Mass Effect 3 SPOILERS THREAD

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Kaloneous/Mass_Effect_3_(True)_Ending_DLC_Revealed

If this is true, a lot of the conversation with the Catalyst would mean so much more. I have a feeling they chose the dialogue very specifically (regarding future and hope as well as the leak, etc).

It would also be just about the most awesome thing BW could do at this point.

Interesting! We will see I guess. That's one way to deal with a leak.

That could be it as well. If a paragon or renegade option exists in a conversation I always choose one of them.

Yeah the way Paragon and Renegade work in general is that you can use EITHER if you have enough total reputation (sum of Paragon and Renegade I guess.). For the TIM convo, you have to have chosen all Paragon or all Renegade every time you've spoken with him throughout the game to be able to ultimately persuade him.

Yeah the way Paragon and Renegade work in general is that you can use EITHER if you have enough total reputation (sum of Paragon and Renegade I guess.). For the TIM convo, you have to have chosen all Paragon or all Renegade every time you've spoken with him throughout the game to be able to ultimately persuade him.

Throughout ME3 or all your saves? TIM just pisses me off, even in my Paragon playthroughs I'll often choose the Renegade option when talking to him. :mad:

Throughout ME3 or all your saves? TIM just pisses me off, even in my Paragon playthroughs I'll often choose the Renegade option when talking to him. :mad:

Its just per playthrough of course. As long as you're consistent with how you treat him, you should be able to get the final option. Doesn't matter if you're Paragon, as long as you choose Renegade the whole way through when it comes to TIM convos. At least that's my understanding.

Its just per playthrough of course. As long as you're consistent with how you treat him, you should be able to get the final option. Doesn't matter if you're Paragon, as long as you choose Renegade the whole way through when it comes to TIM convos. At least that's my understanding.

Thanks, that is helpful. I used my ME3 save to replay as a renegade...I'll see how it goes.

Found this on the Bioware forum

Some twittering with the devs - are we trolled or they are up to something that will blow us all away?

User 1: "I still want to believe you guys are sneaky trolls and have something going on you don't tell us yet. Can I get a cryptic reply?"
@masseffect: "The sun, it shines. www.youtube.com/watch"

User 2: "You are either a massive sadist or a beacon of hope."
@masseffect: "Can't it be both?"

User 3: "I kinda feel lost after that ending...not what I expected and left me feeling everything done was for nothing."
@masseffect: "We know it's a lot to take in! But hang in there. Your decisions matter."

User 4: "Are you holding something back, that could quell the large amount of frustration from the community, a tiny hint would be enough."
@masseffect: "Mike Gamble already said on his twitter, if the fans knew what was in store, the reaction would be different."

User 5: "I loved 98% of ME3..but something has to be up w/ ending..too much talent at BW for that business. Keep my saves?"
@masseffect: "We're keeping our saves, that's for sure."

User 6: "Fans are people too. Playing with their minds isn't that nice as it may look like to people from Bioware."
@masseffect: "We're not playing with anyone's minds, we are answering what questions we can and recording what feedback we receive."

User 7: "Its not that the ending was taken in the wrong direction its that it makes NO SENSE. Ashley was on the Normandy? she [was] with me."
@masseffect: "Probably a good thing to be cautious of."

User 8: "Do y'all have any ETA when more news will be released? Dying for news on a new ending/DLC."
@masseffect: "No ETA yet, but you will be updated via Facebook and Twitter when the news is available :)."

And some more:

User 1 -Well, i think i'll stop naggin you and trying to get you to talk about the indoctrination theory. :( Good game though!
Merizan - I want people to make up their own minds right now, then when more people have played we'll talk :)

User 2 - then I want to SEE that he was lying. I want to get up and finish the fight with Commander Shepard. Then retire.
Merizan - augh. want. to. discuss! Staying spoiler free for now :p

User 3 - But should've confronted the kid instead. Shep went meekly into the night.
Merizan - are you sure he went meekly into the night?

I'm officially getting my hopes up

All I know is I want my endings where I have a bunch of blue daughters or I'm building a beach house on Rannoch.

