Mass Effect: Andromeda Not the Start of a New Trilogy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear BioWare, quit saying stuff like this. You know as well as I do that if Mass Effect: Andromeda sells well that BioWare will continue to crank these things out as long as people will buy them. Honestly, as long as the games continue to be good, I'm cool with that.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not the start of a new trilogy for BioWare's spacefaring RPG series. This is according to creative director Mac Walters, who spoke to Game Informer about how Andromeda's story isn't similar in structure to the three games in the Commander Shepard series.

Last edited:
The "in-game" frames in the video look pretty spectacular, I have faith in Bioware.

It's not a trilogy, it's a quadruple trilogy! The final game will simply be the ending cenamatics that registers everything you have done in the other 11 games and fine tune your ending to one of 2 sky boxes for the end! It's brilliant!

No, it't not the start of a trilogy. It's the start of a continuing series of games that will stretch out in to infinity!

Seriously, I totally believe there will be as many mass effect games as they think they can sell. If they're good I'll buy 'em.

The first series they launched as a "trilogy" in order to get people interested in what they were doing as a sort of hook to get buy-in into a new story-driven IP and the whole "interconnected trilogy" thing resonated with RPG fans. They didn't even know where the story was going to go, they just knew they needed a hook to get people interested in a new IP. And that's not conjecture, that's straight from BioWare themselves.

This new one they obviously have no need for any such hook. The series is one of the most popular around. So it's the smart thing for them to do to see how people take to the new character and new setting (as much as a new Galaxy is 'new') and not tie their hands for 10-years by signing on for that too early. I'm certain that the story will end in such a way that they can choose to either continue it with this character if people really take to them, or go another route with another character if that's what people want. I would not at all be surprised if you don't discover all the "arks" during the course of this title, leaving either a nice sequel as this "Ryder" character or for them to take a 'mulligan' and make the next title using a character from another ship and choose to either tie the games together, or go on an altogether divergent path.

Regardless, you can be certain that they are going to continue to series. They're just not going to call it a "trilogy" at this point in development.

No it's not a Trilogy: it's one game followed by a succession of short lived over-priced DLCs!

But like Steve, I'm cool with that. :cool:

No it's not a Trilogy: it's one game followed by a succession of short lived over-priced DLCs!

But like Steve, I'm cool with that. :cool:
It's cool as long as they produce DLCs like Citadel, and Leviathan.

I do not care if it is a single game or an series of games. Just make it as good as previous 3

That's what I'm saying. The first 3 are my all time favorite games ever. I'm not expecting this one to live up to those because it was the characters that made those games great IMO but I think Bioware could still capture the story and atmosphere that also made ME 1-3 superb. It'll be a day 1 buy for me.

Back