Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Will Impact Single Player Story

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Am I the only who thinks single player and multiplayer should be completely separate entities? They played around with this idea in Mass Effect 3, and I hated how you were kind of forced into dealing with MP to get the "best" ending.

…series producer Mike Gamble… revealed that the multiplayer in Mass Effect: Andromeda will be tied closely to the campaign, and will have a direct impact on the story, not unlike how multiplayer functioned in Mass Effect 3. According to Gamble, players will be able to access Andromeda‘s multiplayer mode while playing the single player campaign, so it should feel like a natural extension of the story instead of a separate feature. Dubbed Strike Team, the multiplayer missions will be built around the planet Helios, which will have a story that feeds into the larger narrative. And luckily for Mass Effect fans that would rather experience everything solo, Gamble has confirmed that the story content seen in the multiplayer mode can be accessed in the single player campaign as well.

Hmmm, never played ME3 multiplayer and I got the "best" ending, but admittedly I grinded for the maximum war assets stuff I could find. If MEA is different or you don't want to invest that much time in it you could always use cheat engine to do anything you want in single player.

It says you can access the story content for multiplayer solo which I guess is ok but they shouldn't be connected at all.

I know when I find time to sit down to relax and get lost into a RPG space opera, I like to have those moments broken up by 15 year olds calling me a fag to really make me feel part of the narrative.

Can't wait for Alvin the 10 year old screaming at me to learn to play. Good thing I learned my lesson from ME3 not to pre-order.
You guys ever play ME3 multiplayer? No one ever talked, Xbox or PC. A lot of my friends on Xbox Live I met through the ME3 multiplayer...

You guys ever play ME3 multiplayer? No one ever talked, Xbox or PC. A lot of my friends on Xbox Live I met through the ME3 multiplayer...

People talked when I played on PC.

My friends friends hooked up with a girl in me3 multiplayer and eventually married her!

Well that sucks, sounds like another bargain bin purchase. There's nothing wrong with multiplayer I just don't want it in single player games, pick one and do it well.

With so many games broken on release, stripped of content for day one DLC, filled with microtransactions, and wasting development time on tacked on multiplayer I'm starting to wonder if publishers even want my money anymore.

OK, so I've watched a couple of game play videos. Is it just me or are the animations in this thing looking like they're from a high school class?

The animations are bad. The game looks like generic shit. Wait for the release and expect to be disappointed. About par for the course for every game released lately. I was just talking to a friend about how bad new games have been lately. Just lacking soul or something. I am having to force myself to play anything. Weird feeling for sure. Maybe I should buy a console................

gunshot, thud, darkness................crying

I believe they patched out the need to do MP in ME3 to get all the endings. MP content that ties into the story is fine, and it sounds from that quote they know that people still want to play it all SP.

The quality of the actual game however, I'm still going to question.

I've wondered for years why anyone bothers to play these scripted offline games anymore. They bore the shit out of me.

console gaming at least, no one does talk anymore. No co-op, no mom-screwing, nothing. At best it is just someone with a headset playing music so loud you have to hear it until you block them. Not sure if the pc arena is similar, don't really play much MP games there.

So.....replay value ZERO? Playing the alter ego of your last character pointless because you have to convince others to follow suit? GENIUS!

(...maybe there could be separate lobby genres in the MP selections, but I doubt that. HIGHLY doubt that.)

The animations are bad. The game looks like generic shit. Wait for the release and expect to be disappointed. About par for the course for every game released lately. I was just talking to a friend about how bad new games have been lately. Just lacking soul or something. I am having to force myself to play anything. Weird feeling for sure. Maybe I should buy a console................

gunshot, thud, darkness................crying

Not related to Spaceman Spiff are you?

ME3 multiplayer wasn't terrible, but pretty basic too (especially the CoD-style 'grind' for higher ranks).

Still, I would never buy a ME game for the multiplayer.

single players is for story time exploration and fun at your own pace
multiplayer is about competition and training.. those things are not that oftne good to integrate unless we are on a MMO

console gaming at least, no one does talk anymore. No co-op, no mom-screwing, nothing. At best it is just someone with a headset playing music so loud you have to hear it until you block them. Not sure if the pc arena is similar, don't really play much MP games there.
These days I think most are just in party chat with friends. I know that's what I'd rather do than talk with randoms I don't know.

This is stupid. I play Mass Effect for the single player. I tried ME3's MP once and hated it. I shouldn't have to play multiplayer to fully experience the single player. What happens when people want to play solo long after the MP community has died off? Games like COD and Battlefield, mutliplayer focused games with a sloppy single player attached, those are the sort of games that have long-term multiplayer communities. Games like Mass Effect, where the multiplayer is more of a "me too" effort... they always seem to die off quickly after launch.

This is stupid. I play Mass Effect for the single player. I tried ME3's MP once and hated it. I shouldn't have to play multiplayer to fully experience the single player. What happens when people want to play solo long after the MP community has died off? Games like COD and Battlefield, mutliplayer focused games with a sloppy single player attached, those are the sort of games that have long-term multiplayer communities. Games like Mass Effect, where the multiplayer is more of a "me too" effort... they always seem to die off quickly after launch.

