Mass Effect DLC Character "IS" On The Disc

This is one of the reasons I refuse to support EA. (Sorry Bioware, choose a different publisher and I'll buy whatever you make.)

Do what the old Infinity Ward did, close down internally and resign from their positions, reform new studio.

A lot of the big people at Bioware have been with them for many years and are probably well paid and not inclined to go anywhere. Honestly I think studios like Obsidian and CDP RED do a better job in some things than Bioware anyway.

I'm telling you, in the future, we will have the endings chopped off in the game, and we will get a prompt when we reach "the end of the game" asking us to buy the preferred ending to our game for $10 per ending we want.

I'm telling you, in the future, we will have the endings chopped off in the game, and we will get a prompt when we reach "the end of the game" asking us to buy the preferred ending to our game for $10 per ending we want.

Ubisoft already did that with POP 06.

Ubisoft already did that with POP 06.

It will be more and more prevalent, Day 1 DLC is a step in that direction, they keep seeing what we are willing to shell out for.

Being aware of the "stupid tax", i avoid it.

with all the "meh" reviews I've seen and the backlog I already have anyway, I'll just wait for it to go on sale.

Luckily, there are lots of developers making good games that don't follow Bioware trends.

I want to be mad about this shit, but I don't care anymore. I can do without further Bioware games and DLC.

Bioware sucks as a game developer and EA really sucks. EA has destroyed a lot of franchises and all you jerks who think DLC on day one is acceptable are just as guilty as these bastard publishers. DLC is as unacceptable as intrusive DRM. I vote with my wallet and if I could return Dragon Age: Origins, I would. The story was trash and just because characters can have relationships, that doesn't mean a game is more in depth and realistic. I thought it was done rather in a rather tasteless way.

BTW, a fool and his money are quickly parted. Think about that next time you call someone poor for not wanting to pay an additional ten bucks on a game.

I really don't get why people are bitching about this:

Let's say it takes Bioware another $500K to $1M (factor in voice over work, design/art/animation, working ON the story, as well as integrating the character into the normal story and dialogue, integrating and balancing character itself, etc.) to work on another playable character (let's call him...Javik for example), what are potentially some of the factors going into that decision?:

1. Make the character as a pre-order benefit, or for the collectors edition (this was done).
  2. Release the character (and character arc) as DLC (this was done).
  3. Charge more for the regular edition and/or cut something else out to not waste this potential development time (this was not done).
  4. Exclude character from the entire game altogether regardless of DLC (this was not done).

Pre-order/Collector edition 'bonus' = A good gesture for receiving (more) money up-front, with not much else in the form of monetary benefits. People complain about higher costs for what they consider not much in return AKA 'Useless Premium tax'

DLC = A way to monetize the extra development time, but in reality, a gamble. If ME3 sells 5 million units, and 10% of the ME3 paying customers post-purchase this 1 piece of DLC, it covers costs. Can offset loss of revenue from used game sales. People will complain about 'stupid tax'.

Regular edition costs more = Hard to justify the cost compared to the rest of the market. This is technically what the 'collector's edition' is for. People would complain about 'filler' or 'character tax'.

Exclude character: People will complain about wanting more content, and would go on to say they would pay extra for this DLC, but really won't.

itt: gaming forum trolls feeling entitled...
First off, an opinion you disagree with is not trolling.

Second, when you pay for something, you are entitled to it. They should feel entitled; they dished out the money to make such a claim. They purchased a product and thus are entitled to the content of their product. EA told them they had to pay more to unlock the content contained in what they bought.

I'd be mad too had I purchased it, except I vowed never to purchase an EA game again because of BF3. I'm now putting my money where my mouth is.

When Battlefield 4 launches and you're limited to one gun in the $60 base version, and you need to shell out $5 for each additional gun you wish to be able to use, and $5 for each additional vehicle you wish to be able to use, and $10 for each additional class you'd like to be able to play, and $20 for all 5 alternative endings to the campaign -- all on release day -- I want you to remember that the mentality that you have now lead to that.

I'm really ok with that. Mostly because I wouldn't buy it. They can do whatever the hell they want.

