Mass Effect Andromeda’s Animations Have Reduced It to a Laughing Stock

How old is Jade Empire?!? You know what, Doom had pretty bad facial animations now that I remember.

Ya, cause I was totally referring to the facial animations in those games and not the overall quality of the games in the year that they were published.

I mean how do they get away with this shit?
doomface1.gif~c200

Last edited:
I played and enjoyed all of the ME "core" series; Yes, even ME3 but admittedly I played it after all the story DLC had been released and I played it through with all story DLC , so I didn't have the sour day1/week1 experience some did. It wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I enjoyed the game world considerably and the mechanics improved especially going into ME3. I was rather excited about Andromeda as some early videos showed that especially mechanic wise, they could hone what was already working well in ME3 (which even had a nice, cooperative multiplayer. I personally even liked that it influenced the single player success rate, but I would have liked it to be an "extra bonus" rather than a near requirement it was early after release) while providing some new storytelling opportunities.

Now, there were some issues that had me worried as well, including aesthetic and animation wise (ie the looks of the "Peebee" character seemed to raise some contention. It is either a bad modeling/animating job, or they're actively going for a very particular look - something rumored but not yet confirmed at least to my knowledge), but I didn't expect there to be so many issues as highlighted here. The earlier ME series were using older engines and sometimes didn't have the greatest facial expressions, but this was Bioware, who was able to do good things with even older tech, so I don't expect that the animation / performances to be on the same level much less worse than a title from 4+ years ago. Eyeballs bouncing here and there, blank stare, no inflection, botox face, wooden movements etc... for a landmark title from a well funded studio like this? Not encouraging. This is actually the second group of "since early play": animation critical vids I've seen, where there is another whole set of those that laughable showcase the female player character in a sort of " I am about to crap my pants gait" transitioning into "I now have a load in my pants waddle", ; some question remains if this is a "normal" movement or is the result of a player say...changing direction very quickly or otherwise messing with it to get the effect.

In any regard, I am still interested but I am worried that the performance and story, as well as animations, have not been given the treatment fitting of such a title.

Oh, does anyone who's on Origin know.... if I buy a pre-ordered standard edition from somewhere else to save money, will I be able to upgrade to the Digital Deluxe on Origin right away? I seem to remember other ME2 and ME3 offering upgrades to the Deluxe edition but I don't remember if that was at launch, or not until later...

All this talk about the facial animations. What about the cartoonish proportions of the human characters? They're too short, limbs are too small, heads are too big...
How old is Jade Empire?!? You know what, Doom had pretty bad facial animations now that I remember.
At least they evoked emotion in Doom.

Checking.... Mass Effect: Andromeda is still $60 on Amazon.

Maybe I see the value of money differently, but... $60.... for game game? That has issues? From a problem publisher? Really?

There is a solution to that. It's called don't buy it. Wait six months. Let it drop in price. Don't be a beta tester.

Maybe I see the value of money differently, but... $60.... for game game? That has issues? From a problem publisher? Really?

There is a solution to that. It's called don't buy it. Wait six months. Let it drop in price. Don't be a beta tester.
Plus by then maybe the community modded and fixed the game for them T_T

Yeah after seeing what the game contains, I can wait until it its on sale. I am a Mass Effect fan but not that much.

The makeup on the "my face is tired" chick/bureaucrat in game character is hilarious. I got a good laugh when watching a play through on twitch the other night. Welcome to the cornfields of corny andromeda galaxy.

When has Bioware character design, modeling and animation not been terrible?

Never. OK, the first 3 games were probably the only decent ones.

Oh well, I really didn't want to be supporting this guy buying Mass Effect anyway, even though I was going to anyway if the game was good. At least this helps me feel better about it being a flop.
Jesus, this guy is racist.

I'm sure if you called him out on it though, he would no doubt cite some made up personal definition of why he isn't a racist and that the actual definition of it doesn't apply to him or anything against white people.

When has Bioware character design, modeling and animation not been terrible?

Never. OK, the first 3 games were probably the only decent ones.

Jesus, this guy is racist.

