Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster

ME1 could certainly use it, although I assume if they do one they will do them all. ME1 could use some minor updates in general. Change up the inventory and upgrade system to be more like ME3. Not exactly like it, but closer. It was absolutely a weak spot for the first game. Maybe update the cinematic camera angles and whatnot to feel more like 2/3.

Wonder if it will be Frostbite or UE4.

ME1 could certainly use it, although I assume if they do one they will do them all. ME1 could use some minor updates in general. Change up the inventory and upgrade system to be more like ME3. Not exactly like it, but closer. It was absolutely a weak spot for the first game. Maybe update the cinematic camera angles and whatnot to feel more like 2/3.

Wonder if it will be Frostbite or UE4.
Good points about ME1. Also I think updating the mako missons to be more enjoyable. I really like the idea of them and I think when I first played the game I was amazed by them. "omg I can explore the planet!" is what comes to mind what I was thinking. However upon replaying them, they are rather generic due to how copy and paste they are. Update them so its not so copy and paste (probably won't happen due to cost) but would be really nice improvement for the exploration side of the game if they did anything to them.

Good points about ME1. Also I think updating the mako missons to be more enjoyable. I really like the idea of them and I think when I first played the game I was amazed by them. "omg I can explore the planet!" is what comes to mind what I was thinking. However upon replaying them, they are rather generic due to how copy and paste they are. Update them so its not so copy and paste (probably won't happen due to cost) but would be really nice improvement for the exploration side of the game if they did anything to them.

I thought the Mako was okay, but it has been a while since I played it. I can see it needing a bit of an update. People didn't like the controls but I never had an issue with them.

The remake would definitely have to do something about the Mako. I quit ME1 because of the Mako, and almost never played it again. Fortunately, I gave it another shot and played through it to discover one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time (minus Andromeda, which was just okay).

Remake 1. The others are mostly fine.

ME1 is definitely the most in need of an update. I'd love to see the game updated so that the shooting feels more like the other games. Also would be nice to see some quality of life improvements like inventory and whatnot.

Otherwise, just giving the games a fresh coat of paint would be enough to get me replaying them.

Remakes almost always suck, and given BioEA's current track record, I'm going to go with it'll suck.

Remakes almost always suck, and given BioEA's current track record, I'm going to go with it'll suck.

Example? The Crash and Spyro remakes were wonderful. I'm not a fan of RE, but the RE2 remake was heavily praised. Where are the ones that suck?

Also, the Mass Effect games a new enough that I wouldn't expect any of them to be full remakes. The only one that really would need any modernization at all. Two and three, give them some updated assets, some shiney new effects, and make them run at 4k60. That's all they need.

Lastly, I wouldn't expect Bioware to be involved with this anyway. If this is happening, it's probably pretty safe to say it's been farmed out to another studio. Bioware is known to be working on both another Dragon Age and Mass Effect, as well as continuing to try and make Anthem not suck. They have enough going on as it is.

Example? The Crash and Spyro remakes were wonderful. I'm not a fan of RE, but the RE2 remake was heavily praised. Where are the ones that suck?

Also, the Mass Effect games a new enough that I wouldn't expect any of them to be full remakes. The only one that really would need any modernization at all. Two and three, give them some updated assets, some shiney new effects, and make them run at 4k60. That's all they need.

Lastly, I wouldn't expect Bioware to be involved with this anyway. If this is happening, it's probably pretty safe to say it's been farmed out to another studio. Bioware is known to be working on both another Dragon Age and Mass Effect, as well as continuing to try and make Anthem not suck. They have enough going on as it is.

Farming it out is a large part of the problem. Let see, C&C has continually bad remakes/remasters, Warcraft, and Halo Series all come to mind.

Farming it out is a large part of the problem. Let see, C&C has continually bad remakes/remasters, Warcraft, and Halo Series all come to mind.
The Halo series is being handled directly by 343 Industries, who has been in charge of the IP since Halo 4. It has not been "farmed out" to anyone. Warcraft III: Reforged was also developed in house.

The Halo series is being handled directly by 343 Industries, who has been in charge of the IP since Halo 4. It has not been "farmed out" to anyone. Warcraft III: Reforged was also developed in house.

gearbox did one.

I'll just chalk my opinion up to unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
gearbox did one.
The original PC port of the first game was made by Gearbox, yes. Bungie was working on Halo 2 at the time. The Master Chief Collection version of both games on both Xbox One and PC were made by 343 Industries.

