Marvell Loses Patent Case, Damages Top $1B

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though a jury has awarded Carnegie Mellon University $1.17B in damages for patent infringement from Marvell.

Marvell was accused of infringing two patents for technology to increase the accuracy with which hard disk drive circuits read data from high-speed magnetic disks, according to K&L Gates, a law firm representing Pittsburgh-based Carnegie Mellon. Through its verdict, the jury found that Marvell had sold billions of chips incorporating the technology without being licensed to do so, the law firm said in a statement.

the bad thing is most juries are incapoable of understanding technology and even if they award something in a verdict thety are often overturned in appeal by some ione with better knowledge of technology. the court is a bad place to figh these fights out .

What's itching at me is whether or not they willingly infringed, or if they just figured "Oh hey this works good lets do it", however I believe it's the former because no company is going to come up with anything that does well anything without getting 40 patents on it first. My guess is they may have come up with the idea, went to the USPTO found out it was already there, then said fuck it we're based out of Bermuda we'll still use it.

What's itching at me is whether or not they willingly infringed, or if they just figured "Oh hey this works good lets do it", however I believe it's the former because no company is going to come up with anything that does well anything without getting 40 patents on it first. My guess is they may have come up with the idea, went to the USPTO found out it was already there, then said fuck it we're based out of Bermuda we'll still use it.

I'm willing to agree with you. Its not like CMU is a small organization whos only goal is to patent troll. I have a feeling this is something that CMU has tried to work out with Marvell for a while now.

It may have been a calculated risk. If they can sell the technology and make enough profit, they'll be able to absorb the potential damages when (if) they come. Remember, they took money up front, money that could be used to reinvest (and make more money).

This seems like something that could potentially bankrupt Marvell...if indeed the damages are calculated at triple the 1.7 billion, wouldn't it?

How much of this "research" was funded with stolen money (i.e. tax money)? How many students who participated in the "research" used tuition funded with the same stolen money?

Thieves all around. Marvell has done nothing wrong since patents are an illegitimate form of economic rent seeking that do nothing to "encourage" innovation and are merely a tool of mercantilist privilege (and merely encourage the padding of the pocket books of shysters instead). Hopefully, they grow a pair and refuse to pay.

How much of this "research" was funded with stolen money (i.e. tax money)? How many students who participated in the "research" used tuition funded with the same stolen money?

Thieves all around. Marvell has done nothing wrong since patents are an illegitimate form of economic rent seeking that do nothing to "encourage" innovation and are merely a tool of mercantilist privilege (and merely encourage the padding of the pocket books of shysters instead). Hopefully, they grow a pair and refuse to pay.

Bath salts?

I just looked it up. The professor in question, Jose Moura, is in fact, funded by numberous taxpayer grants including those from DARPA.

Thus, the "research" in question was done with stolen money. Mr. Moura and CMU are the thieves, not Marvell.

Looks like someone discovered Libetarianism this week.

Feel free to discover yourself back to mises.org, friend.

I think Tolkien and C.S. Lewis created more realistic AND functional worlds than the world you have created in your mind.

But anyway, I got my degree in Engineering through a government supported place (taxes) with a government scholarship (taxes) and a government loan (taxes) and now I'm doing research and getting paid by Australian tax payers to do it and performing said research on equipment and in a lab paid for by US tax payers. That's right, I'm typing this on a computer paid for by Australian tax payers and will go to work and type on my computer paid for by US tax payers, so fuck you :D

I think Tolkien and C.S. Lewis created more realistic AND functional worlds than the world you have created in your mind.

But anyway, I got my degree in Engineering through a government supported place (taxes) with a government scholarship (taxes) and a government loan (taxes) and now I'm doing research and getting paid by Australian tax payers to do it and performing said research on equipment and in a lab paid for by US tax payers. That's right, I'm typing this on a computer paid for by Australian tax payers and will go to work and type on my computer paid for by US tax payers, so fuck you :D

In what world is taking someone's property without permission not theft?

In what world is taking someone's property without permission not theft?
You see that president's/queen's/kings head on the back of your money? It's not your head, because it's not your system in which you are earning money. You're welcome to go and claim your own land and make up your own rules, let us know how that goes.

You see that president's/queen's/kings head on the back of your money? It's not your head, because it's not your system in which you are earning money. You're welcome to go and claim your own land and make up your own rules, let us know how that goes.

I would hardly call a system that one is forced to use at the barrel of a gun legitimate. Fiat money is a scam in which the state, through violence, decrees that you shall only trade using their worthless bits of paper. It allows states to print an endless supply of money to finance their endless wars because people are not allowed to use anything actually valuable as currency.

I would hardly call a system that one is forced to use at the barrel of a gun legitimate. Fiat money is a scam in which the state, through violence, decrees that you shall only trade using their worthless bits of paper. It allows states to print an endless supply of money to finance their endless wars because people are not allowed to use anything actually valuable as currency.

Like I said, go start your own country, or move somewhere that doesn't have taxes. The world will never be the fanciful place you have invented in your mind and what you have invented in your mind would not work in the real world anyway.

