Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (PC)

Pre-Loading implies that you pre-ordered. Which is a terrible thing to do.
With this game? Not much chance there will be massive issues. I've played every single one of these Sony PS ports day one, and they've all been solid. Even so, if you pre-ordered on steam you have the standard refund policy. So if it does turn out to have issues, you can still refund it.

With this game? Not much chance there will be massive issues. I've played every single one of these Sony PS ports day one, and they've all been solid. Even so, if you pre-ordered on steam you have the standard refund policy. So if it does turn out to have issues, you can still refund it.

Spider-Man has the most PC specific features so there's a higher chance of issues popping up than with Horizon Zero Dawn (which had its own issues at launch) and God of War...we'll find out tomorrow when the review embargo lifts...I'm expecting excellent reviews (in the 9/10 range)

Pre-Loading implies that you pre-ordered. Which is a terrible thing to do.
Uh did you read my post? ;). I was talking about games I had already closed beta'd for.

Mmorpg is a different animal than some random new game no one's played, regardless (personal experience, or guild mates showing you stuff, leaks, etc.). There's also a real reason competitively to want to be in day 1 minute 1.

Last edited:
Pre-Ordering is telling the publisher that they need to pay their marketing department more than their developers. No joke, no hyperbole. Games are getting buggier and more slimy, less finished, and marketing departments are being paid more and more and its because publishers (yes, including Sony) are pushing pre-orders more than actual sales. So much literature goes into industry pep-talks about how the vast majority of a game's sales comes from the first week, blah blah etc etc and these publishers will do ANYTHING, include lie, cheat and outright steal* to get those pre-orders. including holding back monetization features and any information on them until after sanctioned day-zero reviews, shipping abjectly unfinished, broken software, not including features advertised without any prior indication that they will be post-launch and the list goes on.

So I'm not lying when I say publishers can and do spend more on marketing to get the pre-orders flowing than developing their products: you aren't buying a game when you pre-order. You're buying nothing, literally. you're buying the feels an advertisement gave you: money leaves your bank/card and in return you get nothing. You're not buying a place in-line. It's not a finite commodity, its a infinitely reproducible digital good that does not require you to leave your house. That's some fucking POWERFUL psychological evidence promoting publishers to continue this practice. When you pre-order you're saying "I want to give your marketing department credit for my sale, and I like it that way"

refunds are a step in the right direction, but MANY of the issues addressed above are immune to such things.

*steal meaning taking a customer's money and giving them nothing or not what they asked for.

Uh did you read my post? ;). I was talking about games I had already closed beta'd for.

Mmorpg is a different animal than some random new game no one's played, regardless (personal experience, or guild mates showing you stuff, leaks, etc.). There's also a real reason competitively to want to be in day 1 minute 1.
Closed betas? so NOTHING changes from closed beta to final? No bugs get introduced? No advertised content gets cut to then be re-sold as DLC? No random-chance monetization gets added after the fact? The game gets finished?

Pre-Ordering is telling the publisher that they need to pay their marketing department more than their developers. No joke, no hyperbole. Games are getting buggier and more slimy, less finished, and marketing departments are being paid more and more and its because publishers (yes, including Sony) are pushing pre-orders more than actual sales. So much literature goes into industry pep-talks about how the vast majority of a game's sales comes from the first week, blah blah etc etc and these publishers will do ANYTHING, include lie, cheat and outright steal* to get those pre-orders. including holding back monetization features and any information on them until after sanctioned day-zero reviews, shipping abjectly unfinished, broken software, not including features advertised without any prior indication that they will be post-launch and the list goes on.

So I'm not lying when I say publishers can and do spend more on marketing to get the pre-orders flowing than developing their products: you aren't buying a game when you pre-order. You're buying nothing, literally. you're buying the feels an advertisement gave you: money leaves your bank/card and in return you get nothing. You're not buying a place in-line. It's not a finite commodity, its a infinitely reproducible digital good that does not require you to leave your house. That's some fucking POWERFUL psychological evidence promoting publishers to continue this practice. When you pre-order you're saying "I want to give your marketing department credit for my sale, and I like it that way"

refunds are a step in the right direction, but MANY of the issues addressed above are immune to such things.