I'm sure if you called him out on it though, he would no doubt cite some made up personal definition of why he isn't a racist and that the actual definition of it doesn't apply to him or anything against white people.
Isn't everyone on twitter?

Oh well, I really didn't want to be supporting this guy buying Mass Effect anyway, even though I was going to anyway if the game was good. At least this helps me feel better about it being a flop.

Holy shit , I knew the guys face when I clicked on it as have seen his racist , anti-white crap , pointed out on other sites. Didn't relate him to MEA though.

Thanks , almost was going to still get MEA for comedic screenshots , but hoping this game gets him ridiculed as he definitely deserves it and won't be spending a dime with them.

Sadly, the issue here is that these aren't glitches. It's actually how the game is supposed to look. It isn't so much that the facial animation is terrible, but it's largely absent, which is why it's so cringe-worthy when some actually shows up and is subpar. Biotic chick keeps the same half smile whether she's telling you that someone close to you died or is trying to crack a joke.

Facial animation is constrained to:
1) Blinking eyes
2) Moving lips
3) Occasional lifting of eyebrows
4) Occasional half smiles that immediately slide back to...
5) Resting botox/bitch face

Eyes never squint, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen an expression of gritting teeth (and that's just pulling the lips back from the teeth, so I'm assuming they were going for gritting), no furrowed brows and there are *no* sidelong glances. It's like it was animated by someone who had read about what people looked like but had never seen them interact before.

I was referring to the general glitches, which is half of what the video I quoted was about. Without a doubt ME:A looks worse animation wise, but the general glitches have been in the series since the first game. 3rd was the worst, but the 1st also had some that broke gameplay and required a checkpoint reload (I had to replay 15-20s in my first run). NPCs teleporting, getting stuck, or your character getting stuck. Lets not forget that thing in the SR-2 cockpit in ME2.

People do all the time, as those are just a handful of his tweets, but he just doubles-down being a dick and posts stuff like the pic below... And I don't care if he's privately racist, but he's very vocal about his hate for white people and EA is cool with it, which annoys me since if it were the other way around it'd be a shitstorm.

JI7wmmc.jpg

Jokes on him though, as "white tears" is just code for semen. :D

I came across him tonight also. Google Manveer Heir. Wow. The SJW deal is strong at Bioware... It's no wonder the female character models look so bad, while the male and aliens look pretty good. I have to admit, once I got past the crappy female character models and animation, I enjoyed my 10 hours playing the ME:A trial. Then I found out about this guy and more at Bioware...I can't in good conscience give them a penny more than I already have. I finished the trial earlier today, and told my wife that in spite of the issues, that I'd had a good enough time that I'd likely reorder Monday (I canceled my preorder yesterday). Then I found out about Manveer Heir, lead developer at Bioware and the whole SJW thing. The only way I can have even a minor impact on things is to vote with my wallet, which I'll do. Bummer I went ahead and finished the Trial and kind of got hooked.

Keep in mind this is Bioware Montreal, their first game at that studio.

It's not Bioware Edmonton where they made ME 1-3/DA 1-3, KOTOR, etc.

JI7wmmc.jpg

Jokes on him though, as "white tears" is just code for semen. :D

Doesn't bug me at all. All his posts (and every other one like him) just serve to confirm that they are indeed the piece of shit that they claim to hate.

The real joke is he is a racist, given power he has/will enact racist policies, given enough power, he would become the very thing he currently hates.

He has more power than I do and he uses it to spread hate and division. Personally i think he is already 'white'.

I dont get this guy. What race/nationality he identifies himself as? Because he is white himself in my eyes. Yes he has dark complexion like a latino or gypsie but they also belong in the "white" category. They are not black or asian.

I dont get this guy. What race/nationality he identifies himself as? Because he is white himself in my eyes. Yes he has dark complexion like a latino or gypsie but they also belong in the "white" category. They are not black or asian.
I hink he's indian. But who gives a fuck about him. SJWs are attention whores. Their only goal is to virtue signal, to show how swell guys and gals they are by showing the world that they care, but they never actually do anything to help the people who they designated as victims. On the contrary they'd rather pretend and ignore the cold hard facts. Here is very good example of this:

Black people in the US commit disproportionately more crime than white people. If you tell this to an SJW prepare for instant meltdown and being labelled as a racist. But it's only a statistic. It's no more racist than saying that 99% of Japan is populated by Asians.
What would be racist is to declare that they commit more crime because they're black. But instead they choose to pretend the statistic doesn't exist and look elsewhere for the problem. Which is not helping anyone. They convinced themselves and some black people that all their problems are caused by white oppression. And the most fascist organization black lives matter was born.

