Mass Effect 3 Leaked Online

There is a huge difference between pirating an XB game and a PC game. PC games get downloaded by the tends of missions, while XB games in the tens of thousands. I checked back in COD3 that it was downloaded over 10 million times for the PC and only about 10,000 times for the Xbox. Its numbers like that, that really drive companies away from doing PC exclusive games anymore. Yes there is piracy on the XB, but it comes at a cost. You cant play them online, you need to do a physical mod to your box, and you run the risk of it getting bricked or banned by MS.

Dev's need to do something to slow down pirates (you cant stop them!). The only way to do it that has had ANY effect is online content. MMO's have a FRACTION of the piracy that non-online games have because its dependant on a server. I have sene some hacked copy's of WoW that has its own server, but the people who use that is a small fraction vs those who pay.

Sorry but you're a fool. It's a myth that online helps piracy or encourages people to buy more. Forcing online into a game only hurts the entire experience and the game will end up dead within a month. Trying to stop piracy is utterly pointless. Publishers need to focus on making good games and giving gamers games without insane levels of DRM. You're still going to get a lot of piracy no matter what. There is no solution to it, pirates will always be douchebags.

yeah why is this news? the scene will pre releases usually 1-2 weeks before official release

Sorry but you're a fool. It's a myth that online helps piracy or encourages people to buy more. Forcing online into a game only hurts the entire experience and the game will end up dead within a month. Trying to stop piracy is utterly pointless. Publishers need to focus on making good games and giving gamers games without insane levels of DRM. You're still going to get a lot of piracy no matter what. There is no solution to it, pirates will always be douchebags.

No it's not.

Multiple academic studies including the swiss government have shown otherwise. The myth is that piracy hurts sales, yet that persists.

No it's not.

Multiple academic studies including the swiss government have shown otherwise. The myth is that piracy hurts sales, yet that persists.

When the online portion is good sure. The problem is 90% of the time it's done just to have a little tick mark on the back of the box and the online is complete shit or at best boring and generic. It also drastically harms the single player. In that case sure piracy is lower, but so are sales it's kind of in proportion because there is little point in pirating a bad game just as there is no point in buying it.

If Bioware were truly worried about sales, they wouldn't have the Launch(first) day "From Ashes" DLC exclusive to Collector's Edition copies nor charge $10 extra for regular owners.

Dammit, all the torrent sites have Xbox 360 and PS3. PC gaming is suppose to rain supreme in this department! How dare they!

I'm putting off purchasing the game for a while. Why wait you might ask?

1) There are usually quest bugs to be fixed when an RPG is released. World of Warcraft, Dragon Age: Origins, Skyrim, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Guild Wars, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas spring to mind.

2) Playability and stability bugs.

3) DLC available on launch day? Seriously?

I used to be an early adopter but now I prefer to wait until the game is out, problems fixed and all DLC for the game available as well as reviews from both reviewers and users via Metacritic and other sites.

Piracy adds an additional layer of pain upon this entire process.

I'm putting off purchasing the game for a while. Why wait you might ask?

1) There are usually quest bugs to be fixed when an RPG is released. World of Warcraft, Dragon Age: Origins, Skyrim, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Guild Wars, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas spring to mind.

2) Playability and stability bugs.

3) DLC available on launch day? Seriously?

I used to be an early adopter but now I prefer to wait until the game is out, problems fixed and all DLC for the game available as well as reviews from both reviewers and users via Metacritic and other sites.

Piracy adds an additional layer of pain upon this entire process.

ME2 had launch day DLC. As I recall though, it was free.

It wont affect my buying it, since I still don't intend to do so. I absolutely refuse to install Origin on my computer. Besides, I have a gut feeling about ME3, and it's not a good one.

This won't effect me because I do not pirate software. I really enjoy the Mass Effect series and I have no reason to think Mass Effect 3 will disappoint. Oh there are all the nay sayers, as usual but every popular game seems to bring all the whiners and complainers out of the wood work. But that's OK, I don't listen to them anyway.

Since when is firmware modification a hardware / physical modification ?
You do realize that pirating on xbox can actually be easier in the long run, dont you?
And again it is the xbox version that can actually be played not the pc one...