/sarcasm Oh, how's that story for Battlefield 3? Oh yeah, real awesome, so much better than all of the Mass Effect Stories put together times a bajillion!(tm) /sarcasm

If they did something like that to a future Mass Effect, I wouldn't buy it. We live in pretty amazing times when people bitch, whine and moan about things like this as opposed to more real issues.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY VIDEO GAMES, NO REALLY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO

It doesn't mean that it doesn't suck, but then again, I'm one that bought Master of Orion 3 in hopes that it'd be awesome. We all know how that one worked out (badly).

Its sad to see people defending this day 1 DLC scheme. I'm not sure if you guys just love Mass Effect/ EA/ Bioware that much that you feel the need to defend everything they do, or you truly believe we should pay more for video games. :eek:

In the past, yes, you actually get everything the developer comes up with and decides it should be in the game. And then while the consumers are busy enjoying it, they carry on developing additional contents which later becomes expansion pack.

There was no such thing as baking a pie and cutting out a few slices to be sold separately. You do get the complete pie, and you can get additional smaller ones latter on as expansion pack. But this is exactly what we're seeing here now, you're not getting the complete product. Part of it is being removed only to be sold to you separately, on day 1 nonetheless!

To me, this is bullshit. I don't think its good for gaming and as a gamer, I cannot support it. Keep supporting it and some day, you will have to buy your games per chapter! Pay for each and every chapter of the game.

A lot of the big people at Bioware have been with them for many years and are probably well paid and not inclined to go anywhere. Honestly I think studios like Obsidian and CDP RED do a better job in some things than Bioware anyway.
You have very much obviously never played a game from Obsidian.

Its sad to see people defending this day 1 DLC scheme. I'm not sure if you guys just love Mass Effect/ EA/ Bioware that much that you feel the need to defend everything they do, or you truly believe we should pay more for video games. :eek:

In the past, yes, you actually get everything the developer comes up with and decides it should be in the game. And then while the consumers are busy enjoying it, they carry on developing additional contents which later becomes expansion pack.

There was no such thing as baking a pie and cutting out a few slices to be sold separately. You do get the complete pie, and you can get additional smaller ones latter on as expansion pack. But this is exactly what we're seeing here now, you're not getting the complete product. Part of it is being removed only to be sold to you separately, on day 1 nonetheless!

To me, this is bullshit. I don't think its good for gaming and as a gamer, I cannot support it. Keep supporting it and some day, you will have to buy your games per chapter! Pay for each and every chapter of the game.

So if they charge me $10 per chapter (up to $80 for example), and after chapter 3 or 4 (which for arguments sake I got enjoyment out of), I am no longer interested, how am I losing exactly? I got my money's worth out of the game, and paid less than even today's games.

Considering the rate at which people actually FINISH games nowadays (partly to 'blame' for all the good games coming out that leaves little time to play/replay a game before moving onto the next), this doesn't sounds too horrific.

If a game sucks, the developer/publisher will never see an audience that buys the entire game outright, so they are making LESS money than by charging for a 'bulk' purchase at a set price plus add-on sales (DLC), instead of purchasing parts that may never be a complete product (Half-Life 2:Episode 3, Sin Episodes are prime examples).

I am amazed and just horrified that we a "few" people here who would defend a company with such a terrible track record. Sorry, but the proof and facts are out there. EA is not a good company and hasn't been for years. In fact, if you go back and look at EA's own press releases, what have we constantly heard in the past? How they were going to try harder and work harder for their customers and improve in the quality of their games and that experience. Go back and look. They know they are greedy. They know they push crap out the door. They know they cyber bully and exploit kids and families in these types online transactions. EA's customers are a lot more savvy and intelligent that what they ever have or ever will give their customers credit for. Lying about content that actually was on the game disc is just more proof. At least take they damn content off the disc so your customers at least have the perceived value that they are really getting something for their very hard earned $10 dollars

Waited a week after release, got the special edition with the $10 DLC and all the other SE content for about the price of tax on the normal edition, even a little less ($64 after GMG 20% off coupon). I know $64 is still a bit, but I honestly had a hard time waiting a week.