They're obsessed with groups, they can't or won't view people as individuals. Which should be the norm. If a group on the whole has more power or better off, then they think every member of that group is oppressing the other group. It's completely stupid and I don't even know how did they come by such influence as they possess.

They also treat the people they're supposed to be looking out for as mindless children with no agency of their own. It's really ironic though as if you break it down then they're the ones who are sexist and racist. They think the only way for women to achieve equality is by giving them advantages over men. Which begs the question then do they believe women to be inferior to men if we must give them concessions at every turn to match men?

And their final hypocrisy is that they treat dissent or differing opinions as something to be silenced. And self confessedly if they had the power they'd silence everyone who doesn't agree with them. They don't engage in dialogue. They only want to "educate". They think that their position is the last revelation and everything else is blasphemy.

I hink he's indian. But who gives a fuck about him. SJWs are attention whores. Their only goal is to virtue signal, to show how swell guys and gals they are by showing the world that they care, but they never actually do anything to help the people who they designated as victims. On the contrary they'd rather pretend and ignore the cold hard facts. Here is very good example of this:

Black people in the US commit disproportionately more crime than white people. If you tell this to an SJW prepare for instant meltdown and being labelled as a racist. But it's only a statistic. It's no more racist than saying that 99% of Japan is populated by Asians.
What would be racist is to declare that they commit more crime because they're black. But instead they choose to pretend the statistic doesn't exist and look elsewhere for the problem. Which is not helping anyone. They convinced themselves and some black people that all their problems are caused by white oppression. And the most fascist organization black lives matter was born.

They're obsessed with groups, they can't or won't view people as individuals. Which should be the norm. If a group on the whole has more power or better off, then they think every member of that group is oppressing the other group. It's completely stupid and I don't even know how did they come by such influence as they possess.

They also treat the people they're supposed to be looking out for as mindless children with no agency of their own. It's really ironic though as if you break it down then they're the ones who are sexist and racist. They think the only way for women to achieve equality is by giving them advantages over men. Which begs the question then do they believe women to be inferior to men if we must give them concessions at every turn to match men?

And their final hypocrisy is that they treat dissent or differing opinions as something to be silenced. And self confessedly if they had the power they'd silence everyone who doesn't agree with them. They don't engage in dialogue. They only want to "educate". They think that their position is the last revelation and everything else is blasphemy.

First, I am not sure that you know what fascism means. Second, that statistic has some nuance to it that cant just be distilled down to "white people caused our problems" though denying that it has no involvement at all is false as well. There are a number of societal problems that explain why black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime, or at least, are convicted and incarcerated for crimes. One being socioeconomic status and the family support network. Did they grow up in a stable family? If not, what were contributing factors? Parents had to both work two jobs and live in a bad neighborhood? Was one parent not around? Did they come from a broken home? Another would be the statistical tendency for the justice system to steer minorities toward incarceration instead of rehabilitation. Minorities are also targeted by law enforcement with pull overs, pat downs, and questioning more often than whites. There are some cultural problems too, when your music and your influencers in life are constantly teaching you that you are getting a raw deal in life, that you should not trust the police. It can make a profound impact on whether or not you can function in society.

At any rate, the point I am trying to make is that an organization such as black lives matter is a symptom of a problem, one that you cannot pin to just one cause. White people do have some culpability in that problem as well as blacks making it worse for themselves.

Also, you are grossly characterizing what those SJW peeps are all about.

