Maryland LAN Gamers Lan 9/30-10/2

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
This is a LAN around DC Metro area, usually a good crowd (around 30-40 people)

Starts at 9:00 PM on Friday until 12:00 PM Sunday afternoon (nearly 40 hours of non-stop gaming)

LOCATION: Greenbelt Volunteer Fire Department, 125 Crescent Road, Greenbelt, MD

$30 to attend

Here are some more details of the LAN:

http://www.marylandlangamers.net/

Yeah you can close it out, got canceled which sucks, only had 16 prepay, 20 was needed for the LAN to go on. Its Sad to say but the DC/Baltimore area is not a LAN party friendly area anymore..

Yeah you can close it out, got canceled which sucks, only had 16 prepay, 20 was needed for the LAN to go on. Its Sad to say but the DC/Baltimore area is not a LAN party friendly area anymore..

Neither is philly. You're going to FITES again this year? Their registration is open.

Its in february so no post here yet. Last year FITES came in and made the post so maybe theyll do it again.

All the details is at fites.net

BTW there is another LAN going on this weekend at the same location from 9pm Friday til 12 noon Sunday.

I'm based in NoVA and close enough to MD to be interested in trying out some LAN gaming, but alas, I don't have a gaming laptop and hauling around 50lbs of PC + monitor + peripherals is a bit of a pain to go through. The DC metro area just seems lacking in organized gaming communities in general, and no gaming conventions to speak of.

Actually the DC area has a ton of organized gaming, it's just all console. Tons of tournaments, regular competitions and get togethers, a slew of different events, and conventions as well (namely for fighting games), plus a ton of people that travel as well to NYC and other areas on a regular basis.

Fighters, Madden, COD, and Warhammer related games are all pretty huge around here. Though unless you want to play Warhammer RTS gamers it's strictly console. The Games Workshop, and various anime/comic conventions are all gaming conventions as well, but again, unless you play warhammer RTS it's console.

It is kind of depressing that, other than BethSoft, there isn't a single other PC game developer I can think of in the region.

It is kind of depressing that, other than BethSoft, there isn't a single other PC game developer I can think of in the region.

I don't really see what that has to do with gaming events or the lack there of. Most places don't have that many developers around them.

The area used to have a huge LAN scene for Tribes, Quake, Unreal. Madden, fighters, have always been huge. But as sci-fi shooters slowly died off for CS, BF, and games like that the LAN scene died off with the games. It's not that those people aren't still around, they are. It's just that they don't play modern FPS games that involve iron sights, reloading and all of that. And with the demise of competitive Quake and Tribes (at least from the extent they once were) nobody is throwing massive LANs. They used to happen all the time.

The Baltimore convention center has several comic or anime conventions through the year. Which do have a fuck ton of people and a ton of video games as well. They also host Games Day for Games Workshop and they have a fair amount of gaming titles related to their IP (Baltimore is, or at least was, their USA headquarter branch).

You can get up to NYC for 20 bucks or so for a day trip and there are a ton of gaming conventions up there.

Maybe the new Tribes will bring people back out, that was always the game that drew crowds in this are on the PC side, who knows!

Well Luckily for me I do have a gaming laptop so the haul was easy but I do understand the hassles in the DC area when it comes to LAN gaming. Besides the Maryland LAN gamers lan's there really is not much else. Was a decent turnout for the time I was there but with the fact that most games still require steam we ran into a problem as the firehouse only had a 1.5/256k DSL line and that got clobbered with just basic network traffic.

There is also Insidegamers LAN in Hanover, MD which happens every once in awhile. The Insidegamers LAN parties use to go on at least every other month. The problem is, there were less and less people wanting to lug all their gear out, so the host stopped running it as much.

Yeah I know the guy who does it. I am hopping we can do one soon. With that LAN its usually 15-20 people and with the bandwidth that the location has its really fun.

Back