, you are getting a true 1:1 rip of the audio and video.

Obviously you will need lots of storage space (I have 46TB (23TB usable))

Last edited:
Fantastic piece of software. Like you say, you are getting a true 1:1 rip of the audio and video.

Obviously you will need lots of storage space (I have 46TB (23TB usable))

Holy crap lol I thought I was doing good with 13tb..I'm at around 320 blu-ray's and still have like 4-5tb free.. Still have 6 hot swap slots free in my server so more then enough room to upgrade//

The problem that I have with all of these soultions is that I cannot just pop the disk in and let it go to work. I have to jack with it everytime.

Both MakeMKV and DVDFab used to have a way to do this. Scripts for DVDFab were removed for some freaking reason and MakeMVK did have someone write a companion program called AutoRip but they no longer work.

If you want the best 1:1 rip with the least space and easiest play back makemkv is still your best program. Might take a little longer about 15 minutes a movie but it's worth it. Yes you have to pick the movie and sound track. I just did 50 movies the other day with a single blu ray drive. It sucks but it's the best way. If your playing back on a 4k tv I would think you would want the best rips you could get. I play back on a 120 inch screen and I can tell when there is the smallest amount of compression .

Holy crap lol I thought I was doing good with 13tb..I'm at around 320 blu-ray's and still have like 4-5tb free.. Still have 6 hot swap slots free in my server so more then enough room to upgrade//

I'm patiently waiting for the Seagate 8TB Archive drives to drop. :)

Alright, TY everyone. Looks like I'll be using MakeMKV and just have to teach the wife.

I just try to make a backup of a movie. MakeMKV doesn't seems to work. I know DVDFab does work, but I don't have that software.

And how exactly does AnyDVDHD works? After you run AnyDVDHD, exactly what do you do then? because AnyDVDHD is not a file copy software.

AnyDVD-HD just does live decryption of the contents on the media (Blu-ray, DVD, or even HD DVD). After that any tools like HandBrake or whatever you use will then be able to access the content and do whatever you're planning to do (rip, encode, etc). That's all it does: live decryption of the content on the media, nothing more. Well, it can be used to rip to a storage device also meaning you can copy the decrypted contents to a hard drive/etc for processing at a later time.

The most efficient workflow is usually:

- use AnyDVD-HD or something similar (there are other tools that do the same thing) to rip the contents of the media to the hard drive
- do that again and again for as much media or however many movies you have and can safely store on the hard drive
- then use a tool like HandBrake to batch encode a bunch of those movies at one time meaning you queue up the encodes one at a time (with appropriate settings for each movie if necessary) then when they're all queued up you simply let HandBrake run

There are three basic ends to this whole ripping movies process:

1) full original quality without re-encoding anything - this takes the least amount of time and you'd use something like MakeMKV which will rip the contents of the media into an MKV file, the default settings for MakeMKV rip everything into the MKV (all the video streams, audio streams, captions/subtitles, everything) - AnyDVD-HD isn't required with this method since MakeMKV already handles decryption when required - this method also takes the most space since it's a 1:1 copy of the media content to the hard drive

2) outstanding visual quality with re-encoding - this takes considerably more time overall because it requires either a) AnyDVD-HD to do the live decryption and then you can feed the content directly to HandBrake or some other solution one at a time, or b) AnyDVD-HD to rip to the hard drive (multiple discs in a row) and then feeding the content to HandBrake in a batch format where you queue up the individual disc content once it's ripped to the hard drive - this method does require a lot of hard drive space to hold all the copied discs while they're being processed (in the batch method) as well as the encoded files you're creating - doing a really HQ x264 encode of DVD content isn't that difficult since SD content is low resolution and not a big hassle, but doing a good HQ encode of a Blu-ray can take hours per disc depending on the encoding settings - the end result with this method is you have a single file, typically MKV, and it contains the video stream(s), audio stream(s), and whatever else you care to keep while having a much smaller file size. When a full movie on a Blu-ray can be 40GB in size an HQ rip/encode of it using x264 can give you damned near transparent quality aka it looks exactly the same while being 8-12GB in size so 3-4x smaller, or even less

3) good to acceptable quality with the fastest speed - if you have an Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell processor you may be able to take advantage of Intel Quick Sync technology which allows for some incredibly high speed encoding of video content using x264 (a slightly modified version that doesn't do precisely everything that x264 is capable of) but the quality suffers compared to the full blown x264 in some respects - the latest processors (Haswell) work with the latest version of the Intel Quick Sync SDK which allows for better quality using Quick Sync than previous versions (for Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPUs) - Quick Sync can provide very acceptable levels of visual quality with some artifacting depending on the encode settings but it does this at crazy fast speeds in excess of 250+ frames per second if your CPU supports it - HandBrake does have native Quick Sync encoding support nowadays as well - using Quick Sync on my i5-2540m laptop I can encode a 2 hour DVD in about 8-10 mins and that's live encoding straight off the media - I don't own Blu-ray content at all so I can't speak for any time estimates but again, compared to x264 encoding using Quick Sync is like a tortoise vs a hare in many respects

x265 will be the "standard" years from now (for the h.265 format) but it's just not mature right now. Yes there are people using it but it requires a shitload of processing power to create such encodes, vastly more than x264 does. A typical HQ x264 encode that takes 2 hours could take 6-8 to get the same results in x265, and yes the files do tend to be smaller but the tradeoff is taking 4x or longer to create them and when it comes to playback there's really nothing that does hardware h.265 decoding presently.