I think what you are seeing with SJW and I guess what you would call Gamergaters is the worst trolls of both groups getting in internet brawls, making both groups look incredibly stupid. Look I got nothing against having normal looking people in my video games, I got nothing against female protagonists or protagonists of a different creed, race, sexual persuasion, i also think if someone wants to make a game with dudes that look like Adonis or chicks with boobs that have their own zip code that they should be entitled to that, its what makes America great, freedom of speech. I do have a problem if that freedom of speech fat shames women, is anti-any ethnic group or religion, as well as anti-LGBT as the general theme of the game, PLEASE DO NOT confuse this with having those elements present in a game, so long as they done within the context of not condoning those activities.

If someone made a game where you play the role of a SS Nazi lieutenant that glorified the purging of Jews and denied the holocaust ever happened. That's free speech gone too far. With WW2 so long ago it is important to teach the lessons we learned to the next generation or history will repeat its mistakes. That is why you see Germany take holocaust denial so seriously and make it a crime.

I have a real problem with a bunch of fuckwads harassing some poor woman because she worked on the animation team for Mass effect. I also have a problem with an internet witch hunt over victory poses that flash alot of booty in overwatch. Neither are right and there is no moral high-road that you can take when resorting to that type of behavior.

First, I am not sure that you know what fascism means. Second, that statistic has some nuance to it that cant just be distilled down to "white people caused our problems" There are some cultural problems too, when your music and your influencers in life are constantly teaching you that you are getting a raw deal in life, that you should not trust the police. It can make a profound impact on whether or not you can function in society.
First I know exactly what fascism means and every act of sjws is a move towards a totalitarian system that would oppress or even punish every dissenting opinion, while emphasising racist propaganda and controlling all industry. Remember they want total control over every job so that they could purge undesirables from the good jobs (= white males). It's eerily close to fascism.
Second it's SJWs who distil down everything to "white oppression and racism is causing their every problem"
though denying that it has no involvement at all is false as well.
No, no no, and no. You can't blanket an entire people as "they cause it" even if you say only partly. Some white people might be responsible, but not white people as a race, or a group. That's where you cross over into racism.
There are a number of societal problems that explain why black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime, or at least, are convicted and incarcerated for crimes. One being socioeconomic status and the family support network. Did they grow up in a stable family? If not, what were contributing factors? Parents had to both work two jobs and live in a bad neighborhood? Was one parent not around? Did they come from a broken home? Another would be the statistical tendency for the justice system to steer minorities toward incarceration instead of rehabilitation.
And that's exactly what I'm talking about you don't need to explain it to me. Explain it to SJWs.
Minorities are also targeted by law enforcement with pull overs, pat downs, and questioning more often than whites.
So they should ignore the statistics? They are targeted for random checks more because the statistic shows they're more likely to have something to hide. Ignoring the statistic in random searches would be highly irresponsible. If there is a rumour that a white thirties male is carrying a concealed weapon illegally, I want police to stop every one they can fitting that description. It's not racism it's common sense. This narrative that police are targeting black people because of racism is highly damaging. Not just for the police image, but for public safety. The idea that police can't target people who are more likely to commit a crime, because they have to fulfil a certain race quota when doing stop checks is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with racism, it has to do with the above mentioned statistic. The one SJW are trying to ignore. And their propaganda is what causing partly the mass incarceration of blacks. Because what propaganda do they spread? The police is out to get you even if you didn't do anything!. Police try to stop them, they resist, they flee, possible even assault police. They're landed in jail. For what? For SJW bullshit. When they could've been on their way in 5 minutes after a check.

At any rate, the point I am trying to make is that an organization such as black lives matter is a symptom of a problem, one that you cannot pin to just one cause. White people do have some culpability in that problem as well as blacks making it worse for themselves.
Yes blm is a symptom allright, of racist sjw propaganda as false narratives. Again some people have culpability in it, but it's not about race it's about individuals who are responsible for the problem. Many blacks are very enlightened about the issue and know what are the real causes (ex: gang violence, broken homes, socioeconomical status, that you mentioned), so you can't say "blacks making it worse for themselves" either. Some blacks are making it worse, and others are just victims of BLM, because they say what they want to hear, instead of what is the solution.

