Mass Effect

Shinryu

Limp Gawd
I just recently watched some new vids for Mass Effect. And seriously Bioware have done it again in making a game that has deep dialogue as well as good gameplay, anyone else interested in this game? I have been for years and this is most def the game I am looking forward too.

Very much looking forward to it. Going to be one of my highlights of the year.

Had a 360 for a year and a half now and never actually bought a game for it. Just Gamefly and local rentals. But I am buying Mass Effect.

I dont get the excitement for this I guess. I watched some videos and I'm not into the story... and the gameplay looked very dry. Run and shoot, drive and shoot... etc.

I dont get the excitement for this I guess. I watched some videos and I'm not into the story... and the gameplay looked very dry. Run and shoot, drive and shoot... etc.
You've just described 95% of the games coming out this year. :p

Alot of games are trying to push graphics, but they seem to be going backwards with interaction and story and playability

I can't wait for this game. I <3 Bioware.

As for it coming to the PC, i doubt it will be anytime soon. Aren't they working on something for the PC called Dragon Age?

This game is by far the most anticipated game on my list for any system, pc, etc. Ive even bought the fiction book that is out thats a prequel to the storyline because i just cant wait. BTW, its a really easy, but great read if your interested in the background story/universe.

This game looks like it's going to be amazing. I just hope the story sucks me in, I'm definitely picking it up.

According to the FAQ's thread on the Mass Effect forum (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=489430&forum=104)
They are not working on nor have plans to start making a PC version.

6. Will Mass Effect be coming to the PC?

Chris Priestly: Mass Effect is planned as an Xbox 360 exclusive title. This means we are not working on a PC version and have no plans to start making one.

7. Why on Earth did you choose to make this game on Xbox 360 and not on my [insert your favourite platform here]?

Bob McCabe: We chose 360 because we have a really great relationship with Microsoft and find that they're constantly pushing us to develop the best products we're capable of.

Plus, we've worked with them before and have built up a nice rapport.

And then there's the fact that they've kept us up-to-date with their vision for the 360 since the beginning, and they've supplied us with alpha versions and beta versions of their console along the way. It's really helped us learn the intricacies of the unit, and feel ready to bring our game to their system.

I'm pumped for this game too. Even bough and read the prequel book. I cant wait for November 20th good thing I have bioshock and will have halo 3 to hold me over.

Alot of games are trying to push graphics, but they seem to be going backwards with interaction and story and playability

You're kidding, right? They already have a novel out. If that isn't story, I don't know what is. Bioware has always been strong on story. It's an RPG, not a twitch-shooter, so I expect a rich story. Interaction is debatable, but I'd say being able to carry on conversations in which your actions and replies carry weight in the overarching storyline is a nice place to start.

Playability is also relative, but from what I've seen ordering squadmates, using weapons, vehicles and some kind of mental abilities seems like they're trying to offer up a lot of playability. Compare that to a game like Gears of War (which I love) which you do only 1/2 of that. :p

Let's add in that "alot of games" such as Bioshock and Halo 3 are doing major things as well, and I'm not sure wtf you're even talking about.

If you're going to offer an opinion, at least back it up with some statements. Otherwise it just comes off as hater-itis.

I wouldn't call myself a huge rpg fan...but bioware has never let me down and I don't expect Mass Effect to be any different.:cool:

You're kidding, right? They already have a novel out. If that isn't story, I don't know what is. Bioware has always been strong on story. It's an RPG, not a twitch-shooter, so I expect a rich story. Interaction is debatable, but I'd say being able to carry on conversations in which your actions and replies carry weight in the overarching storyline is a nice place to start.

Playability is also relative, but from what I've seen ordering squadmates, using weapons, vehicles and some kind of mental abilities seems like they're trying to offer up a lot of playability. Compare that to a game like Gears of War (which I love) which you do only 1/2 of that. :p

Let's add in that "alot of games" such as Bioshock and Halo 3 are doing major things as well, and I'm not sure wtf you're even talking about.

If you're going to offer an opinion, at least back it up with some statements. Otherwise it just comes off as hater-itis.

Yeah supposedly they have a second novel in the works already. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to both be out before the game gets here.

Heres the first
http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-R...5374844?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188575269&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
According to the FAQ's thread on the Mass Effect forum (http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=489430&forum=104)
They are not working on nor have plans to start making a PC version.

You do realize they are just saying that to cover their own asses? This way people will buy Mass Effect on 360 now, and then double dip when a PC "Special Edition" comes out down the line.

Just like for Jade Empire. And Gears of War. And Viva Pinata. Halo 1 / 2. You get the picture.

It's almost a guarantee they are working on a PC version, espicially with Microsoft's big Games for Windows push... don't be surprised if this isn't announced sometime in 2008 to be hitting the PC.

I also don't think Bioware is going to leave it's PC fans out in the cold, and isn't MS publishing this? That's a sure sign it'll come to the PC if sales / fan reaction are good.