The original PC port of the first game was made by Gearbox, yes. Bungie was working on Halo 2 at the time. The Master Chief Collection version of both games on both Xbox One and PC were made by 343 Industries.

And since 343 did not make 1-reach, it is kinda like farming them out :p.

I hope it is just a remake of the game on a better engine with the mentioned qualify of life improvements. UE4 or Frostbite. I don't want them to alter the story or anything. Maybe they can add a bit to existing side quests or something, but I really would prefer if they don't add more.

A lot of W3 reforged was farmed out to a malaysian studio who did all the graphics and units. All blizz did was mostly a skin for starcraft 2 to make it look like W3. That was mainly why it got delayed for so long, as the malaysian studio got a lot of the units looking wrong so they had to redo nearly all of them. That was also why they had to cut a ton of stuff there was no time to do more after redoing nearly all the graphics.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed exploring in the Mako in the first game. I'd like to see a remaster of ME3 simply to revive the multiplayer.
I liked it too, but the copy&paste bases on every planet were annoying. Although you can say they are all prefab structures so it can make sense then.

Haven't played the three classics since before Andromeda was released.
I would replay them, but buying them again? HAH. After all I already paid for the games, and all the story DLCs that were never discounted to this day.
If a remaster happens they really should offer them for pennies to existing owners for me to bite.

I agree that ME1 needs a rework the most, but all I really want to see is ME3 mult to come back. I don't even care if it's on Frostbite.

I hope it is just a remake of the game on a better engine with the mentioned qualify of life improvements. UE4 or Frostbite. I don't want them to alter the story or anything. Maybe they can add a bit to existing side quests or something, but I really would prefer if they don't add more.

I would call that a rerelease, remake and remaster lends itself towards changes, rather than just an updated release for compatibility on modern systems.

I would call that a rerelease, remake and remaster lends itself towards changes, rather than just an updated release for compatibility on modern systems.

Well if you're remaking the game from the ground up it can't be a re-release. There really aren't clearly refined terms on remaster or remake, but I think people confuse the terms with reboot. Remake/remaster is just remaking what you previously had, obviously with better technology. Of course there may have to be gameplay changes to make the game more sensible for modern times depending on how old the game was. Reboot or re-imagining is taking the general concept and setting and building it into a different experience. Kind of like the Modern Warfare reboot.

If they truly update the games, they need to totally re-balance the weapons and gunplay in the first game along with the boring Mako stuff.

If they truly update the games, they need to totally re-balance the weapons and gunplay in the first game along with the boring Mako stuff.
If they take away my OP pistols I will be very upset.

Haven't played the three classics since before Andromeda was released.
I would replay them, but buying them again? HAH. After all I already paid for the games, and all the story DLCs that were never discounted to this day.
If a remaster happens they really should offer them for pennies to existing owners for me to bite.

I would not expect this.

I'm sure Mass Effect sold pretty well. Remastering it and then giving it cheap to free for anyone who already owns it makes little sense financially, as that leaves a very small market with which to actually turn a profit.

PC players are not likely the target market. This will be able getting these games running on the current and next gen consoles. They will likely got for a full fledged $60 release. Id guess PC sales aren't going to be their focus, but their not going to want to devalue their game by selling it cheaper three.

I would not expect this.

I'm sure Mass Effect sold pretty well. Remastering it and then giving it cheap to free for anyone who already owns it makes little sense financially, as that leaves a very small market with which to actually turn a profit.

PC players are not likely the target market. This will be able getting these games running on the current and next gen consoles. They will likely got for a full fledged $60 release. Id guess PC sales aren't going to be their focus, but their not going to want to devalue their game by selling it cheaper three.
It's not like Mass Effect was a PC exclusive, in fact Mass Effect 1 was released much earlier on console. So I Doubt the situation will be that different there. You can't sell a remaster for the same price as a brand new game on either platform. $60 per game would be laughable, $60 for all three with all story DLCs included, that is what I'd find reasonable, and even at that it would be a hard sell for me dependent on the actual extent and quality of the update.

It's not like Mass Effect was a PC exclusive, in fact Mass Effect 1 was released much earlier on console. So I Doubt the situation will be that different there. You can't sell a remaster for the same price as a brand new game on either platform. $60 per game would be laughable, $60 for all three with all story DLCs included, that is what I'd find reasonable, and even at that it would be a hard sell for me dependent on the actual extent and quality of the update.
$30 USD each or a discounted $80 for all 3 would probably be my limit.