Oh boy! You mean we might get to pay extra to finish the game we already bought?

I <3 DLC soooooo much.
FWIW one of th rumors is that there's a big free DLC coming. Given some of the free DLCs offered for ME2, this isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

If this was planned, I bet that the DLC will be free. But if it's a reaction to the backlash, I bet they will charge for it.

Oh boy! You mean we might get to pay extra to finish the game we already bought?

I <3 DLC soooooo much.

Maybe if we're lucky they'll throw in the lube for free......

Oh wait, this is EA, lube will be an extra 800 pts.........

If you want it "gently".....another 1000 pts.......

Cuddle after? 1500 pts........

And all my friends wonder why I hate our species so much. Ripley had it right when she said, "You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage", yet humans do it all the time.

Wish I was an Alien. :p

So I just finally finished the game. The ending was a combination of Gurren Lagen and The Matrix. I'm not going to go all emo like half of these forum boards have over it, the game was still enjoyable, but it does make all of your decisions leading up to this point moot and meaningless. At no point in those 3 decisions did any of my actions play a part in crafting them.

I feel so certain that my actions are meaningless that I'm pretty sure that if I didnt spend a minute online and made a bee line from start to finish that the final few missions would have played out exactly the same. But again 10 mins of bad scripting isnt going to turn me emo and make me slit my wrists either. At least I made Joker and EDI happy in the end. To bad Liara's going to have to move on without me though ;(

I <3 DLC soooooo much.

Most likely DLC of this nature would be free. But feel free to take the most negative possible standpoint and work yourself into a suicidal fit over nothing. The rest of us will just wait and see.

Most likely DLC of this nature would be free. But feel free to take the most negative possible standpoint and work yourself into a suicidal fit over nothing. The rest of us will just wait and see.

The only way it could possibly be free is in response to the extreme backlash. So I hope it's free, and I hope it's in part thanks to people who speak out against getting charged more to finish their game.

So people like you who are happy to bend over and say "thank you sir, may I have another?" have a shot at getting it for free.

Edit: Sorry to be a bit of a jerk, but the attitude of "Yes, please, more!" is what's gotten the DLC to the ridiculous levels already. If they successfully release a game, and then manage to charge people to see the ending, they're setting a terrible precedent that will mean I'll likely bow out of (legitimate) PC gaming.

Also, funny:

4pz8qs.jpg

So people like you who are happy to bend over and say "thank you sir, may I have another?" have a shot at getting it for free.

"People like me." Where the fuck did I say anything about being willing to pay for a different ending?

It's really starting to look like my theory (in agreement with others of like mindedness since I can't take full credit for this at all) will pan out. BioWare will release a DLC to show what happens after the "endings".

It's really starting to look like my theory (in agreement with others of like mindedness since I can't take full credit for this at all) will pan out. BioWare will release a DLC to show what happens after the "endings".

That seems to be the current consensus. Maybe some nasty indoctrination going on.

The only way it could possibly be free is in response to the extreme backlash. So I hope it's free, and I hope it's in part thanks to people who speak out against getting charged more to finish their game.

Edit: Sorry to be a bit of a jerk, but the attitude of "Yes, please, more!" is what's gotten the DLC to the ridiculous levels already. If they successfully release a game, and then manage to charge people to see the ending, they're setting a terrible precedent that will mean I'll likely bow out of (legitimate) PC gaming.

Also, funny:

http://i40.tinypic.com/4pz8qs.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Really? I'd say if they charge for it then it IS in response to the backlash. Something along the lines of "if you have no issues with the current ending, great, but if you hate it, buy this one."

If this was planned, and they really didn't have time to finish the ending, then I see no way that they charge for it.

BioWare is epic-awesome if they really trolled us. If this uproar was all planned, wow.

And it has to be free, or else BioWare loses most of my respect.

I've no problems with Shepard dieing in last mission. This could be accepted, as it could be forseen and made sense. The hero sacrificing himself to save the world. Also death /bad ending to main hero was shown in great movies like Gran Torino.

