Mass Effect: Andromeda editor exits BioWare, games industry

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Got to wonder what's going on here.
End of the creative period of development, time for the crunch. And you don't need writers and editors for that. It fits with the timeline of a 12 month from now release date. So I don't see this as a concern for ME itself.

The bigger question is why are they happy to leave their talent go, instead of putting them on the next big project?

End of the creative period of development, time for the crunch. And you don't need writers and editors for that. It fits with the timeline of a 12 month from now release date. So I don't see this as a concern for ME itself.

The bigger question is why are they happy to leave their talent go, instead of putting them on the next big project?

I think these people are burned out on the series. After awhile you just have no story worthy of GOTY to tell. So you move on and revitalize yourself with new experiences. If Bioware was still independent, they would have more varied games for people to work on. Then again the fans expect every Bioware game to be another opus so damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Excluding Andromeda, all Mass Effect sequels began development before the release of the preceding game. ME2 began development while ME was still in the last stages of development, and work began on ME3 while ME2 was being finalized. There was a huge delay in starting development on Andromeda for whatever reason and it's scary to think that this game isn't already spawning a sequel. My guess is that this one will be such a radical departure from the earlier games that EA is going to take a wait and see approach on green lighting another sequel.

I'm concerned for the future of the franchise and BioWare itself. BioWare has done nothing but take flak since Mass Effect 3's release and ultimately its letdown. It's suffered excessive criticism over Star Wars: The Old Republic and Dragon Age II. The redemption of the Dragon Age series with Inquisition may not be enough to stem the eventual tide that's coming. Mark my words, EA will shut down BioWare before too long. It may not be within the next calendar year, but I think they've burned the brand at this point. They've driven all the talent away, the quality of games has taken a nose dive and the death spiral doesn't seem to be slowing down. There have been tons of layoffs at BioWare Austin where they work on SW:TOR. That game has received continuing criticism as BioWare drives long term players and fans of the game away with bullshit decisions and declining patch quality.

BioWare is a shell of it's former self and I'm not surprised that people want to leave.

Excluding Andromeda, all Mass Effect sequels began development before the release of the preceding game. ME2 began development while ME was still in the last stages of development, and work began on ME3 while ME2 was being finalized. There was a huge delay in starting development on Andromeda for whatever reason and it's scary to think that this game isn't already spawning a sequel. My guess is that this one will be such a radical departure from the earlier games that EA is going to take a wait and see approach on green lighting another sequel.

I'm concerned for the future of the franchise and BioWare itself. BioWare has done nothing but take flak since Mass Effect 3's release and ultimately its letdown. It's suffered excessive criticism over Star Wars: The Old Republic and Dragon Age II. The redemption of the Dragon Age series with Inquisition may not be enough to stem the eventual tide that's coming. Mark my words, EA will shut down BioWare before too long. It may not be within the next calendar year, but I think they've burned the brand at this point. They've driven all the talent away, the quality of games has taken a nose dive and the death spiral doesn't seem to be slowing down. There have been tons of layoffs at BioWare Austin where they work on SW:TOR. That game has received continuing criticism as BioWare drives long term players and fans of the game away with bullshit decisions and declining patch quality.

BioWare is a shell of it's former self and I'm not surprised that people want to leave.

I don't see it that way. The more popular a game / franchise the more haters will it attract. Mass Effect3 was a damn good game, and there is no reason to shut down the developer because of a few raving individuals, who can't fathom that gaming is not just about an ending, it's about the journey which was in ME's case 100 hours, the ending is 10 minutes. Which one is more important? For me the 100 hours that came before. That was actually closer to 500 with all the replays.

Also Dragon Age2, was the first Bioware game that completely abandoned their RPG origins. That's why most fans looked at it in disgust. Was it a bad game? No, I think it was a very good game, better than Inquisition. Yes I mean that.

As for SW:TOR, I tried it once, it was like any other MMO I tried before, and since: shallow, and boring. I came to the conclusion that that is just the way of the genre.

Somehow I don't see the demise of Bioware happening:

According to Electronic Arts' fiscal 2015 third quarter earnings report, Dragon Age: Inquisition is the most successful launch in BioWare history based on units sold.

I don't see it that way. The more popular a game / franchise the more haters will it attract. Mass Effect3 was a damn good game, and there is no reason to shut down the developer because of a few raving individuals, who can't fathom that gaming is not just about an ending, it's about the journey which was in ME's case 100 hours, the ending is 10 minutes. Which one is more important? For me the 100 hours that came before. That was actually closer to 500 with all the replays.