I won't be getting my copy till friday or monday of next week (gamestop super saver shipping -_______-) :(

Given that EA are going likely to go down the road of excessive DLC for this title, I cancelled my pre-order and intend to pick up the game when its around the $10 - $15 mark along with all the compelling DLC.

One of the benefits of having too large a backlog of games, and for an SP experience I am in no rush to play this.

calm down guys. the game got leaked, but there is no crack or key to actually play it. so it's technically also preloaded for people that downloaded the game!

I wonder if this came from those copies they strapped to baloons...

Won't work. The unlock is server side, not client side.

Interestingly until valve added that annoying "preload" thing, it used to work with some steam games! :D

The whole point of mass effect was that it was supposed to be a throw back to the old school space operas of the 60s and 70s. Battlestar, TOS. The story has never been Shakespear and you'd be an idiot to expect it to be.

Since when is firmware modification a hardware / physical modification ?
You do realize that pirating on xbox can actually be easier in the long run, dont you?
And again it is the xbox version that can actually be played not the pc one...

That's why I hacked my Xbox 360. It's so easy, no wonder it's #1.

After my less than stellar experiences with SWTOR and BF3 i doubt ill be buying this until it hits the $15 or $20 range in the bargain bin. Thats about how much of a hit it will need for me to want to deal with origin any more than i have to

And do you think that reporting this will decrease the number of people pirating it or decrease it? You know, you can talk about this trend of games being leaked to torrent sites with great dismay and say hopefully it doesn't affect sales until you're blue in the face, but the post reeks of hypocrisy.

And do you think that reporting this will decrease the number of people pirating it or decrease it? You know, you can talk about this trend of games being leaked to torrent sites with great dismay and say hopefully it doesn't affect sales until you're blue in the face, but the post reeks of hypocrisy.

The people who are going to pirate it would have found out about it from their favorite torrent or warez sites anyway, it makes no difference.

Its not uncommon for bit titles to get leaked early.

It's an EA title so take this news with a grain of salt. Leaked or not, it's not like this was from a well respected publisher. And to answer your question, the reason why new games, movies and music are always released on Tuesday is that Tuesday is traditionaly the slowest retail day of the week. In order to help boost daily retail numbers it helps the store maintain a healthy sales level throughout the slow time of the week, and allows the retailer time to prepare a suitable stock for the high retail days of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

And people have to remember that publishers have to do what stores want. Ever wonder why things cost the same digital as retail? Reason is if they undercut the retail stores, the stores will blacklist them and then they are fucked. Most game sales are still physical. Ya we [H] types are all about buying digitally but we are the minority. Most sales are physical. And yes, retailers ARE vindictive. If they see you screwing them over, they'll screw you over. They'll refuse to stock your product and use the shelf space for something else.

So releases happen on the schedule that makes retailers happy.

I hope they don't take this news with a grain of salt. I hope they instead crack down on all the factories that have employees "leaking" these things time after time, often weeks before release. That part of 360 pirating gets ignored all the time.

no worries. this shit will still sell millions.
well that's the hope of companies putting all that money into it, without big franchises games are lucky to sell a million esp if they aren't on the big platforms, pc xbox ps3

Same engine as ME 1 and ME 2 right? They didn't spend enough money on ME3 for me to care.

They added multilayer to try and make people not want to pirate the game. Well... I could go on listing the same things everyone else did for why they arent going to buy the game, but my beef besides origin is that the game looks the same as ME1 which for me was long enough ago that they should have an engine that doesn't look like shit.

The level design is so bland I feel like im playing a game from 2000.

^For all its faults, BF3 raised the bar on what I except visually from a game. The levels need to have that clutter, let that dust blow around.

I'm with a few others on here who have basically given up on buying big titles at launch. It's just not worth it, for all the reasons that have been listed (bugs, DLC, etc). I hope they do like they have with some other titles where they drop the stupid DRM a little while after launch.

In an age when piracy is running rampant, at this point, it's the fault of the developers for not keeping their work on servers/systems that cant be accessed by the outside world. It's just common fucking sense.