Also, you are grossly characterizing what those SJW peeps are all about.
I think you meant mischaracterizing. But no I don't think so for a minute. White SJWs who support BLM are virtue signalling. They might as well be shouting. "Hey look at me, I support BLM, look at me, I can't be racist because I support BLM!" They're just so afraid of their own racism that they'd rather label everyone else racist just to virtue signal. But I've never saw a white SJW going into the hood to see the situation for themselves. They'd rather believe in a fairyland that they constructed where the smurfs live happily and the police is Gargamel wreaking havoc amongst them. And I definitely didn't see any SJW coming up with solutions instead of pointing fingers.

I think what you are seeing with SJW and I guess what you would call Gamergaters is the worst trolls of both groups getting in internet brawls, making both groups look incredibly stupid.
Thankfully I didn't get involved in the gamergate debacle at all, for years I didn't even know what it was about. But I've seen speeches by BLM founders and leaders, and I can't say anything positive about them. They have the same stupid ideas and biases as the bottom trolls.
Look I got nothing against having normal looking people in my video games,
I do. We game to get away from normal, I look at normal all my life. I don't want the same shit in my games as well. I want to see beautiful people in movies and games. I want to see heroes, and not fumbling idiots as main characters, who might as well be Eddy from the vegetable stand down the road.
I got nothing against female protagonists or protagonists of a different creed, race, sexual persuasion,
I don't either, in fact I'm highly in favour in most customizable characters. That way everyone can make their "hero" look like whatever they want. But somehow I never see people making ugly or even average characters, except a few cases for journalistic fun. So it's bullshit that people want to see normal in games.

I do have a problem if that freedom of speech fat shames women,
Fat is not healthy, pretending that it's healthy is detrimental to society. Fat people should feel ashamed of being fat. I'm fat too, and I'm fucking ashamed of it, but I don't blame society for it. It's my responsibility. And if I wanted I could do against it. So no, fat shaming is not a thing I'm concerned with a least bit.

is anti-any ethnic group or religion, as well as anti-LGBT as the general theme of the game, PLEASE DO NOT confuse this with having those elements present in a game, so long as they done within the context of not condoning those activities.
You know damn well that for SJWs they can't even be represented in any way. There is no right context for them. If the protagonist is good looking that's sexist, if she's bad looking that's sexist too. They're an unrealistic unappeasable bunch of wackos.
And I'm also against this idea that religion should be off limits. No it's not. Every idea should be up for debate, and most religions have terrible ideas embedded in them.

If someone made a game where you play the role of a SS Nazi lieutenant that glorified the purging of Jews and denied the holocaust ever happened.
How can you glorify and deny it at the same time? You tried to be overly dramatic here I think. Anyhow by your standards then the tv show "Man in the High Castle" and the book it was based upon should both be banned then?

That's free speech gone too far. With WW2 so long ago it is important to teach the lessons we learned to the next generation or history will repeat its mistakes. That is why you see Germany take holocaust denial so seriously and make it a crime.
There is no such thing as freedom of speech going too far. There is either freedom of speech or there isn't. Sadly in Germany there is no freedom of speech. And in most of Europe. We shouldn't need laws for ideas. What we need is an informed public who can recognize and dismiss falsehoods. But that's a whole other discussion.

I have a real problem with a bunch of fuckwads harassing some poor woman because she worked on the animation team for Mass effect. I also have a problem with an internet witch hunt over victory poses that flash alot of booty in overwatch. Neither are right and there is no moral high-road that you can take when resorting to that type of behavior.
And that's another topic as well. They're idiots, mostly clueless teenagers. I was among the first to denounce this which hunt. Mass Effect: Andromeda. But what disgusts me even more is bioware's reaction. Instead of protecting her, they simply shat on her by saying no, she's not working there anymore.

Last edited:
I don't see the reference to Deus ex as valid, as Deus ex's voice acting was much better, and main characters were animated quite well. The NPC extras were on par at worse, the thing with ME:A is that MAIN FREAKING CHARACTERS are wooden and emotionless, topped off with bad voice direction and writing...

Got through the 10 hour trial. The game is great. Hard to ignore the animations issues but I am more than willing to look past them since I'm really enjoying the story so far. Looking forward to picking up where I left off Tuesday.

