Mass Effect 3 Demo's Out

shantd

Gawd
Anybody tried it yet? I downloaded the PS3 version last night. Fantastic. You get 2 separate stages to play through, the 2nd one ends in quite a climax but I won't give it away. In terms of shooting mechanics and overall feel, it doesn't seem to have improved/changed over ME2 in any discernible way, but you do have a couple new options like a melee kill and movement while in cover.

Unfortunately, we don't get any taste of the "crafting" (I'm suspicious it's just a bench where you can swap upgraded parts on your guns, rather than true crafting), Normandy, or the Citadel. But for a demo, they sure did provide a healthy amount of gameplay. Definitely, you should all check it out.

It's up on PSN, XBL, and for PC you go to www.masseffect.com

PS - If anybody downloads the PC demo, please confirm whether it offers native controller support. ME1 and ME2 did not, and if they continue that tradition with ME3, I'll be getting it on ps3.

Played PS3 version too....I was all upset at not being able to try multiplayer, but I guess that is for early access and it's open for everyone on the 17 or 18th I forget.

I liked the improved way you upgrade your abilities when you level up, that seems a little more in depth or at least more variety.

I liked how the weapons and armor still get upgrades, even though they dumbed it down quite a bit in ME2, it looks like it's going to be similar to how that way, but at least it's still there.

Combat feels good...weapons feel slightly improved....as in each different weapon has it's own purpose and advantage based on your situation. In ME1 and 2 I just used anything and I still kicked the crap out of everyone...it didn't really feel like I needed to switch between weapons to make a difference. I found myself switch between shotgun and pistol and machine gun based on what type of enemy and how close I was, and it seemed to be more realistic.

I hope for another good 40 hours plus of solid story and gameplay out of ME3...demo felt good and I can't wait to get back to the ME universe!

Yeah I was really bummed out about the tiny amount of weapons in ME2, I actually liked the weapon system in ME1. It kept you on the lookout for a new and improved gun. It looks like they're keeping the same ME2 system in ME3, but including more weapons and even upgrades for each weapon. I would prefer to buy new guns/parts from shops spread about the galaxy along with a currency system. I don't like that they just scatter upgrades right along your path during levels. Oh well, we can't have everything.

Here's hoping the 'upgrade bench' has some actual crafting element to it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ME1 was a nightmare when it came to the weapon inventories. I did like the ammo better but all the sorting between the crew was highly annoying.

I'll give you that, but considering all the guns I'd trade it for a cleaner inventory any day.

The MP portion of the demo is now available to everyone. Anybody tried it yet? Seems kinda fun, but all I've played so far is the mode where you just kill waves and waves of enemies. I'm not even sure if there is a competitive gameplay mode.

My impressions thus far is that they should've put those resources into the campaign instead.

I was going to avoid the demo so I don't get stuck having to replay the same area in the real game (a la Amalur).
Do you get anything special in-game if you play through the demo?

Not sure what they are trying to accomplish. MP used to be an antipiracy method since you need a key to play online. Yes, I know there are total hacks of that. But the MP market is saturated and this is no CoD clone. Bioshock 2 did the same thing and what came of that? Same with other games. Without a built in fanbase they just are not going to get any traction, nor will it when you browse and see 30 games happening with only a few people in each.

I was going to avoid the demo so I don't get stuck having to replay the same area in the real game (a la Amalur).
Do you get anything special in-game if you play through the demo?

You do get something for playing the demo but not for ME3. You get some armor and weapons for Kingdom of Amular.

Back