Also Dragon Age2, was the first Bioware game that completely abandoned their RPG origins. That's why most fans looked at it in disgust. Was it a bad game? No, I think it was a very good game, better than Inquisition. Yes I mean that.

As for SW:TOR, I tried it once, it was like any other MMO I tried before, and since: shallow, and boring. I came to the conclusion that that is just the way of the genre.

I disagree, to me it seemed like they phoned in about half that game, people were just so outraged at the vomit of an ending the rest looks amazing by comparison. Good god how many fly here, hit a button, fly back and deliver item quests were there? Traversing the universe was like a sad tablet game half the time.

If Bioware doesn't lean towards Witcher 3 level storytelling they can close the doors in my opinion. Maybe sell their IP to someone who will do it justice. When they announce stuff now I don't even care, I assume it's just another profit driven title like ME3, DA2, and DAI.

I disagree, to me it seemed like they phoned in about half that game, people were just so outraged at the vomit of an ending the rest looks amazing by comparison. Good god how many fly here, hit a button, fly back and deliver item quests were there? Traversing the universe was like a sad tablet game half the time.

If Bioware doesn't lean towards Witcher 3 level storytelling they can close the doors in my opinion. Maybe sell their IP to someone who will do it justice. When they announce stuff now I don't even care, I assume it's just another profit driven title like ME3, DA2, and DAI.
You're free to disagree, but I don't see anything in your post to back up your claim that bioware will go out of business. Why because you, personally dislike their games? While what I cited proves the exact opposite. Every title is profit driven, in the AAA gaming industry. That doesn't make them automatically bad. And if the next game will be anything like Witcher, I'll be very disappointed. Not because witcher 3 is a bad game. I never played it. But I can already see all the moaning haters how bioware copied witcher. And frankly that trend is the worst in gaming industry. When someone comes out with a game that is well received and successful, and then everyone else tries to carbon copy it. That's the gaming industry at it's worst, and you actually want that? Please rethink your position on that. Everyone should do their own thing. And I hope bioware won't try to mimic anyone else.

The people that were angry about the ending to Mass Effect 3 were hardly a vocal minority. The internet rage over the ending was probably more prevalent than it is over most internet rage, regardless of the subject matter. The ending was so bad that it took away from the entire experience. I hear people making the justification that the journey is what's important. I'm going to disagree with that and say that the journey isn't worth while if the ending sucks that bad. I personally felt like it ruined the series. In it's original form the ending was so bad I wished I'd never played the previous installments. SWTOR, as far as MMOs go was actually more compelling in some ways than other games of the genre. Overall I liked the game, but the management of it and the decisions BioWare makes in regards to it get worse and worse. I won't get into the whole thing, but the way this game has been handled isn't doing BioWare any favors.

Regardless, it may not happen for awhile but BioWare's reputation keeps taking a beating and that devalues the brand and BioWare being shut down seems like an inevitability to me.

The people that were angry about the ending to Mass Effect 3 were hardly a vocal minority. The internet rage over the ending was probably more prevalent than it is over most internet rage, regardless of the subject matter. The ending was so bad that it took away from the entire experience. I hear people making the justification that the journey is what's important. I'm going to disagree with that and say that the journey isn't worth while if the ending sucks that bad. I personally felt like it ruined the series. In it's original form the ending was so bad I wished I'd never played the previous installments. SWTOR, as far as MMOs go was actually more compelling in some ways than other games of the genre. Overall I liked the game, but the management of it and the decisions BioWare makes in regards to it get worse and worse. I won't get into the whole thing, but the way this game has been handled isn't doing BioWare any favors.

Regardless, it may not happen for awhile but BioWare's reputation keeps taking a beating and that devalues the brand and BioWare being shut down seems like an inevitability to me.

How does something retroactively erase your good experiences with a game over 4 years and replace it with shit? I was very vocal with my disappointment over the ending of ME3, but did that change my experiences with ME1 and 2 I had years before? Not at all. You can argue that the ending made it's mark on the entire ME3, even I failed to see any positives in it after first finishing it, the rage overshadowed everything. But after i calmed the fuck down I realized that the rest of the game was just as good as ME2. That's why I'm looking forward to Andromeda. Just because the desert was shit I'm not going to say that the main course tasted like shit too.

. I hear people making the justification that the journey is what's important. I'm going to disagree with that and say that the journey isn't worth while if the ending sucks that bad. I personally felt like it ruined the series. In it's original form the ending was so bad I wished I'd never played the previous installments.

