"Mass" Fraud Reported by WCCFTech on Ryzen CPU Returns at Amazon

Seems to me the return process worked for you. Not sure you can expect a company that sells millions of products to be able to spot forgeries in every one. Best you can do is make it easy to exchange or refund when a problem comes up and investigate any outliers with help from the vendor. In my experience, Amazon does just that.

Amazon purchases are as hassle-free as they get. Three clicks and you have a shipping label. You can wait 30 days to file your return and then get 30 more days to send back after you file. The one time I couldn't complete a return process (some issue with the website) they let me keep the product and issued a refund. All I did was ask them "why can't I return this item?".

I admit this all sounds like an advertisement. All I can add is that I'm still skeptical of the company as a whole. I'm not sure their growing market power is good for consumers in the long run. I'm not sure, outside antitrust action, it's avoidable either. But I can't fault their return process. It's the gold standard for e-commerce.

Matter of opinion, for me the return went smoothly, but the fact that they somehow seem to bundle new stock in with returns is just incredibly stupid to say the least. Potentially paying NEW prices for second hand items isn't on, and going by this thread its pretty common to say the least that they are sending out returns as NEW products.

I bought a fake 486-sx33 back in the day, I took it back and the company swapped it no problems asked. I can't remember how I discover it. So there has always been scammers.

More likely, it's the return department. I've had to deal with people who have purchased directly from Amazon, and the serial number shows up in our system as a different person who called in with a problem, who returned to Amazon. The new customer is experiencing the exact same problem as the first customer. It appears Amazon's returns department doesn't do much verification of returns, and simply restocks "as new" many returns.
Incompetent/Lazy workforce enforcement of return policies makes more sense than conspiracy and 'fake CPU crime ring' really.

But that existing ship to address is enough for the police to track down the fraud perp. This of course assumes Amazon cares enough to be aggressive against the fraudsters. From what it seems is that Amazon is extremely permissive to all kind of sellers, many of which are running blatant scams. The photos of the product and actual item do NOT even match, and Amazon doesn't do much other then allow buyers to return the stuff, which of course has to be gold standard to protect the buyers. However the problems of the scammers remain. It would be particularly bad if Amazon have scammers working as their employees which would significantly increase their operational costs. The question is how much money is Amazon making such that they are willing to absorb these costs. But to the buyer who got the counterfeit, it is a massive hassle.

Return was inspected and accepted, good luck to Amazon trying to get any legal action on that end, because not only did they accept the part back, but shipped it to someone else and would have to prove that the second buyer didn't just make a false claim. In other words, nothing will happen because they have almost no legal standing after accepting the item back as good.

I used to snag open box items from "amazon warehouse deals" pretty regularly, but in the past month I've had a rash of pretty obvious fraudulent returns. Most recently I ordered a "Like New" Pioneer xdp-100r and while it was visually perfect someone had managed to mangle both microSD slots (not even sure how they did this) leaving it basically useless. I'm amazed anyone does this, return fraud is a thing, and it's not like Amazon doesn't know who returned it.

And to the comment about cash returns at BB - they scan your drivers license now (at least the last time I returned something they did).

Microcenter price matches pretty much everywhere if you talk to a sales associate. You can even just look it up at the store.

What Microcenter does well though is that they sell CPU's generally cheaper than online, and with an additional discount if you buy a Motherboard too. So that gets you in the store, then you either buy the rest of the components there (to build immediately) or you order the rest online.

The real savings by not shopping at Microcenter is basically tax.

CPUs are pretty much the only thing I buy at Microcenter. Sometimes, the ssds are cheaper. Outside of that, they generally don't sell Asus workstation boards (like the ROG boards sans the RBG trash and generally has xeon support with the exception of the z170-ws and z270-ws), so I generally don't buy motherboards from them. I did buy the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, but I may ebay it and get the Asus ROG Strix X370-F, which I found on Newegg. I-75's northbound traffic is terrible (is I-75 ever not busy?), so I generally would rather wait for shipping than to drive to the Madison Heights location.

I agree, Microcenter is totally the way to go for CPU's if you're buying a motherboard too. Their bundle deals are tough to beat, even if I do have to pay sales tax. But the pricing on the rest of their stuff is really hit or miss. Some good deals and some stuff is priced so high you just bust out laughing ( ie - cases that are NOT on sale are like 20% above MSRP for some reason).

Yeah, video cards are prices pretty high too. Some things online are also all over the map depending where you look. I was saying that overall Microcenter is reasonably priced to compete for a B&M store, something you rarely see these days. In our area it's pretty much the only real computer store with parts but prices are generally reasonable at least I don't feel like bringing a bottle of lube along when I go there. There are always lots of people in the store so it speaks something. I rarely say this but as a business they are the good guys and at least trying to be fair. Actually Amazon has been fucking up too many of my orders lately so I've been buying more stuff from local stores even if it costs a bit more, at least you get the right item the first time and you know exactly what it is.

Back