I think the player base they already have convinced to buy this game would completely agree. I was one of those extremely annoyed people when I heard ME3 was pushing the multi-player, and that caused me to wait a few months before buying the game. (They swore that is was different resources so it wasn't like the single player would be affected... but that argument of where you stick people to work on a game is just bs.) At least they made it so you could grind a bit more and not have to do the multiplayer to get the best ending (how ever crudy that was...) Hopefully this will be the same deal. That said multi-player is still where EA is convinced it can push to get more players + keep people playing the game longer. Who knows maybe it is true, since I doubt there are many more people out there that they can easily get for single player. (I don't know what they decided their drop in 1 mil sales from ME2 to ME3 was due to, but I would guess they figure it isn't the multiplayer, just the bad press about he ending.)

Couldn't even finish the first game because I found it tedious and boring so I wont be buying this but I'd hate to see this become a new trend in games.

I think the player base they already have convinced to buy this game would completely agree. I was one of those extremely annoyed people when I heard ME3 was pushing the multi-player, and that caused me to wait a few months before buying the game. (They swore that is was different resources so it wasn't like the single player would be affected... but that argument of where you stick people to work on a game is just bs.) At least they made it so you could grind a bit more and not have to do the multiplayer to get the best ending (how ever crudy that was...) Hopefully this will be the same deal. That said multi-player is still where EA is convinced it can push to get more players + keep people playing the game longer. Who knows maybe it is true, since I doubt there are many more people out there that they can easily get for single player. (I don't know what they decided their drop in 1 mil sales from ME2 to ME3 was due to, but I would guess they figure it isn't the multiplayer, just the bad press about he ending.)

I don't understand the push for multiplayer in singpleplayer oriented games. It costs EA money to keep multiplayer servers running. In a game like Battlefield, that cost is necessary to sell the game. In a game like Mass Effect, absolutely not. I have to imagine they'll spend more on server upkeep than they would lose from the small crowd who wouldn't buy the game without a multiplayer component. Who cares if people keep playing, once you buy it, it doesn't matter to them if you play it for 20 hours or 200. Even with DLC, Mass Effect games have often (not always) had some high quality single player DLC. There's money to be made there. On multiplayer map packs? I don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something...

I think the only way that would work is if you could be playing single player and "call for reinforcements" and then a few players jumped in, kicked ass for you to help out, then disappeared.

Couldn't even finish the first game because I found it tedious and boring so I wont be buying this but I'd hate to see this become a new trend in games.

This is as stupid as Blizzard doing the same type of thing for years and even more so in Legion. All you want to do is solo quest or maybe quest with a friend. But, wait, a questline or five comes to a stop because now you're being forced into PvP areas/arenas or mythic dungeons/raids, that you either despise or would be perfectly happy to avoid, in order to continue your progression.

All as they proclaim, you're free to quest and explore the way you like. It comes down to the IP owners wanting to force their customers to use more of the product- even if it's against their customer's express wishes and desires.

ikevi also nails it, in that many games moving to push the multiplayer experience are simply moving to cash in on in-game purchasing of credits, armor, weapons and other DLC.

Sad to say, I'm old enough to remember when I could buy a game (Doom/Quake/SW:Dark Forces 2) and get a full single player experience. Then I could move to multiplayer, when I liked, and depend on the fan base to generate new maps, mods, weapons, etc., I could download to play and enjoy as I wanted- for free.

Simply, it's a sad business model, whether in-game purchases or coerced game play, that is now being employed by certain developers!

single players is for story time exploration and fun at your own pace
multiplayer is about competition and training.. those things are not that oftne good to integrate unless we are on a MMO

Unless it's a co-op game, like Borderlands. Story time exploration with some friends.

wow this doesn't sound good at all. I want a SP experienced RPG. MP should be kept out of it....

More and More I think they are going to fuck this game up....Hope not as i REALLY am looking forward to the story. I mean i don't know about you guys, but I am wondering if at some point in the game they "might" be able to get information about the Milky Way Galaxy!

NOT THIS FUCKING SHIT AGAIN

They had to backtrack on it last time, what would make that different now?

It's quite a gamble, Mike.

^ underrated post.

1449532822755.gif

^ underrated post.
It's already overrated. Everyone thinks they're the first one to point out the very obvious pun in someone's name, "hey you're named Big Dick? I bet noone noticed that before I did"

This is purely a checkbox for investors I'm sure. No Dev in their right mind making an SP game would go out their way to build an entire multiplayer experience and then force the SP campaign into it somehow.

Bet it kinda went like this:

EA: We need your money for our SP game!
Investor: We don't like SP games as the sales decline rapidly after launch.
EA: We add multiplayer to sustain interest!
Investor: What if people just ignore MP and stop playing when done with the SP?
EA: We'll force everyone to play it!
Investor: Excellent, here's my money now.

Back