Like I said, go start your own country, or move somewhere that doesn't have taxes. The world will never be the fanciful place you have invented in your mind and what you have invented in your mind would not work in the real world anyway.

No state would ever be content to leave a group of peaceful, thriving, people alone, especially if they were self-sufficient and did not use any government services. To allow such a thing would mean the mass exodus of the productive members of society leaving no money to give to the parasite class and no wealth to pad the politician's coffers.

No state would ever be content to leave a group of peaceful, thriving, people alone, especially if they were self-sufficient and did not use any government services. To allow such a thing would mean the mass exodus of the productive members of society leaving no money to give to the parasite class and no wealth to pad the politician's coffers.

I hear Antarctica is a nice place to live.

I misread and thought this was about the comic book place... I was thinking "what the hell was the patent on...spandex and capes? :eek:" :D

I misread and thought this was about the comic book place... I was thinking "what the hell was the patent on...spandex and capes? :eek:" :D

Ditto, I wondered what in the hell could they have infringed on, lol.

You know Dami as a libertarian myself it concerns me that there are folks out there that throw our views onto others in every single post they make on the Internet.

It's not a very popular method of communication and usually alienates people.

Two things I learned today:

1. Carnegie Mellon holds technology patents.

2. damicatz likes to settle down with a big fat bag of angel dust before getting on the [H]ard|Forums.

Why does a college/university hold patents? Shouldn't the professor and/or his students have the patents? Also, why does this university even need that much money? They already rip off students going there with tuition fees.

Why does a college/university hold patents? Shouldn't the professor and/or his students have the patents? Also, why does this university even need that much money? They already rip off students going there with tuition fees.

A college is a business.

I never use the Marvell controllers on my motherboard if I can help it. Thank God mine has an Intel controller on it also, so the Marvell ports sit empty. I don't bother installing their drivers anymore either.

couldn't agree more - universities & colleges incorporated as patent trolls = just kill me now

Apparently Damicatz will be using Ningi as his currency http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Dmn87-mDE although apparently he did write the section on banking in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Monetary Units: None.

In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but none of them count. The Altairan Dollar has recently collapsed, the Flaninian Pobble Bead is only exchangeable for other Flaninian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problems. Its exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is simple enough, but since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles across each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also the product of a deranged imagination.

:D

Only in America...

Actually, in Brazil as well. Universities own patents to things that are researched in them. If I recall correctly, the University, the crew and the head of the lab hold equal parts of the patents.

Except there would always be a "parasite" class that would gorw and become desparate and overthrow any "productive" society class you fantasize about.

This just in: Ayn Rand's ideas never make any good sense for governing.

The problem with continuing to support the "parasite class" is that they don't die in massive numbers anymore.

Hundreds of years ago populations would be maintained by massive amounts of disease, famine, or wars.

The numbers that die from all of those combined today doesn't even come close to what they were "back in the day".

What happens when the "parasite class" outnumbers the "useful" 100:1 ?

I like the nutty turn this thread took. "stolen" lol

But I do agree that it's a bit unfair for patents primary supported by public money should not 100% belong to the universities. It gets dicey how this could change though. Should the patents be available for RAND licensing fees, giving the university money, or should (part) ownership go to a quasi-NGO to fund future research? I'd like the latter since just cutting off research money would be counter-productive and minimizing rewards for innovation could also stifle research..

Except there would always be a "parasite" class that would gorw and become desparate and overthrow any "productive" society class you fantasize about.

This just in: Ayn Rand's ideas never make any good sense for governing.

Only if said society was full of idiots that instututed some form of welfare.

It is NOT the governments job to provide for those who refuse to work.

I can understand helping those that are not capable of working (really bad physical or mental illness), but even in that case it is NOT the job of the government to provide for those people.

In both cases, when a govenment does that, it is stealing from those who earned the money and redistributing it to those who didn't.

It is the responsiblilty of the people capable of doing it, to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves.

When government gets involved all that happens is a huge amount of fraud percentage wise.

Same goes for anything the government sticks their grubby hands into.

When you work for a University, you sign their agreements for intellectual property or you choose not to work for them. If anything, it's more freedom than what is allowed by most companies. You use their labs, their funding, they are the ones giving you your degree, so you sign something saying what you develop or part of what you develop belongs to them. If you don't like that, you can invent stuff in your garage instead, I know a couple of my professors were amatuer inventors at home in their spare time.

When you work for a University, you sign their agreements for intellectual property or you choose not to work for them. If anything, it's more freedom than what is allowed by most companies. You use their labs, their funding, they are the ones giving you your degree, so you sign something saying what you develop or part of what you develop belongs to them. If you don't like that, you can invent stuff in your garage instead, I know a couple of my professors were amatuer inventors at home in their spare time.

Yes. in the contract for the degree I just got there was a clause which said that they could use the rights to anything I handed in or something along those lines. Which is why for one of the projects I used different names and gave them a version missing certain things. :D

Back