In time that will change but for the moment, x264 is the recommended encoder if quality is a concern for you in terms of visuals.

I use AnyDVD HD in conjunction with Clown_BD and mkvmerge even though it requires more steps. I can make sure that forced subtitles are working correctly this way and label each stream appropriately.

what about a good blu-ray backup software other than dvdFab?

AnyDVD-HD would work with that easily. Regardless of what software you choose, it'll have to support decryption regardless because that's the only way you can open the content on the media for reading, even if your intention is simply to copy the data to another disc or to a storage device.

If you're serious about backups and whatever, AnyDVD-HD is worth the cost even in spite of it being more expensive than competing products.

I can't figure out how to use AnyDVD-HD. It's as simple as that. It's not user friendly.

After I run the software, I thought I can use software like windows explorer to copy the blu-ray to the SSD, but the protection still exists. So either it can't remove the protection, in which I seriously doubt that because it's an old blu-ray, or I don't know how to use the software.

My step by step is:

1) run anyDVD-HD
2) Use Windows Explorer to copy the entire dir under BDMV to my SSD

then 1/2 way thru, error shows up that won't allow me to copy

Right click on the AnyDVD icon in your taskbar (if it's running). It will give you the options to rip the disk to your hard drive via BDMV folders or ISO. It decrypts the disk in this process. If you're simply copying the BD files with windows explorer while the AnyDVD options screen is up; you're not using AnyDVD.

Right click on the AnyDVD icon in your taskbar (if it's running). It will give you the options to rip the disk to your hard drive via BDMV folders or ISO. It decrypts the disk in this process. If you're simply copying the BD files with windows explorer while the AnyDVD options screen is up; you're not using AnyDVD.

True, but AnyDVD has still decrypted the disc. Mine decrypts as soon as the disc is put in (provided AnyDVD is enabled in the system tray).

Make MKV + Handbrake.

Rip a buch of movies and then queue them up using handbrake and let it goto town.

In the end, trying AnyDVDHD once, on Blu-ray Aliens 2, it cannot decrypted the disc. It "says" that it removes all those....., but I keep getting error reading sectors. Trying it twice.

There is only 1 small scratch on the Blu-ray surface, it is somewhat possible the drive can't read it, but I doubt it.

does error reading sector means it's the protection that kicks in or it's the disc scratch?

It could be due to a scratch, but sometimes you get a bad disc or your BD drive is faulty/dying or has read issues. I ordered a BD from Amazon a few months back that would not read on 3 different BD drives; it had no scratches. Got a replacement of the same movie from Amazon that worked perfectly. I also have the complete series of Weeds and Dexter, and I've had a couple of random discs in the series that do not read properly while the rest of them do.

I would test with MakeMKV to see if you have any success, or use another BD drive (if you have one). I doubt Aliens 2 is using disc encryption that has not been broken by SlySoft or MakeMKV.

A lot of Blu-ray players had issues with the Alien movies when they were released. Most issues have been fixed via firmware.

In the end, trying AnyDVDHD once, on Blu-ray Aliens 2, it cannot decrypted the disc. It "says" that it removes all those....., but I keep getting error reading sectors. Trying it twice.

There is only 1 small scratch on the Blu-ray surface, it is somewhat possible the drive can't read it, but I doubt it.

does error reading sector means it's the protection that kicks in or it's the disc scratch?

What Megalith said. Update your drive firmware, and make sure you are using the latest release of AnyDVD HD

Plus one for AnyDVD-HD and MakeMKV. I rip with AnyDVD-HD and turn into a 1:1 h.264 in a MKV container with MakeMKV for years.

I just went though ripping 200+ BD's uing a combo of AnyDVD and MakeMKV. MakeMKV worked for all but 5 of the BD's. Just displayed read errors for the disc.

I installed AnyDVD for the remaining five and while two copied to an ISO, the remaining 3 weren't read. They work fine in my BD player so it is an issue with a few discs.

I've ripped some 300 Blu Rays in the past two years or so. I can say for certain that one small scratch can absolutely cause ripping to fail.

Blu Rays seem to be more sensitive to small scratches. Why? No idea, but DVDs can still be ripped even though they are trashed while BDs need to have a near perfect surface.

Oh, and AnyDVD will rip Aliens. There's no special DRM on it that will prevent ripping. I know this as I did it myself not too long ago.

I just recently ripped about 1,100 Blu-ray .iso images using AnyDVD HD, and imgburn. It took me a few weeks. Make sure your BD readers are not drive locked. If they are unlock them, or they will read slower. I used four BD drives. Two SATA, and two USB (All LG drives) concurrently ripping straight into the NAS. Each movie in its own separate folders. They are stored in my new 8 bay DS1851+ Synology NAS in RAID 5. Takes up almost 40TB. I still have 2 bays left open. I can later load up the .iso and make any format I want. That is the best way to do it.

I use a Dune Smart HD1 for .iso playback, with full menus via NFS. Later I hope to migrate to a high end QNAP, and try out KODI .iso playback natively via its integrated HDMI.

Last edited:
Back