You have very much obviously never played a game from Obsidian.

Obsidian games may be buggy as fuck but most of them have better writing across the board than Bioware games which do have some very mixed quality. I did specifically say SOME things.

Obsidian games may be buggy as fuck but most of them have better writing across the board than Bioware games which do have some very mixed quality. I did specifically say SOME things.

You mean how KOTOR2 had much better writing than than KOTOR1 ? Only other Bioware game was Neverwinter knights series, which I never played.

I really don't get why people are bitching about this:

Let's say it takes Bioware another $500K to $1M (factor in voice over work, design/art/animation, working ON the story, as well as integrating the character into the normal story and dialogue, integrating and balancing character itself, etc.) to work on another playable character (let's call him...Javik for example), what are potentially some of the factors going into that decision?:

Don't be dense. They simply cut out a part of the game and repackaged it, as is evidenced by all of the work completed before going gold, and the vital importance that the "optional" character has to the story and lore. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I say that they designed the game around this change, rather than the change being delicately integrated into the game.

You mean how KOTOR2 had much better writing than than KOTOR1 ? Only other Bioware game was Neverwinter knights series, which I never played.

Dragon Age? Jade Empire? Baldur's Gate?

Pretty sure Bioware has made more games than KOTOR and NWN.

Of course I would rather get it all for one price. I'd also like to get all the cables I need when I buy a DVD player but the companies selling the DVD player are not obligated to give me cables if they don't want to.

My DVD player came with all the required cables for playback, came with component and composite cables. Sorry to hear you don't research your products before you buy them and choose to buy incomplete products that require more money than it should.

The rest of the smart buyers out there will however wait until they finish making their game before we buy it. $29.99 with all 10 DLCs included is a better price to pay for the exact same content.

If you so wish to buy it now for the extra price, have fun, Just remember it is people like you who give these companies the impression that they can sell you incomplete products and you will pay out the ass for them, mainly because you will continue to pay out the ass for them. How long until these companies decide that those same DLCs are worth more than they sell them for? Give it a few years and you will be paying 100 dollars for a mutilated base game and 50 dollars for each DLC. But don't worry, you'll still pay the price for it though, under the guise that you are supporting game developers, who will most likely only receive a pink slip for their work. The CEOs of game companies will thank you for your help in buying their gold plated toilets.

My DVD player came with all the required cables for playback, came with component and composite cables. Sorry to hear you don't research your products before you buy them and choose to buy incomplete products that require more money than it should.

The rest of the smart buyers out there will however wait until they finish making their game before we buy it. $29.99 with all 10 DLCs included is a better price to pay for the exact same content.

If you so wish to buy it now for the extra price, have fun, Just remember it is people like you who give these companies the impression that they can sell you incomplete products and you will pay out the ass for them, mainly because you will continue to pay out the ass for them. How long until these companies decide that those same DLCs are worth more than they sell them for? Give it a few years and you will be paying 100 dollars for a mutilated base game and 50 dollars for each DLC. But don't worry, you'll still pay the price for it though, under the guise that you are supporting game developers, who will most likely only receive a pink slip for their work. The CEOs of game companies will thank you for your help in buying their gold plated toilets.

I use HDMI :p

And no it is not people like me that give companies this impression. I rarely even buy dlc and I did not buy mass effect. The most I've ever spent on DLC was like $15 for a call of duty map pack or something because it was worth it to me.

Scumbag Bioware Fans:

Complain when DLC characters like Kasumi and Zaeed don't interact with the rest of the crew.
Complain when Bioware integrates the DLC character with the rest of the game to solve that problem.

Haha, I just LOL'd at that. Sadly, I won't be plunking my cash down until they release the inevitable game of the year edition with all the DLC. I figure that should be out in 8-12 months.

Haha, I just LOL'd at that. Sadly, I won't be plunking my cash down until they release the inevitable game of the year edition with all the DLC. I figure that should be out in 8-12 months.

Some of his dialog is pretty good.

<spoiler .. I guess?>
Tali: So you are a real, live prothean?
Javick: As opposed to a fake, dead one?
Tali: ok ..... (awkward silence)
</spoiler>

Dammit, hit the wrong quote button. This is the post I was actually referring to.