I'm in this camp. Played 1 & 2 several times each to get different endings, plot lines, romances, etc. Ever since I finished ME3, I haven't touched any of the games since, and I got ME3 on launch day. Completely spoils the future journey of replaying the games, and spoiled the original journeys putting that horrific ending hovering over all of it, like a cleveland steamer on top of Gigi Hadid.

The beginning and the ending are the most important parts of any writing. The ending vastly more so. ME3 was universally panned by pretty much everyone as having literally the worst ending in a franchise ever and deservingly so. It was like they didn't even try and just tacked something on at the last minute.

Again, you're all alone in this assessment. Sales were down, critics hammered it, and it was a huge departure from a game that was universally acclaimed and loved by fans.

While perhaps not soon, it is sadly inevitable given the way the parent company values profit over anything else.

I think the ending was off but it didn't ruin the game or series for me. I wish it was better but I still enjoyed the game for the most part. It was rushed in other ways. The side quests and really terrible character of Kai Lang or whatever he was called. No option to choose between next story mission. One of the biggest decisions you make in the entire series, choosing Udina or Anderson, was essentially swept under the rug.

But ME2 itself was a letdown in many ways. The important decisions you made didn't amount to anything either (again, Udina VS Anderson), and the final boss battle and ending was a low point of the series to. After playing through the story of ME2 I had a feeling ME3 wouldn't be as good as the first game either.

Personally I thought ME2 was the weakest of the bunch. You lost a lot of the RPG elements as well as a lot of the squad dynamic tactics in comparison with the first game. Then there was the planet scanning dynamic. That just plain sucked. Finally you had a great lead up to the final boss battle and what do you get? A giant floating head out of some 1980s cabinet game.

The character development of ME2 was the only redeeming part of that game, everything else was done better either ME1 or ME3, often by both

And if the next game will be anything like Witcher, I'll be very disappointed. Not because witcher 3 is a bad game. I never played it. But I can already see all the moaning haters how bioware copied witcher.

Not really. It was actually CDProjekt that copied Bioware's style of making RPG's with Witcher 2 and 3. What they simply did was (nearly) perfect it in 3, showed how its done with care and love. The quality bar skyrocketed. If Bioware takes the hint and ups their game to the level CDProjekt nobody would really complain because they ARE fathers of this style of RPGs after all.

The beginning and the ending are the most important parts of any writing. The ending vastly more so. ME3 was universally panned by pretty much everyone as having literally the worst ending in a franchise ever and deservingly so. It was like they didn't even try and just tacked something on at the last minute.

+1

Until the ME3 was bandaged with the DLC's I could not touch it again for long time. The claim that the "ending does not matter, the journey" does is fucking bullshit when it comes to RPGs. That claim is true for games where the fun comes from the game mechanics alone, like platformers or fighting games and so on. Story does not matter and ending could be written by a 3 year old, all irrelevant as long as playing the game is so much fun. For RPG a good satisfying ending is one of the most important things. Botch that and the journey stops mattering, the gamer feels like he just wasted his time. Same applies to books too. Read a big novel that keeps promising something awesome and then it suddenly topples down like a pyramid of cards at the end. With anger the book flies into the trash bin.

Witcher 2 was decent but I didn't find it to be great. Probably had a lot to do with the theme, which is really uninteresting for me. Not very clear on what you had to do and the movement was also sub par. But I did have some good parts to it. I would prefer if action RPGs stayed in a smaller scale like Witcher 2. Most open world games become grindy and repetitive. I have not tried Witcher 3 yet but the open world seems like a negative to me. The areas in Witcher 2 were detailed and offered some ways to approach things differently without spending lots of time figuring where to go and how to activate a quest or similar. A big problem in lots of modern games, like MGSV.

I hope the new Mass Effect doesn't stray to far from its roots and I really hope it doesn't end up being a big empty world with long travel time and repeated missions to artificially lengthen the game.

+1

Until the ME3 was bandaged with the DLC's I could not touch it again for long time. The claim that the "ending does not matter, the journey" does is fucking bullshit when it comes to RPGs. That claim is true for games where the fun comes from the game mechanics alone, like platformers or fighting games and so on. Story does not matter and ending could be written by a 3 year old, all irrelevant as long as playing the game is so much fun. For RPG a good satisfying ending is one of the most important things. Botch that and the journey stops mattering, the gamer feels like he just wasted his time. Same applies to books too. Read a big novel that keeps promising something awesome and then it suddenly topples down like a pyramid of cards at the end. With anger the book flies into the trash bin.