Also forces protecting the world from chaos by destroying humans or things that make us humans - what was shown in Equilibrium, when all the art and emotions are taken away. I really hope, that canon ending would mean death of Shepard.

But please, don't go Ubisoft, when you get the proper ending of Prince of Persia with DLC :p

I've no problems with Shepard dieing in last mission. This could be accepted, as it could be forseen and made sense. The hero sacrificing himself to save the world. Also death /bad ending to main hero was shown in great movies like Gran Torino.

Also forces protecting the world from chaos by destroying humans or things that make us humans - what was shown in Equilibrium, when all the art and emotions are taken away. I really hope, that canon ending would mean death of Shepard.

But please, don't go Ubisoft, when you get the proper ending of Prince of Persia with DLC :p

I think that crap about the hero needing to die in all great epics is bullshit. Furthermore this is a game about choice. We should have a lot of options for how this ends. Not one option with 16 slight variations of it. I've got no problem with Shepard dying necessarily, but I'd like the death to count for more than it does currently, and I'd like an ending that doesn't invalidate everything from the last 3 games up to that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc

Interesting video that explains the kid and the indoctrination throughout the ending. Never noticed that about the kid before.

edit: just thinking back to the other games and the dialog, if indoctrination happens like this, that would mean Saren would have chosen the synthesis ending and illusive man chose the control.

Last edited:
edit: just thinking back to the other games and the dialog, if indoctrination happens like this, that would mean Saren would have chosen the synthesis ending and illusive man chose the control.

Well the ending does specifically show TIM choosing control. Which is somewhat odd, because when Shepard chooses control, he disintegrates and is absorbed into the catalyst. Perhaps because he doesn't have the reaper tech imbedded in him (well, if it isn't all a BS dream anyway).

Interesting video that explains the kid and the indoctrination throughout the ending. Never noticed that about the kid before.

This is a really well done video and definitely worth seeing. I believe that this is the most likely truth.

The indoctrination theory is the only plausible theory out there that would make some sense to the ending. Although it really pisses me off that this means we have to either buy a DLC to see the end (bad business practice) OR in worst case scenario Mass Effect 4. (breaking the promise that this is the finale for Shepards story)

If the indoctrination theory is wrong, Bioware has a lot of explaining to do. BSN forums are a fricking mess. :D (*edit* and are now in lockdown! :eek: ) It seems only real good thing the ending caused was the Childs Play charity drive. People have vented their frustration for 50K$ worth now. :eek:

Last edited:

That video does a great job of explaining everything.

Here's a small article from Forbes that I found interesting: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...and-the-pernicious-myth-of-gamer-entitlement/

That kid just didn't add up for me. Even from the beginning.

My Shep shot TIM down and destroyed the reapers.

I noticed when the kid was explaining about destroying the reapers it showed what appeared to be Anderson shooting the red option.

Bottom line, I didn't trust the other options.

I took the red pill.

I noticed when the kid was explaining about destroying the reapers it showed what appeared to be Anderson shooting the red option.

I took the red pill.

Yeah, I also chose destruction. But at first, it wasn't because it was what Anderson did.

I listened to the boy, he told me that it would destroy the reapers and all synthetic life, but that the peace would not last. I sat there for a moment, and just kind of thought things over, and ultimately, I chose the red option because it fulfilled my purpose of destroying the Reapers.

Who cares that the peace wouldn't last? When does peace ever last? At least in the future, humanity could go into a conflict knowing that they chose this option. That they chose to defy the reapers, regardless of the long-term consequences. I'm pretty sure I'm safe in assuming that everyone here would much rather go out on their own terms rather than some terms imposed upon them by some supreme galactic being (the Reapers and Indoctrination). I don't care if it "upsets the balance". As a people, we reap what we sow. If that happens to be delaying destruction, all right, whatever, but at least it was on our terms.

I wasn't looking for the "correct" ending. I wasn't looking for a strictly Paragon or Renegade ending. I was hoping for an ending that I could get behind, a choice that I could take ownership over and say "This is what I chose" regardless of the consequences.