*steal meaning taking a customer's money and giving them nothing or not what they asked for.
Ok, we get it, you don't like pre-orders.

Ok, we get it, you don't like pre-orders.
Hey, pre-order as much as you want: however I will receive full "I told you so" rights when the game comes out in a buggy, unfinished state, or is missing features promised or changes monetization days after launch.

At least this many (this is from April): https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-to-use-a-ps5-dualsense-controller-on-pc

I'm going to tinker with DualSenseX and see if I can get things rolling wirelessly. My PC is on the other side of the room, so rocking a long ass wire for special features isn't happening.
Add these to the list:
  • Dolmen
  • F1 22
  • Hitman 3
DualsenseX can add adaptive trigger support to some games, but haptic feedback isn't supported yet, as far as I know. The game may need to be programmed specifically to take advantage of haptic feedback since it's different from traditional rumble.

Add these to the list:
  • Dolmen
  • F1 22
  • Hitman 3
DualsenseX can add adaptive trigger support to some games, but haptic feedback isn't supported yet, as far as I know. The game may need to be programmed specifically to take advantage of haptic feedback since it's different from traditional rumble.
Apparently, Valhalla has full adaptive & haptic trigger support as well.

Hey, pre-order as much as you want: however I will receive full "I told you so" rights when the game comes out in a buggy, unfinished state, or is missing features promised or changes monetization days after launch.

most games are better off a few months post-release after a few patches but with certain developers and games that are really well received it's hard to wait (Elden Ring)...I always play From Software games on Day 1 but for some reason I decided to wait 5 months to play...was definitely a better experience after 5 major patches but there's also something about the Day 1 experience that is unique and special

I usually try not to pre-order but with the deals that sites like GMG and Fanatical run it's usually $10 or so cheaper to pre-order as opposed to waiting.

As to the pre-load; I think Valve could do a lot to optimize the decryption process. On my 5900x it only used like 6% of the CPU (and barely any of the NVME drive) when decrypting Elden Ring so it would have been much faster to just delete the pre-load and download the game at release.

that's a bigger list of games then I thought...I might buy one just to test it out

I can't speak for the additional features, but it's a solid controller out of the box even without 'em. It pairs via Bluetooth sans any issues. I ran all sorts of tests in Tekken and Street Fighter it never dropped any inputs. The caveat is that every game in the last 10'ish years was built to have Xbox pad support. That means all of the in-game prompts feature the XAYB layout. Only certain newer games have prompts for the PS layout. That seems to baffle players that aren't used to it. Honestly, I don't even notice. The default mapping for nearly everything on Steam = the same, so I don't even think about it.

Spider-Man Remastered PC review

One of the things I was most looking forward to about getting Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered on PC was the possibility of swinging across New York City at 100+ fps...of course, this is an open-world game...the draw distance and textures in remastered version were all bumped up for modern-gen consoles...there was obviously a good chance that actually obtaining higher framerate would be easier said than done...even with an RTX 3090 and running the game at 1440p, this proves to be an even bigger pipe dream than I had imagined

While swinging through the city, I simply couldn’t get frames to consistently stay over 60 no matter what resolutions or settings I tried...the game rapidly fluctuates between 50-80 whenever the ground is visible...sure, I have moments where the fps will hit the mid 80s, but I found it better to have the game at 4K and keep things at a solid 50-60 instead...that being said, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered looks phenomenal....

https://www.pcinvasion.com/marvels-spider-man-remastered-pc-review/

Last edited:
That seems encouraging. It's probably worth tinkering with combinations of RT and DLSS settings to find a sweet spot.