I guess I didn't expect much from ME3 ending and therefor wasn't disappointed. in ME1, it took everyone and everything to stop a single reaper, in ME2 you took on a floating head, and ME3 you take on the full wrath and might of their army? One that had destroyed countless cycles of existence? Really, you thought there would be a good ending to that? the ONLY ending that would have made since was a complete and total rape of the universe by the Reapers, but that doesn't make anyone happy. so you are forced to write something involving a long lost super weapon as a vehicle to give you the true purpose of the Reapers and one of 3 possible outcomes: fuck everyone, can't we all get along and transcendence. None of which are great, but given the die that was cast, what could they do? Don't fool yourself, you knew going into ME3 that the ending had to be shit, after the cluster fuck of ME2 there was no other way, yet you went on the journey still. it wasn't the potential ending that made you do it, it was the promise of getting to that horrible resolution that made you do it.

I guess I didn't expect much from ME3 ending and therefor wasn't disappointed. in ME1, it took everyone and everything to stop a single reaper, in ME2 you took on a floating head, and ME3 you take on the full wrath and might of their army? One that had destroyed countless cycles of existence? Really, you thought there would be a good ending to that? the ONLY ending that would have made since was a complete and total rape of the universe by the Reapers, but that doesn't make anyone happy. so you are forced to write something involving a long lost super weapon as a vehicle to give you the true purpose of the Reapers and one of 3 possible outcomes: fuck everyone, can't we all get along and transcendence. None of which are great, but given the die that was cast, what could they do? Don't fool yourself, you knew going into ME3 that the ending had to be shit, after the cluster fuck of ME2 there was no other way, yet you went on the journey still. it wasn't the potential ending that made you do it, it was the promise of getting to that horrible resolution that made you do it.

Oh trust me, on hindsight we should have seen this coming after the mediocre story of ME2 which did not really push the story forward on how we could defeat the reapers. Logically thinking they got the games backwards basically. ME2 should have been about the unification of the galaxy with Cerberus throwing wrenches into the wheels due to their own agenda and ME3 should have been a one big suicide mission that focuses on your team and characters who may or may not keep dying left and right depending on your earlier choices. And as you said since Reapers were so powerful it should have been obvious that we cannot defeat them with our own current tech, BUT since Sovereign was destroyed it left all that tech behind that could level the playing field a little bit. It was afterall blown to pieces but not disintegrated completely. Bloody hell even the small pieces were the size of a small spaceship! It was so obvious and people were speculating a lot on Bioware forums where things would go based on that. But no, they threw it all away with dumbass reasons...

Anyway, despite the problems ME2 we forgave a lot, too much even. Thinking it was the "middle of the series" and the hundred hours of playtime on ME1 bringing some denial and so on. And ME3 was the result that woke people up.

I get the feeling that EA sought to make ME2 more episodic in order to sell DLC, so the game had to be fundamentlaly structured to allow for any additional content to be added at any point in the story.

This severely cripples your options for a linear story, and so we ended up with ME2's collection of disparat stories with weak excuses as to why no mention of the main narrative can be spoken.

ME3 was better in that regard, however, the game was critically boring to play for the most part. The gameplay that was so dull and repetitive I get the impression most fights were copy and paste affairs by over-worked devs.

Anyway, despite the problems ME2 we forgave a lot, too much even.

As soon as I finished ME3 I realized ME2 was the most over rated of the series. It was still a great game but it was the low point of the series. Replaying it shows just how shallow it was in comparison.

As soon as I finished ME3 I realized ME2 was the most over rated of the series. It was still a great game but it was the low point of the series. Replaying it shows just how shallow it was in comparison.

ME2 was the strongest, only because of the ending that mattered on how much you worked with your team. If you ignore the ending, then overall I guess it was kind meh, but you can't really. It was a fairly well thought out ending if not a tad "safe". Some of the team members were kind boring, like Kasumi. opening of ME2 was great.

ME3 gameplay/story ignoring the ending was the most linear out of all the games and overall the weakest. and the ending shit over 10 years of story building for some deus ex machina bullshit.

I thought the ending in ME2 was bad. Only reason ME3's ending was worse is because it was the end of the entire series, but if we're just counting the games individually the ME2 ending was lame and just as bad IMO. And it all came down to how many of the side quests you finished. So it wasn't really working with your team, but merely doing every notable quest available. And grinding with probes to upgrade the Normandy. Only part that mattered was choosing the correct character for the task, which was common sense really. And something about getting a message and waiting a bit to start a quest determined if part of the crew died I suppose. Don't recall the specifics on that but I do know there was something there.