Fat is not healthy, pretending that it's healthy is detrimental to society. Fat people should feel ashamed of being fat. I'm fat too, and I'm fucking ashamed of it, but I don't blame society for it. It's my responsibility. And if I wanted I could do against it. So no, fat shaming is not a thing I'm concerned with a least bit.

You just pointed out one of the main problems with people nowadays. People do not want to be held accountable for shit and do not want to take any sort of responsibility upon themselves.
I commend you for taking responsibility for your weight. Good luck to you!

Why doesn't ME: A allow for modifying the default character faces? All the custom faces are hideous, while the default faces are the closest to looking like an actual person.

Also, I hope the BW is going to improve the character creation system, because it's lacking in options: Why are eyebrows particular to a specific starting head? Ridiculous! And why the same concerning eye-shapes? It's nonsensical.

My theory is that the terrible visual style of the main character(s); the messed up lip sync and animations; and the limited character creation options are all interrelated. I believe that at some point in development it became abundantly clear that either:
A. Someone fucked up really bad and didn't report their team's subpar work to the head designers
B. They ran out of time due to similar reasons and had to rush things

This in turn put them in a panic to try to hide how bad it really was by distorting the proportions of the characters, so that clipping and oddities were hopefully "minimized". This is why the main character has such huge lips, eyebrows; and why the character creator has abnormally limited options to altering the face.

Why doesn't ME: A allow for modifying the default character faces? All the custom faces are hideous, while the default faces are the closest to looking like an actual person.

Also, I hope the BW is going to improve the character creation system, because it's lacking in options: Why are eyebrows particular to a specific starting head? Ridiculous! And why the same concerning eye-shapes? It's nonsensical.

If I remember correctly you weren't allowed to modify the default faces in the previous games either. The other preset faces were hideous, and it was pretty hard making them good looking there as well. So that's nothing new. But if they castrated customization that will be a big problem. I never play default.

Yeah, if you didn't use one of the pre-made faces the custom ones were of obvious lower quality in the previous games,

I went through ME2/3 with this mod:
http://www.facesofgaming.com/submission/hub/id/5359fefd3d1988cd168b47af#Comments

Far better looking then anything you could make as a player by using Kaiden's face and tweaking some things.

Modders (IE gibbed's tools) let you change skin/eye/hair and everything for the pre-made faces.

Somehow Bioware seems to not know how to do it...or rather they don't want to let you do it.

Last edited:
I don't see the reference to Deus ex as valid, as Deus ex's voice acting was much better, and main characters were animated quite well. The NPC extras were on par at worse, the thing with ME:A is that MAIN FREAKING CHARACTERS are wooden and emotionless, topped off with bad voice direction and writing...

Even Jensen's animations can look fairly poor. I would say DE: MD general movement animations look worse than what I have seen of ME:A. It was annoying but the game was still pretty good. ME:A has worse facial animations I suppose.

What about Austin? SWTOR is based out of there and is still active.

It has horrific animation errors the same as all the other modern BioWare games. They have improved newer NPC facial animations and models over the years though.

Turns out you didn't have to wait 6 months. 10 days later and the price is already coming down.

Amazon is down to $55 and Steam is down to $44.

I have been watching some of these montage videos, and the animation truly is horrible. It's not even an artwork issue, even stuff like edge detection is terrible.

I ended up picking the game up for ~$45.

It actually isn't that bad. The animations aren't great but I don't find they really take away from the experience (at least not as much as I had feared).

The game is... large, and feels like a streamlined version of DA:I

My biggest gripe is having to sit through extraordinarily long animations every time your ship takes off/lands/visits a new planet/visits a new system.

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to make those scenes unskippable?

I'll probably pick it up once it breaks below $30. I still have a weakness for Sci-Fi epics no matter how shit they look.

I ended up picking the game up for ~$45.

It actually isn't that bad. The animations aren't great but I don't find they really take away from the experience (at least not as much as I had feared).

The game is... large, and feels like a streamlined version of DA:I

My biggest gripe is having to sit through extraordinarily long animations every time your ship takes off/lands/visits a new planet/visits a new system.

Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to make those scenes unskippable?

I'm fairly certain those scenes are largely there to mask the game loading in the background.

Back