Some developers understand this, and have done as much, taking responsibility for keeping their own product safe, because they're well aware that we live in a an uncivilized world of thieves. Humans, by nature, are both scum and fundamentally insane... it's only getting worse.

If you don't want you shit stolen, don't keep it on servers/systems that are connected to the god damn net, because everyone knows for a fact that some thieving, hacking asshole is going to attempt to steal your shit.

Put the demo online, keep the rest on servers that cannot be accessed. Why is that some devs have figured this out, while others continue to lack completely in common sense? There's no need for servers/systems to be connected to, or able to be reached by, the net, unless it's an MMO and you're doing testing. Even if it has multiplayer, that can be tested in-house locally.

Don't even put it up on servers for digital download until the official sale date. While pre-loading is nice, it's not necessary. Keep it the hell away from net access until the damn thing is due to be released.

Yes, the real problem is that people need to get some fucking scruples, morals, honor, respect etc. but that's never going to happen in this world, so the rest of us need to be smarter and more vigilant.

Aside from the fact that, when releasing a game that's not being shipped feature-complete, i.e. a main playable character (Prothean) being finished before the game shipped but not included in the full game, only available as DLC, you're going to piss a lot of people off, because that "business model", if you can call it that, is broken, thieving bullshit in and of itself.

You're not talking about some extra cosmetic bullshit. You're talking about a main character that's been integral to the series' story since the beginning. You're only inviting even further, people feeling slighted, hence wanting to play out their "vengeance" by pirating the game.

So, especially if you're going to pull shit like that, it's your own damn fault if you don't keep your shit off servers/systems that are not accessible by way of the digital shit-hole that is known as the net.

All I know is I can't wait for my Collector's Edition :D

I ordered a physical copy :mad: Got it for $61 at Best Buy after "release day shipping" ($8), taxes and the standard purchase price because I had a pile of Best Buy gift cards. So I can't preload, and I'll have to wait for the DVD-based install. #FirstWorldProblems

I really should reconnect my DVD drive though.

This isn't news, games have been leaking early for years. Especially with the new xbox 360, console pirating has been a huge thing lately since there are no time locks. PC can't even be cracked until release day. Yet developers still refuse to release games on PC due to pirating :rolleyes:

This isn't news, games have been leaking early for years. Especially with the new xbox 360, console pirating has been a huge thing lately since there are no time locks. PC can't even be cracked until release day. Yet developers still refuse to release games on PC due to pirating :rolleyes:

No joke. PC version is not even cracked and cannot be cracked until the release day. All this while people are already playing pirated versions on the Xbox 360. But PC pirating is the problem, right?

There is a huge difference between pirating an XB game and a PC game. PC games get downloaded by the tends of missions, while XB games in the tens of thousands. I checked back in COD3 that it was downloaded over 10 million times for the PC and only about 10,000 times for the Xbox. Its numbers like that, that really drive companies away from doing PC exclusive games anymore. Yes there is piracy on the XB, but it comes at a cost. You cant play them online, you need to do a physical mod to your box, and you run the risk of it getting bricked or banned by MS.

Dev's need to do something to slow down pirates (you cant stop them!). The only way to do it that has had ANY effect is online content. MMO's have a FRACTION of the piracy that non-online games have because its dependant on a server. I have sene some hacked copy's of WoW that has its own server, but the people who use that is a small fraction vs those who pay.

Actually yes, you can play online with a firmware modded xbox 360.

No MS can not brick your xbox 360 (only you can brick it by fucking up the firmware on your drive which is very hard to do now a days)

Even if you get console banned (which for someone who stays aware of updates and is careful will take a long time to happen) you can just buy another one for almost $50 now a days, the cost of the game you just stole. You still get to keep your gamertag as MS encourages you to buy a new one by doing it this way.

I loved ME1, ME2 they took away the amazing inventory and weapon modding system, and the overall game was "meh".

I played the demo for ME3 and wasn't really impressed (wtf @ the run animation on the captain?). Unfortunately from what I hear, the story wrap-up makes 0 sense.

I'll wait for it to hit $15-20 like I am for FF13-2. Games just aren't worth $60 anymore.

Back