"Testing both DLSS and ITGI at their balanced presets, there's a noticeable improvement to GPU utilization but a smaller one on perceivable frame rates, given the open world's heavy reliance on CPU power...that's combined with an equally noticeable degradation to image quality, with ray-traced reflections suffering the most...most notably when using DLSS, reflections feature a lot more noise when upscaled, to the point where they can seem in motion on static objects in some cases (scenes where rain is present are particularly bothersome)--a far cry from the pristine representation at native resolution rendering...it's, thankfully, far less noticeable in motion, but it might be too big of a concession given that your performance uplift could be negligible depending on your choice of processor, and whether or not the game is actually GPU-limited in most scenarios"

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/marvels-spider-man-review-amazing-fantasy/1900-6416975/

KB/M controls

The thrilling web-swinging and complex slugfests of Insomniac's open-world Spidey game feel so specifically tailored to a PlayStation controller that I couldn't imagine how anyone could feasibly translate it to the PC's traditional control scheme...yet not only is Spider-Man Remastered perfectly playable on keyboard and mouse, in some ways it's superior to the PS4 experience

Swinging through the New York skyline was always the best bit of Insomniac's title – with the Ratchet & Clank studio delivering possibly the best movement system in any game of the last decade...traversing Manhattan as Spidey is equally enjoyable on PC, only now you press and hold left-shift to start and maintain a swing, interspersed with deft taps of the spacebar to add little bursts of straight-line speed...but it's the addition of mouse control that really gives the PC version an edge, letting you slip through tiny gaps between tenements and skyscrapers in a much smoother fashion than with a pad...Spidey's web-swinging was designed to make you feel like an experienced superhero in his element, and the mouse makes inhabiting this fantasy that much easier

Combat, too, is surprisingly at home on keyboard and mouse, considering how involved Spidey's fighting style is...the only notable console hangover is that Spidey's web abilities are chosen from a selection wheel brought up by holding down middle-mouse...but not only does using this quickly become intuitive, the fact that it pauses the action also allows a moment to figure out your next move...it’s also worth noting that, as you’d expect, the controls can be completely rebound, so if there’s something you don’t like about Nixxes' control scheme, you can change it...

https://www.pcgamer.com/spider-man-remastered-review/

The issue with KBM on games like this is from the limited input of WASD. The left joystick on a gamepad obviously gives you a lot more precise directional input.
I played all the Arkham games, Assassin's Creed games, Shadow of Mordor/War, and Witcher 3 with KBM even though most people wouldn't. What you end up doing is using your camera angle (mouse) to quickly fill in the gaps between WASD. It's quite tricky and usually involves flinging your camera all over the place. It requires a precise mouse hand, fast reflexes, and situational awareness.

The biggest problem with controllers has always been the right joystick. Any game that involves rotating a camera, I play with KBM. I just can't tolerate the slow camera rotation of a joystick. In my experience the benefits of a mouse nearly always outweigh the benefits of a left joystick.

Last edited:
I never played the PS versions but I always assumed that the first Spidey game was the best one but apparently the Miles Morales game is better overall

I never played the PS versions but I always assumed that the first Spidey game was the best one but apparently the Miles Morales game is better overall

It’s not really clear cut like that. This game has a better story and I think the side characters (and main villains) are done a little better. That’s not to say MM does any of those bad, just that it definitely feels like a side-game to lead into the sequel. That said, MM does marginally improve the web swinging and I like the side activities better. MM also looks better graphically and animations are improved.

To me I feel more like MM was originally planned as a DLC that they noticed, hey we have a lot more content here than we thought so why don't we just make it a stand alone title instead of DLC. Then they tweaked it even more then used those changes to make this game "remastered" for PS5 and PC.

It is a 12-13 hour game, which is a bit short. A 12-13 hour single player game can absolutely feel like a full game, but I am doubting Miles Morales feels like a full game. It is very much likely just a stand alone expansion which is fine. I just find it interesting that they charged $50 for it which it has 1/3 the content of the previous game. Seems more like a $30-40 thing to me.