Count me in for a day 1 copy of all 3! Even if nothing is really added except fresh graphics I'll still be in. I replay these masterpieces about once a year anyway so I would be perfectly happy with the same game just but with updated textures and effects.

The story is nearly perfect as is as are the characters so there is no need to touch them at all.

I agree that the Mako missions could be spruced up some to make them a little more enjoyable. They got old really fast.

I wouldn't mind some mechanics tweaks too especially in 3 so that you're not ducking for cover behind something when you're trying to move passed it or jumping over something when you're trying to cover down bahind it. That got so infuriating as it almost always meant me dying in place.

Other than that... I honestly can't think of anything that needs to be changed.

$30 USD each or a discounted $80 for all 3 would probably be my limit.

I guess I wasn't clear. $60 for all three is my expectation. Definitely not $60 per game.

I guess I should gives these games a spin, never played any of them.
I was given a free copy of all 3 back in the day from the developer. There was a manufacturing error for COD Black Ops 2 I think it was, and DVD 1 or 2 had one of the Mass Effect game discs on it.
All you had to do was send a photo of you holding the Black Ops dvd case to them and they sent out the game codes, I think that was pretty cool seeing as ME was an EA game and Black Ops was Activision.
https://www.pcgamer.com/bioware-answering-the-call-of-black-ops-2-players-with-mass-effect-2-discs/

ME1 really is the best of the series. The first play through is rough but once I understood the combat system and other mechanics better it was overall more enjoyable than the more shooter-focused sequels. Other than some QoL (inventory) changes and graphics updates I hope they don't fuck it up.

ME1 is the best story, but the worst gameplay (imho).
ME1, is the worst gameplay, except for the Mako, I know everyone hates it but I loved driving it around the heightmaps.

Just as everyone dumps on ME2 for the main story taking a back seat, I like it for the same reason.

ME1, is nothing special as far as the story goes, what caught my interest in the game is the freedom that you have in it, to visit planets and to take side missions and assignments and to explore, and the relationships you can form with the squad and other NPCs. The main story is pretty generic, new massive threat shows up and wants to destroy galactic civilization and there is only one hero who can save us all, you! And of course nobody takes you seriously, and everyone works against you until its too late bla bla bla, it doesn't get more clichéd than that. The execution and the characters is what carries Mass Effect on its back, not the story.

Cliché story was one of the things I loved about ME1. Avantguard storytelling is something that I enjoy in books and movies, but in games I like to feel like the hero, something ME1 provided in spades. Of course I don't want it so convenient and setup as to not feel relatively believable, but that will be different for all of us.

ME1, is the worst gameplay, except for the Mako, I know everyone hates it but I loved driving it around the heightmaps.

Just as everyone dumps on ME2 for the main story taking a back seat, I like it for the same reason.

ME1, is nothing special as far as the story goes, what caught my interest in the game is the freedom that you have in it, to visit planets and to take side missions and assignments and to explore, and the relationships you can form with the squad and other NPCs. The main story is pretty generic, new massive threat shows up and wants to destroy galactic civilization and there is only one hero who can save us all, you! And of course nobody takes you seriously, and everyone works against you until its too late bla bla bla, it doesn't get more clichéd than that. The execution and the characters is what carries Mass Effect on its back, not the story.

I agree that the story is cliche, but the writing is very good. In other words, stuff like character interaction is really good and engrossing, which I consider to be under the umbrella of "story" in a video game.

I would totally buy it again if this trilogy comes with all DLC for $60. Especially, if they make a remaster of ME 1.

I enjoyed the entire series. Hundreds of hours on each game including Andromeda; I wish they would continue that story, but prolly never will.

Maybe I can sell some lithographs when the hype train is back. lol

It's prolly been a year since I played last.

the problem with ME1 wasn't the Mako itself...it was that every place you landed looked exactly the same...if they can create unique, interesting locations then the Mako would be a lot of fun

I enjoyed the entire series. Hundreds of hours on each game including Andromeda; I wish they would continue that story, but prolly never will.

Maybe I can sell some lithographs when the hype train is back. lol

It's prolly been a year since I played last.

I enjoyed Andromeda as well. Mainly for the game play but I can agree with other people mentioning that the story wasn't that great. I played it after all the bugs were fixed it and it was a good time.

Back