There is is no speculation or wild theories.

EA and Bioware created the content and deliberately left it out of the game so that you had to purchase $10 of DLC on Day 1 so they could pad their bottom line.

There's no other way to look at it.

From Ashes was included in my copy, the collectors edition, so i didn't realize there was a lot of fuss. But heck.. i purchased virtually every DLC (except the clothing packs) for ME2.. I would have paid the $10 extra anyways.

Javik is a great character and his weapon is the best in the game, period.

And this is one reason i'm glad I bought it on console... sure I much prefer PC gaming, but instead of buying it day 1, I bought it day 8 used from craigslist, paid $30 instead of $60 ... bought From Ashes and the multiplayer, and ended up with the full experience for less.

I must say the voice recognition is kinda fun too

There is is no speculation or wild theories.

EA and Bioware created the content and deliberately left it out of the game so that you had to purchase $10 of DLC on Day 1 so they could pad their bottom line.

There's no other way to look at it.

Only in your warped sense of reality is it a fact. A fact requires solid proof and of that there is none. There is only speculation. The facts of the situation are this: Some content is on the disc, the actual mission is not, Bioware said it was completed (keyword) after the game went for certification, EA said the same, EA decided instead of doing what would probably make customers happy decided to go for short-term profit. Those are facts. There are no other facts and trying to claim beyond makes you fit your username perfectly. If you are going to try to turn this into some fucking circle argument kindly fuck off and don't respond.

there is probably cause, the stone prisoner DLC in Dragon Age was the same deal, finished and ready to be integrated as a core part of the game, wanted extra bank, pulled it, threw it in a new quickly genned town and charged for it.
EA is always out for the quick money and bioware is not the company that people stroked themselves to 10 years ago... I'm all for making a profit, Hell i'm currently play their ToR (even though i raged at the loss of galaxies), but that pic earlier in the thread is pretty much it, Baldur's gate was amazing (and complete) and tales was an add on for it that made it better. The whole pieces of the game that were meant to be in from the beginning as core design is sort of shady. IF you are going to nickel and dime people thats fine, but at least make them feel like they are getting their money's worth

IF you are going to nickel and dime people thats fine, but at least make them feel like they are getting their money's worth

And there in lies the problem... half the time in the end, you don't feel you got your monies worth, especially as the price of DLC rises.

I've never bought DLC before the ME series, and never bought any since. The base game ME, and ME2 were good enough I didn't want them to end. However half the DLC was amazing, and I really enjoyed it, and it was definitely worth my money... the other half, left me wanting, and kinda annoyed at just how short it was, or how little went into it and wondering where they got off charging $10 for it.

Then again, 99% of the time, I look at DLC and just don't see the value, or it comes out so late I've moved on to other games and really can't be bothered to reload an old one i've already beaten. I'm hopeful the prothean was worth the $10.

a few thoughts (nothing new here):

-DLC today is planned from the very beginning of development which, in my opinion, means it becomes content that is ripped from the original game.
-DLC described as above, as well as *any* Day Zero DLC, punishes loyal customers. The real "fans" and people who buy the copy on release day end up getting the raw end of the deal. Someone who waits 6 months, hell, even just 3 months, ends up getting the game at a substantial discount as well as several DLC's.

In my opinion, those who preorder, even just the regular version, should get *all* DLC made for the game up to a certain time frame, say one year. This rewards the loyal customers instead of punishing them.

Taking this a step further, the absolute worst offenders of the DLC screw over is Capcom. MvC3 was released, several DLC characters were put out (some on disc, some not); but to make matters even worse, they announced a Super MvC3 just 6 months after the release of the original. Additions/Changes that could have easily fit within the restraints of a DLC Pack, instead they take the whole idea a step further and call it a new game, to be bought for at/near full price. Again, those who get screwed over are the loyal fans.

This, among other things, is part of why I believe the video game industry has "gone to shit". I feel like the industry today is akin to what the movie/music industry was in the 80's and 90's. Churning out repetitious throw-away material thin on actual content.

Back