It is a 12-13 hour game, which is a bit short. A 12-13 hour single player game can absolutely feel like a full game, but I am doubting Miles Morales feels like a full game. It is very much likely just a stand alone expansion which is fine. I just find it interesting that they charged $50 for it which it has 1/3 the content of the previous game. Seems more like a $30-40 thing to me.
Unfortunately, if people bought it, then Sony were justified in pricing as such.

Over on Twitter, Nixxes posted a screenshot of an updated settings menu for the game that will be there on launch:

FZ1GHAfWQAA3kde?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

They have added more control over ray-tracing as well as new options under geometry.

Over on Twitter, Nixxes posted a screenshot of an updated settings menu for the game that will be there on launch:

They have added more control over ray-tracing as well as new options under geometry.

the additional ray-tracing sub-options are a nice touch to fine tune the ray-traced reflections- Reflection resolution, Geometry detail and Object range

Will be interested in seeing how this runs. No DLSS? Would make ray tracing unplayable for my RTX 3070 most likely.

I think my 3080 will be fine at native 1440p with everything maxed out (including ray-tracing)...from yesterday's reviews it seems like high-end rigs will be fine...mid-range systems might have some issues but Imsomniac seems to be quick to fix things with patches

I'm curious about the DLAA performance hit...this is the first game I've played with DLAA

The issue with KBM on games like this is from the limited input of WASD. The left joystick on a gamepad obviously gives you a lot more precise directional input.
I played all the Arkham games, Assassin's Creed games, Shadow of Mordor/War, and Witcher 3 with KBM even though most people wouldn't. What you end up doing is using your camera angle (mouse) to quickly fill in the gaps between WASD. It's quite tricky and usually involves flinging your camera all over the place. It requires a precise mouse hand, fast reflexes, and situational awareness.

I agree that directional movement is more precise when using a controller (directional rolling in particular for the Dark Souls/From Software games) but it's also a bit overstated...I can play them fine and dominate with kb/m...I've played every game that people say is unplayable with a kb/m (all the Dark Souls games, Sekiro, Arkham trilogy etc) and there are no issues at all...the important thing is to remap the controls to your liking

the problem is that too many people have gotten used to a controller and they don't take the time to remap the controls on PC...I use the arrow keys for movement (not WSAD) as the one constant so I customize everything else around that...some games require more extensive customization and experimenting (I also like using all 5 of my mouse buttons)

I absolutely prefer kb/m for most things, but these types of games I absolutely prefer the controller. I can't imagine not having the analog input for movement which is important to vary speed. Additionally, I do enjoy having the rumble feedback for these types of games. I'm excited to try out the improved haptic feedback and adaptive triggers in this game.

I hear the DualSense features in this game aren't all that impressive (haptic feedback is better than the adaptive triggers)...all the reviews I've read say kb/m support is excellent in this game and maybe preferred over a controller...timestamped video...

Other than mega twitchy FPS games (which have kinda died out), I don't use KB/M for anything except working. Once I crossed over into playing with pads, there was no going back.

I hear the DualSense features in this game aren't all that impressive (haptic feedback is better than the adaptive triggers)...all the reviews I've read say kb/m support is excellent in this game and maybe preferred over a controller...timestamped video...

They likely just took the exact same profile from the PS5 version for the PC. Spidy Remastered and MM were never the best showcases for the dualsense controller's features. Whenever Returnal releases that will be the true showcase for everything the DS offers, the adaptive trigger and haptic support on that game is freaking awesome.

The controls will make or break this game for me. I'm personally worried about how well the web-swinging is implemented. If it's poorly done, I won't play it more than 5 minutes.

The controls will make or break this game for me. I'm personally worried about how well the web-swinging is implemented. If it's poorly done, I won't play it more than 5 minutes.
It was praised heavily on console, so I wouldn't worry. You also have keyboard and mouse controls on the pc some reviews say are even better.

Back