You do realize they are just saying that to cover their own asses? This way people will buy Mass Effect on 360 now, and then double dip when a PC "Special Edition" comes out down the line.

Just like for Jade Empire. And Gears of War. And Viva Pinata. Halo 1 / 2. You get the picture.

It's almost a guarantee they are working on a PC version, espicially with Microsoft's big Games for Windows push... don't be surprised if this isn't announced sometime in 2008 to be hitting the PC.

I also don't think Bioware is going to leave it's PC fans out in the cold, and isn't MS publishing this? That's a sure sign it'll come to the PC if sales / fan reaction are good.

I'm sure it will end up on the PC at some point. I'm also sure that by the time it does (Bob McCabe says this too), 360 users will be playing ME2 or even 3 (3 is a stretch)..

my comment wasnt pointed towards Mass effect, and my main point was lack of interactivity, it continued from my point of mass effect being my most anticipated game in a long time, yes bioshock and halo 3 are good games, but they do still lack interactivity and really push you through a single story without giving any choices, and what exactly is halo 3 doing majorly that already hasnt been done aside from graphics? perfect dark had the large multiplayer theres a dozen online multplayer games, the story? yea the story is very good, but as I said games lack interactivity. I have bioshock and as much as I love it, its pretty pointless going back to the old areas because all that happens is mobs respawn and utter the same talk all the other mobs say and have big daddies roaming the halls knockin every little sister tunnel becuase I saved em all lol. Not exactly much to do in teh interaction sence is there, unlike lets say baldurs gate, where you can go back to amn and you would get a man walk up to you with a letter from one character you met earlier in tehj game to meet you in the inn in the slums discrict. I can go on all day about what I mean, no ill intentions to any games that you spoke of, just merly pointin out that alot of games need to be more like mass efffect :) and yes there is also a novel for the spartian project as well for halo.

my comment wasnt pointed towards Mass effect, and my main point was lack of interactivity, it continued from my point of mass effect being my most anticipated game in a long time, yes bioshock and halo 3 are good games, but they do still lack interactivity and really push you through a single story without giving any choices, and what exactly is halo 3 doing majorly that already hasnt been done aside from graphics? perfect dark had the large multiplayer theres a dozen online multplayer games, the story? yea the story is very good, but as I said games lack interactivity. I have bioshock and as much as I love it, its pretty pointless going back to the old areas because all that happens is mobs respawn and utter the same talk all the other mobs say and have big daddies roaming the halls knockin every little sister tunnel becuase I saved em all lol. Not exactly much to do in teh interaction sence is there, unlike lets say baldurs gate, where you can go back to amn and you would get a man walk up to you with a letter from one character you met earlier in tehj game to meet you in the inn in the slums discrict. I can go on all day about what I mean, no ill intentions to any games that you spoke of, just merly pointin out that alot of games need to be more like mass efffect :) and yes there is also a novel for the spartian project as well for halo.

Damn all these media people trying to tell me how the story should go! I hate Peter Jackson forever for not letting me interact with Lord of the Rings and have Frodo eaten by an orc. Why couldn't George Lucas let me take control of Yoda and wtfpwn Anakin before he became Darth Vader. This lack of interactivity is eating away!

/sarcasm

Games, just like movies, often have an artistic vision. They want to tell a story in the same way a movie does. Interactivity allowing the player to change the story does not fit with most games. Most games want to tell the story they have laid out. Complaining about the lack of interactivity with the story in most games is simply asinine.

I can't wait for Mass Effect BTW, #1 on my list of upcoming games followed by Assassins Creed.

Damn all these media people trying to tell me how the story should go! I hate Peter Jackson forever for not letting me interact with Lord of the Rings and have Frodo eaten by an orc. Why couldn't George Lucas let me take control of Yoda and wtfpwn Anakin before he became Darth Vader. This lack of interactivity is eating away!

/sarcasm

Games, just like movies, often have an artistic vision. They want to tell a story in the same way a movie does. Interactivity allowing the player to change the story does not fit with most games. Most games want to tell the story they have laid out. Complaining about the lack of interactivity with the story in most games is simply asinine.

I can't wait for Mass Effect BTW, #1 on my list of upcoming games followed by Assassins Creed.

first your sarcastic comment was just stupid, wasnt funny at all just stupid, secondly I know people on this forum can agree 95% of games seriously lack at the moment, someone may reply to this and go "what about metroid, halo, etc etc" against the 100 other games that came otu and suck, cant a guy just say games lack without one moron or another try and take the piss. And as much as I do agree with you about games being like movies, I didnt say why games have a lack interactivity I just they do lack it, and they do.

Is the Mass Effect novel worth reading? Bioware makes great games :D

It was a really quick read. Its definantly not going to win any awards but its easy to read and sets up the story a bit. It was worth the 5-6 hours for me but I read quite a bit anyway.

This is the game that really made me pull the trigger on a 360 back when those first early e3 videos were out. I have very high hopes for this.

Back