I didn't get that.

But I took what was given, I absorbed the information the boy provided, and I sat there. And I thought things through, assuming that this was the end, that this decision would impact everything that would follow.

Turns out, if the indoctrination theory is true, my choice was correct. Go figure.

In fact, if the indoctrination theory is true, it's the only "correct" choice (in that if you choose the others, shepard would now be fully indoctrinated, or dead). If you choose destruction, if you choose to defy the reapers and break free of indoctrination, you get to continue the fight. You get to continue on and get the ending you worked for.

Hopefully.

I took the red pill.

Yeah, even when you first meet that kid, the first thing he says is "you can't help me." I thought that was very odd, I kept wondering why the kid would choose those words. Once I saw that it might be Harbinger in Sheps mind, it made sense that he was trying to make Shep feel hopeless and trying to convince shep he can't do anything about what is about to happen.

After that scene and the one where the kid dies, I believe, is the start of the indoctrination. Shep slowly starts losing it all the way through to the end.

Yeah, even when you first meet that kid, the first thing he says is "you can't help me." I thought that was very odd, I kept wondering why the kid would choose those words. Once I saw that it might be Harbinger in Sheps mind, it made sense that he was trying to make Shep feel hopeless and trying to convince shep he can't do anything about what is about to happen.

After that scene and the one where the kid dies, I believe, is the start of the indoctrination. Shep slowly starts losing it all the way through to the end.

what about the old vi thing working for shep but shuts down once lin got there

Didn't see this posted yet, but it seems to clear up a couple questions about wtf Bioware was thinking with the ending

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...tures-removed-due-to-Copyright-9999272-1.html

I posted about it in the discussion thread. All it really says is what we already know and that the ending was planned which doesn't tell us anything. The indoctrination could be part of that plan.

They also mention that they don't plan on releasing post-game DLC. Well if they haven't finished the ending then I wouldn't call that post-game since it would be during-game DLC.

There were a few things in there that actually strengthen the Indoctrination theory...
They wanted speculation about the ending. Well making it seem like a dream created speculation on it being real or not.

The notes mention they wanted it like the Matrix...
Red pill = break free
Red ending = break free

The notes also mention they already thought about an Indoctrination sequence, but couldn't pull it off how they wanted. The thought is there, who's to say they didn't change the indoctrination to how the final scene is now in game. They mentioned they scrapped showing Shep being controlled but never said they gave up trying indoctrination completely. That was back Nov 2011 so they had plenty of time to change it to how it is.

There are too many posts now from Bioware themselves that shows they have something planned. After the first ending was leaked I doubt they would give this journalist access to any thing that we didn't already know. I'm not changing how I think about the ending until Bioware says otherwise.

what about the old vi thing working for shep but shuts down once lin got there

That could be that Shep wasn't completely indoctrinated at that point. It's a slow process that doesn't come to a climax until the very end of the game. The VI may only be able to detect fully indoctrinated people. When Shep talks to it, he's only in the process of being indoctrinated, not fully indoctrinated until he chooses the blue or green endings.

Yep, it seemed like only Shep notices or "sees" the kid. Anderson does not, and no one helps him onto the shuttle before it is destroyed. If he was there why
wouldn't a soldier pull him or help him into the shuttle?

It's interesting how shadows and their voices appear and grow in Shep's dreams with the kid too.

It all seems geared to make him lose morale so he will be more pliable.

IMO Shep isn't indoctrinated, he's in the process of being indoctrinated. He's not facing the late or final stages of it until the end of the game.

I guess we will see. The next few weeks may be interesting.

Last edited:
Tali, Liara, and Garrus are three of the best side-characters in the history of video games. Not really stereotypes, great voice-acting, interesting histories, and creative species. I want them back.

Screw my first impressions. I hate the ending now. They need to make a DLC or ME4 and make the ending a happy one. LOTR had a happy ending. Star Wars had a happy ending. The Odyssey had a happy ending. Who's forgetting those epics any time soon?

Back