ME3 was the most linear which I didn't like. ME1 was the most "open" although it wasn't very open either. I'd like to see Andromeda expanded a bit but I don't want it to become open world or grind based like MGSV. I'd like to see a return of multiple hub areas but they need to be a bit bigger with options for combat to occur in them, like in ME1. Something to keep them interesting.

I've been reading this guy's take on the ME story. http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=508. There's 38 articles so far and it's still on-going. He's into ME3 now. I find them pretty entertaining. His main point is the issue with ME3 started with the story in ME2. People just didn't realize it until the end. My favorite has always been ME1 so I tend to agree with him.

Last edited:
+1

This. I couldn't give two squirts of piss about Street Fighter's lame ass story or the individual character endings. That's one area where even Mortal Kombat trounces that franchise. It's the gameplay that makes all the difference. Gameplay is enough for some titles to stand on and that's fine. For an RPG, even an action / RPG hybrid like Mass Effect, gameplay mechanics alone aren't enough.

The character development of ME2 was the only redeeming part of that game, everything else was done better either ME1 or ME3, often by both

Even character development was better in Mass Effect 3. Where ME2 shines is the fact that it was able to do the character development as well as it did for such a long list of characters. There were other good things in it, like the expansion of Cerberus as a concept, and as a faction. ME2 had a lot of really good missions in it as well. Gameplay wise, I enjoyed it far more than ME1. ME3 though, I believe would have easily been the crowning achievement in the series were it not for the last hour of it. It really goes off the rails in the last 15 or 20 minutes, but even leading up to that it wasn't very good.

Am I the only one that didn't think the ME3 ending was THAT bad? It wasn't great but I didn't feel disappointed and it certainly didn't sour my enjoyment of what I thought was a great game and one of my all time favourite series?

Am I the only one that didn't think the ME3 ending was THAT bad? It wasn't great but I didn't feel disappointed and it certainly didn't sour my enjoyment of what I thought was a great game and one of my all time favourite series?
I enjoyed getting to the final save, and the final DLC, with the party and combat arena will be my preferred goodbye from the series.

The original ending sucked ass. With the Citadel DLC and updated endings via the Extended Cut DLC, plus the extra dialog and events of Leviathan, I am "ok" with the current game. It's still one of my favorite games of all time, but it could have been a lot better. Us not fighting Harbinger directly and taking him down (from the inside out or something) is a mistake. What we got still has a massive shift in tone from the rest of the series, and even within the same game. It was rushed and it shows.

Not just the fight, the complete absence of Harbinger itself. You didn't even hear his voice in the game, which is majorly disappointing, given how central that particular Reaper is to the entire plot.

My only other major issue being that while the default ME1 Shepard gets imported perfectly through ME2 and 3, the default Femshep is abruptly cut off in ME3.

Beyond that, I have no major complaints to the plot in general. Citadel DLC was by far my favourite part of ME3.

I feel exactly the same. Not great but not bad. Still one of my favorite series as a whole.

Are your opinions from before or after the released the free extended ending patch?

The original ending sucked ass. With the Citadel DLC and updated endings via the Extended Cut DLC, plus the extra dialog and events of Leviathan, I am "ok" with the current game. It's still one of my favorite games of all time, but it could have been a lot better. Us not fighting Harbinger directly and taking him down (from the inside out or something) is a mistake. What we got still has a massive shift in tone from the rest of the series, and even within the same game. It was rushed and it shows.
Makes you wonder what could have been if they said it isn't going to work as a trilogy and broke it up over a few more games.

It's an April Fool's joke. If you read it, the names in it are obviously plays on characters within the first three games. "Connie Verner" for example is a play on "Conrad Verner' from the game. Comments like this one: "From founders like Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, to this morning’s abrupt resignation of Stavros Pelinkovicci, the long-time janitor at BioWare’s office.” also further confirm that it's a joke. No one would know or care about a janitor's resignation.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It's an April Fool's joke. If you read it, the names in it are obviously plays on characters within the first three games. "Connie Verner" for example is a play on "Conrad Verner' from the game. Comments like this one: "From founders like Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, to this morning’s abrupt resignation of Stavros Pelinkovicci, the long-time janitor at BioWare’s office.” also further confirm that it's a joke. No one would know or care about a janitor's resignation.

Aww damn it... I should have known. That's what I get for being in a hurry.

I'll ignore anything I see today. Sorry 'bout that.

Back