Mass Drop - MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Aero 8G OC $429.99.

Nope! This should be priced at $379 just like nvidia said!
giphy.gif

Newegg has it listed at $409 + $5 shipping at the moment although it is out of stock.

MSI Aero is their lowest quality version. The Gaming G1 is on newegg for $429 and the EVGA SC 1070 is $429 on newegg.

Why the hell did you think this was a hot deal?!

They want $469.99 + 4.99 s/h for any of the high end Gtx 1070s on newegg... MADNESS!! what happened with the $379 price mark?

wtf is massdrop?
It is a site you can (sometimes) get various items ranging from board games to electronics to camping gear to fan art for a good price by committing to a "drop". A drop is an item (or bundle of items) that will be purchased in bulk by Massdrop and sent from them to you. This (usually) results in a cheaper price. Based on the number of people who commit to a drop, the price can sink from certain tiers to new ones, saving you (potentially) more money.

It's decent for board games and some art in my experience. Electronics almost never. Shipping can be high as well.

IMHO, GPU is not a deal at all here.

I've been signed up for Massdrop a while but never bought anything from them. Their prices always seem not that great once you add shipping. I think I saw they were shipping these in August too.

As for Massdrop...they occasionally have some decent deals on audio equipment and board games, but a lot of the stuff they sell is overpriced in the first place. And usually you are looking at like a ~$5-10 difference over Amazon for most items.

Even then, you generally have to wait X days for the drop to end and then wait for the slowest shipping method possible. Oh, and you generally have to pay for shipping as well.

It is a site you can (sometimes) get various items ranging from board games to electronics to camping gear to fan art for a good price by committing to a "drop". A drop is an item (or bundle of items) that will be purchased in bulk by Massdrop and sent from them to you. This (usually) results in a cheaper price. Based on the number of people who commit to a drop, the price can sink from certain tiers to new ones, saving you (potentially) more money.

It's decent for board games and some art in my experience. Electronics almost never. Shipping can be high as well.

IMHO, GPU is not a deal at all here.

I think it's mostly known by audio enthusiasts. I got my Mayflower ODAC/AMP on there for what was at the time a pretty decent price. Took forever to get here though. I also got into one of their grab bags for 20 bucks and got earphones worth 100. YMMV

Guys, do your research on the 1070 before you buy it. If you have a 980 ti, it's still faster in several games. Hit up the reviews, especially the hands-on reviews on Youtube.

Sounds like the 1070 over-clocked does pull ahead of the 980 ti in everything tho

Also saw that the texture load is very very fast over the 980 ti in everything.

I had a 1080 for a few weeks and sold it for a slight profit on craigslist. For now, at 1080p. My 980 ti is plenty fast. I do plan on buying the 1080 ti when it's released.

How often does this happens? That a GPU sells above is factory price. I just got into pc gaming recently. Do prices always go up for the first month and than stabilized?

Nvidia never set the price for all custom cards, they merely established where the price floor was. People are getting butt hurt about it because they want custom cards with LEDs and huge coolers for $379.

Last edited:
Nvidia never set the price for all custom cards, they merely established where the price floor was. People are getting butt hurt about it because they want custom cards with LEDs and huge coolers for $379.

Does this mean that the GTX 1060 is not going to be selling for $250 and we are going to be expected to pay up to $300?

Does this mean that the GTX 1060 is not going to be selling for $250 and we are going to be expected to pay up to $300?

It means the cards will be $250 and up. The $250 (or close to it) options will likely have stock PCBs + acceptable coolers while the ones close to $300 will have better coolers and better PCBs.

Last edited:
This is afaik the first time it's happened.

Definitely not. The 5870s and GTX 480s had inflated prices for the first couple weeks and bunch of other high-demand cards.

What's driving up the price so much for so long this time, in large part instead of just normal supply/demand, is nVidia's initial chip allocations went to FEs which have elevated MSRP to begin with. AIBs are just now getting a reasonable supply of chips. It's all part of nV's strategy to condition the market to higher baseline prices.

Definitely not. The 5870s and GTX 480s had inflated prices for the first couple weeks and bunch of other high-demand cards.

Those were priced above MSRP.

$429.99 is MSRP on this card.

NVIDIA can talk $379 MSRP all they want, but they don't set an AIB card manufacturer's MSRP.

That's what I'm saying. $379 was never MSRP on 1070 (nV's own FE isn't $379). It's smoke and mirrors to get consumers accustomed to a higher price baseline. The $379 announced MSRP is illusory and meant to be a psychological sugar coating to help the new adjusted price model gone down easier. The FE is likely a transitionary tool in this respect, and once nV decides not to do it anymore (next refresh or the following) the prices will come in higher -- because the precedent has been set.

This is right out of a retail marketing/pricing theory book. I can't believe people still don't get that there won't be a $379 card (well, there might be a couple hundred of them so nV has deniability).

AMD really needs a competitive card so NV will have to drop their prices. As long as NV has a monopoly, they will charge (and get) what they want.

I know it has been mentioned before but shipping will take up to two MONTHS after sale is done. Purchased several items from Massdrop over the last year (some high end) and shipping time was always 6 to 8 weeks. Nevret again.

By the time you actually get the card you'll probably be able to purchase for much less and have it in your hands in a couple days.

However, this could be a decent deal for non US peeps. Have a friend who liuves in Australia and he said this card costs upwards of $800 when you can find one.

Back